I need help! - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
miller89bronco

I need help!

So I bought an 89 bronco with a 351w. It started right up every time and ran great and ran for about a month untill this morning. It turns over but wont fire up. The fuel pump seems to work as I can hear it and smell fuel when trying to start. I then checked the coil focspark,The plugs and wires, put in a brand new distrib following the haynes book instructions. tried starting it back fired so im to believe there is spark but continues to just turn over and not start. does anyone have any ideas?
miller89bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
BigBud

Bronco Info: No bronco for now
Ignition module or coil. My bro-in-law just had his 94 460 where it would spark a plug in open air, but not in the engine. Did you follow the procedure to watch the coil lead flash a test light while cranking? Also, a backfire with no start on a new distributor is possibly 180 off. Worth a check. Also plug wires order.
BigBud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
AFBronco235
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
I had a similar problem when I changed out the thermostat on my 91' with a 302. The distributor was in the way, so I removed it. So, naturally, when I went to start it, it was doing the same thing yours is. Fortunately, haynes came to the rescue. I just didn't have the distibutor timed right when I reinstalled it. Got it lined up and tuned to where I wanted and now she's purring like a tiger.

What Hayne's doesn't mention is how you need to adjust the timing somewhat to get it just right. It may be that you're just that little bit off on the timing so the spark isn't getting the gas. At least, thats my thoughts on it.
1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors,

To Do List: light bar, paint, new tires (33's), new rear bumper w/ tire rack & jerry can holder, hi-lift jack

My BKO build: Project Farmhand
AFBronco235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Daves 88'

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco XLT,302, Tow package w/ limited slip, cat back exhaust, on 31's
fpr vaccum line smell like gas? replace it if it does. could be flooding the motor. bad mileage, and rotten egg smell is accompanied.
I can see the nuts now , the rod was in the way before . Thanks ,Bill
Daves 88' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
miller89bronco

The ignition module is brand new it came with new distrib. I did test the coil lead with a tester that allows me to view spark while trying to start. I tested the coil and plug wires with this method. I think one of my relays is bad but not sure which on it is, sounds like something rattling inside of it when I shake it around. Im sure that its not the fp relay. Im gunna replace it and see if theres any changes. What would cause my plugs to spark in the air but not in the block?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
miller89bronco

It back fired that once. I did a 180, still nothing. If its flooded should I remove plugs and crank over to get fuel out of the block?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller89bronco View Post
It back fired that once. I did a 180, still nothing. If its flooded should I remove plugs and crank over to get fuel out of the block?
Your timing is off for sure. Do you have a timing light?

Click here------->Timing the 302 or 351 by me

You also need to test your fuel pressure with a gauge.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
miller89bronco

So I tried setting the timing by your step by step instructions. No luck even close to starting. Still just turns over but starting to turn slower even with a charger on it. I pulled out all the plugs , cleaned and made sure they were sparking as I tried to start. Put em back in and nothing? I havent checked fuel pressure with a gauge but pours out the fuel rail. Should it spray out? Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
miller89bronco

Daves 88. Where is the fpr vaccum located at exactly?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
pull a plug wire off and stick a spare spark plug in it, ground it to the block and have someone crank the engine and look for spark.

also put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel pressure is.

I take it the engine ran fine till the dizzy, wire, plug swap?

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Daves 88'

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco XLT,302, Tow package w/ limited slip, cat back exhaust, on 31's
check engine light on? have you pulled codes to see if any are pending?
I can see the nuts now , the rod was in the way before . Thanks ,Bill
Daves 88' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
miller89bronco

Code 21 ect out of test range. Code 24 act sensor out of test range. Code 31 pfe, evp or evr circuit below minimum voltage and code 67 neutral/drive switch open or a/c on
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
miller89bronco

Jopes.. I didnt mess with dizzy untill it stopped running. It ran one day and the next morning it wouldnt start
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
rcracerx

Bronco Info: 5.8 m5od 33" cooper STT removed sway bars msd ignition, MAF swap with open filter, SAS, M15000
I'm guessing TFI Modual.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracerx View Post
I'm guessing TFI Modual.
new dizzy had a new module.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
miller89bronco

I dont know what to do. I replaced the engine controll relay and as I turned the key to the on position and poof something went up in smoke. I thought for a minute it was the relay I just replaced but worried its the engine controll module? The starter barely cranks over even while trying to jump like there just not enough power to start. Im dumb founded and dont know what else to do. Please help
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
lavsarge

Bronco Info: 1993 eddie bauer 351W, stock
I have just gone through exactly the same problem! I replaced MAP sensor, ignition modual, fuel pressure regulator, distributor, and coil. Also checked for any bad vacuum lines or bad grounds! After many suggestions I said hell the only thing I have'nt replaced...you guessed it, the computer and that finally fixed it. All of those things that I replaced according to the Hayes manual could have fixed the problem but didnt. I did not have any diagnostic equipment so it was the manual and a couple of friends to help. I hope this helps.
lavsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
miller89bronco

Lavsarge where did you buy your comp and how much did it run you?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
aquaholic33

Bronco Info: 1995 bronco built in 94. 3" suspension lift,vin N , 302 with ram air 33"tires
if you are geting spark and fuel it should start, backfire or stall. I still say timming. pull #1 plug and retime. #1 is if you are looking at engine close to you left side behind alternator. Remember 3 things to start a engine. Compression,spark and fuel. Check your Fuel pressure regulator (back right side of engine). Pull the vaccum line off the top and smell it. if you smell gas it's a bad reg. also check your (cant spell) enerser switch that kills the fuel . it's located inside the truck on the passanger side kickpanel. if that switch is tripped for any reason it kills the fuel flow, and the gas smell could be left over from what was in the lines.Good luck
aquaholic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!