Holy Crap! What Happened? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Yankeefan

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8l EFI, Clarion AM/FM CD, 35x12.50 Tires
Holy Crap! What Happened? UPDATE #2

I was giving the new-to-me bronco a tune-up yesterday. I decided that while doing so I would check to see if there were any codes in memory. I pulled what codes there were and then went about my business. When I got to the fuel filter I disconnected the battery like a good boy should replaced the filter, then reconnected everything and then went inside for the afternoon.

I go to leave for work last night, get out on the highway and I have no throttle response. The rig just bogs down and sounds like it is backfiring (for lack of a better description). It idles fine but put it in gear and try to accelerate and everything goes to heck! Help!!
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
If you checked for codes using jumper; was jumper removed?
If not, try the self tsts for KOEO AND KOER.
Post here by KOEO
and KOER

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
tune up?? so did you change the spark plug wires?

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Northernguy
4:20 Enthusiast!

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco 300/4.9,wee little stock carb. T-18.NP 208,9" Gotta love stock!
Was the filter installed the right way?
Originally Posted by Glayd View Post
dude, these things are the Chuck Norris of SUV's. It aint gonna get any better than a Bronco.
Northernguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Yankeefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
yo,
If you checked for codes using jumper; was jumper removed?
If not, try the self tsts for KOEO AND KOER.
Post here by KOEO
and KOER
Yup I removed the jumper. Would clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery cause problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
tune up?? so did you change the spark plug wires?
Yup I did the plugs, wires, cap, rotor. I know I did it right too because it drove fine when I went back to the parts house for my wallet that I left sitting on the counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernguy View Post
Was the filter installed the right way?
Yup...front towards front.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Late Model Man

Bronco Info: '95 351, ZF5, Dana 60s
Rare but possible you got a bad filter? Stick the old one and go for a quick drive around the block.

SuperFord 95 8-lug Bronco with some stuff...
Late Model Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
brunus

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
ewww its doing what my truck was doing.
mine turned out to be a failing fuel pump.
does it only do it when hot or does it do it all the time?
and then i'll have to start over.
brunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
BigWheelz

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
Put a motorcraft fuel filter on it and see if that fixes the issue
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo,

What are the Codes?

re your, "Would clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery cause problems?"
No, just some minor driveability issues; When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module (PCM) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more or to relearn the strategy.

Check batty cables/terminals
=============
Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993; & Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service, and Modify All Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks, 1980 to 1987 by Charlie Probst
avail @ BARNES & NOBLE, ETC.

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Yankeefan

Update:
So I made sure to pay much more attention to the rig last night on the way into work. Here are my observations:

If I am very very light on the pedal it goes but by light I mean featherlight just enough to get above idle.
When I go to take off from a light or stop sign if I want to get out in a hurry and try to get on it it just bogs down and gets all hurky jerky like its sputturing...same thing if I am at highway speeds and want to get on it and pass a vehicle. If I am light on it then it responds albeit slowly but doesn't sputter.

I did some searching on here at work last night and found that my issue could be one of three things; TPS, fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.

Now on the way home from church later this morning I stopped in at the parts store as I had some credit there from a return last year. Their TPS was only 28 bucks so I picked one up; thought what the heck. I am thinking that this was part of the problem as once I got in there I noticed the old TPS wires were splitting and cracked; could have probably been the original one on this rig with only 140k on the clock.

Changed the TPS today and took the bronco for a half hour drive. The bronco was definitely much better off but not fixed entirely. I did not have to be AS light on the pedal but I still could not take off in a hurry from a light or a stop sign. The sputtering was barely noticeable at highway speeds. I still had hesitation, bog down, sputtering symptoms when I put my foot into the pedal to pass or accelerate.

I'm thinking fuel pump. However, I know to be sure that it is the pump I'll need to use a multimeter and I neither have one nor do I know how to use one.

misek5, I pulled the codes today after my drive: I got 111.111 for both KOEO and CM codes. I got 538, 536, 532 KOER...basically nothing unless I am supposed to have two digit codes.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan View Post
I'm thinking fuel pump. However, I know to be sure that it is the pump I'll need to use a multimeter and I neither have one nor do I know how to use one.
And you'll need a fuel pressure tester. Just because the pump is getting 12 volts and working, doesn't mean it's supplying enough pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan View Post
misek5, I pulled the codes today after my drive: I got 111.111 for both KOEO and CM codes. I got 538, 536, 532...basically nothing unless I am supposed to have two digit codes.
95 are supposed to have 3 digit codes

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
brunus

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
i'd recomend pick up a new regulator and swap it in then test fuel pressure while its runnin.
a regulator is cheap and easy to replace.
and then i'll have to start over.
brunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo YF,
DTC 538 Insufficient RPM change during dynamic response test. "...This is another code generated when the dynamic response or "goose" test as some refer to it is not performed during the KOER test. The KOER test requires that after a certain length of time the throttle be opened to bring the idle above 2000 rpm for a short period of time. If the dynamic response test is not performed or the rpm's do not peak ABOVE 2000 rpm's this code will be generated. (Computer needs to compare changes in sensor readings at different RPM's to determine system operation and efficiency)..."
Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

DTC 536 - Brake On/Off circuit failure / switch not actuated during KOER test or shorted to ground
Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone
The brake on/off switch tells the powertrain control module when the brakes are applied. The switch is closed when the brakes are applied and open when they are released. The PCM uses this signal to disengage torque converter clutch when brake is applied.
Symptoms: Failed on or not connected Torque converter clutch will not engage at less than 1/3 throttle. Failed off Torque converter clutch will not disengage when brake is applied. by Steve83

===

So
fuel pressure regulator; pull vac line off, any gas or aroma of means diaphragm is ruptured.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Yankeefan

Update #2.
Still having the same issues although they are milder now. I checked the timing and the previous owner had ceverly retarded the timing. I set it back to 10 degrees and that mellowed the system.

