4x4 problem - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
ean

Bronco Info: -95, 5.8L V8, 4'' RC Lift, 35 BFG MT, 15'' mt sidebitter, 3" body
4x4 problem

I have a 95 xl (so everything in it is basic, nothing fancy) and I'm about to do a 3 inch body on it. Obviously you have to have a steering extension, which I got in the kit, but a family friend of mine did a body on his jeep. Yes I know jeeps and Broncos are different rigs but he said he needed an extension for his 4x4 to engage, now do I need to get one or will I be fine without it?

Any advice on making this lift go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ean
ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Fox005
The Original FullSize

Bronco Info: 78XLT Ranger,6"and35x12, Built351,Race Rad,Roll Bar,100MPH Speedo,Tach,LED Lights ,
The length is going to be an issue as far as reach but its almost a straight and should still work but I'd cut it below the boot and extend it with a weld on sleeve it to have it up where you can reach it at stock height or even a bit taller .Im not a fan of any bolt on extension on the t case thats One piece you don't want failure with when you need it or have it rattle loose. You might consider electric fans since the radiator fan and shroud will not be centered. Body lifts have a few quirks and can take as long or longer to install as any suspension lift . Be careful with the e-brake cable !
Fox005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
brunus

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
i have a huge piece of advice.
throw it away and spend the extra cash on a suspension lift instead.

i despise body lifts.
but if your dead set to do it do it right.

parking brake cable will not be long enough. it'll end up in a bind and eventually break when you need it most. get a longer one or make a bracket to reposition it.
your fan shroud doesn't match up proper after a body lift. you'll need a different fan shroud or go with electrics.
theres no extension needed for the steering. the steering shaft has enough slack in the slip to travel the length you need.
bumpers will need to be readjusted to match up proper. this means new brackets. do not cut and re weld the frame to make it work.
if your driving an automatic you will need to adjust the shift linkage to properly go into gear.
the four wheel drive will still work just fine. its litterally a stick that pokes up through the floor.
my truck has a three inch body lift and the four wheel drive selector its still easy to reach and use.
double check the fuel fill neck to make sure it doesn't kink on you . pay attention to fuel and brake lines while doing the lifting. don't want to damage any of those. same goes for transmission cooler lines.

over all just pay lots of attention to every thing.
go over the whole rig and look for anything can connects from body to frame and make sure it will all still reach.

and don't forget there will be more body roll after you do the lift. and if your off roading the body of the truck will be able to twist more so don't be surprised when you get some wrinkled sheet metal.
and then i'll have to start over.
brunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!