Second, I've been driving it for a week now since this thread and have generated some codes finally...especially after fixing the timing. The check engine light will come on, stay on for 15-20 seconds then be off for 30 seconds to a minute then cycle back on.

Third, the codes I received are KOEO 526, 539, 216, 218, 542 - KOER 172, 538, 536, 632...I know that codes 526,538,536,632 are operator error issues when running the tests. However, the 216/218 & 542 codes I cannot find info on how to fix.

I'm going to put it on a mechanics engine scope Monday and find out EXACTLY what the issue so I can stop throwing money at this.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo,

Loss of IDM input to EEC or SPOUT circuit grounded.
212; Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) Troubleshooting; "...Identifying the correct module for your vehicle can be accomplished in a number of ways. First, always refer to the correct application in the Engine Management catalog. If that information is not available, check the wiring of the vehicle. If pin # 4 of the module gets a start signal (which should be battery voltage) from the starter circuit, it's a "Push Start" system. On the other hand, if pin #4 of the module is wired directly to pin #4 of the ECM, then it's a CCD system (refer to diagram #5)..." READ MUCH MORE Miesk5 NOTE; use BLACK CCD Ignition Modules in 94-96 Broncos; slow to load, Click Impatent?
Source: by Joe D at carquest.com via web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/201009191...ett3q00.CQ.pdf

DTC 211, 212 & 213; ping, rough idle, missing at speed; "...Misfiring, Rough Idle, Surge, & Ping-Knock Symptoms, due to a Magnetized Shutter Wheel, (Bronco & all Fords w/EEC IV & TFI); "...Inside the TFI distributor is a Hall-Effect sensor that provides an RPM and POSITION signal to the Ignition module and ECM for fuel and ignition control. Mounted to the distributor shaft is a "shutter-wheel" that passes through the Hall-Effect sensor. The slots or windows cut in the shutter-wheel are what makes the Hall-Effect sensor switch on/off to create the signal it sends out. The shutter-wheel is supposed to be a piece of "dead" steel but can become magnetized. A magnetized wheel can cause very erratic operation of the Hall-Effect and resulting erratic output signal. The Test: There are a couple of ways to check for this condition. One is to simply pull off the distributor cap and see if something steel will "stick" to the shutter-wheel. Make sure that whatever you are using to check the wheel with isn't magnetized itself. A more accurate method would be to watch the wave-form on the "SPOUT" wire with a Vantage or Lab-Scope. The SPOUT is the wire with the connector in it that you unplug to set ignition timing. Monitor the wave-pattern on the SPOUT with the timing-connector in. If there is anything erratic about the wave-form, unplug the timing connector and re-check the wave-form. If the pattern "cleans up" all of a sudden, chances are good that you have a magnetized shutter-wheel. The Fix: Most shutter-wheels can be removed from the distributor shaft with a couple of screws. Everybody seems to have their own way of de-magnetizing the wheels but good success has been had with bulk audio-tape erasers or by placing the wheel in an engine parts cleaning oven and baking it. That last one sounds weird but it works..."
Source: by snapon.com via archive.org and miesk5 at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...=193312&page=9

DTC 212; "...IDM is a feedback signal generated by the ignition system and is monitored at pin #4 of the ECM. Its purpose is to diagnose missed ignition primary pulses at the time the ECM commands the Spout signal to fire the coil. Since it is used solely for diagnostic purposes, if this circuit is not operating properly, it will not affect vehicle driveability; & by Seattle FSB- The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal is a diagnostic signal for the PCM to to verify a coil firing for each PIP signal. If an erratic or missing IDM signal is received, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC 212) is set. An occasional IDM signal may not affect drivability, but can still throw a trouble code. As SigEpBlue has stated, check for an intermittent ground on the spOUT and/or IDM circuit. Also, ensure that you have the correct Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it is wired correctly to the PCM..." Miesk5 NOTE; use BLACK CCD Ignition Modules in 94-96 Broncos
Source: by SMP via SigEpBlue (Steve) & by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=127508

more LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=230
=======

218 IDM circuit is malfunctioning
Verify IDM related codes again please.
Loss of IDM signal

=====

J10 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 542:
DOES ENGINE START?
DTC 542 indicates that one of the following has occurred:

No Start:

Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch not reset or electrically open (if in secondary circuit).
Open circuit between the fuel pump and FPM circuit connection to the power-to-pump circuit.
Poor fuel pump ground.
Fuel pump electrically open.
Engine Starts:

Fuel pump secondary circuit short to power.
Fuel pump relay contacts always closed.
Open in FPM circuit between PCM and connection to the power-to-pump circuit.
Left/front HO2S short to power (dual HO2S applications).
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
READ MORE

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Shane C.
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco, FI 460/1995 RIP
Seems odd that it was running fine then immediately after you tuned it up, it began running poorly. Have you gone back through to confirm that your plug wires are still secured properly and are all receiving spark? Cap is good, coil wire etc etc?

You may want to contact the PO and see if they have any info they can give you on the issue. Its possible they or their mechanic work around an issue instead of fixing it properly. Let them know you arent pissed, but you are trying to resolve an issue and see if they can offer you any info...

PS. Yankees suck

Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!