Loss of ALL power but only when I turn the key - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
youngkidoldbronco

Bronco Info: 1993 eddie bauer
Loss of ALL power but only when I turn the key

I'm getting the feeling that I am on this sight a little too much, but I'm getting my Bronco slowly up and running . Anyway the problem for this week is a loss of power. I have a semi new battery and it seems to have power. I was going to hook up some off road lights when this all started but anyway heres what happens. With nothing connected to the battery except for the ignition power wire (no lights, no amps, speakers, sterio). I get in and I turn the key forward and all the lights on my dash come on the door starts to chime(I have the door open) then when I continue to turn the key to start cranking the engine, it all just cuts out. The lights on the dash go out the dome light goes out everything goes out. I have replaced my starter about a year ago and when that was dead I would turn the key and hear a single click and that is all but that was the starter, but now i dont even get the click so its like even the starter gets no power. I'm not sure what is going on and need this fixed asap. Everyone on this site is great at giving me great info so I want to thank everyone in advance for all your help.
youngkidoldbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
freeulster

Bronco Info: 1987 Silver and Blue 302 EFI 6" lift, 35" BFG's, man hubs
could be the starter switch. Turn the key to the run position and short the two large nuts on the starter solanoid on the fender with a long screw driver or similar tools WITH a plastic handle.
freeulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Jasonhughes2009
I scrape on both sides

Bronco Info: another rig that runs on crapoline
your battery seems to or does have power? do yourself a favor and go out to harbor freight and get one of their 2.99 multimeter. does voltage, amperage, and resistance and is a great tool for any technician.

check the ACTUAL voltage of your battery, check all your fuses, report back. although in the back of my brain I'm leading towards faulty ignition switch.

also, did you put any kind of circuit protection in the wiring to the lights? disconnect the lights and see if the problem is still present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroc14 View Post
If only I could have 6 of his 32 inches!
Jasonhughes2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
87Roughneck

Bronco Info: '87 Bronco Custom; 300cid EFI w/ 3" exhaust; 35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MTRs on 15x8; 2.5" lift
Sounds like a bad connection- it's loosing it when a load is applied. Check the battery cables and all of their ends- especially the ground(s). You could also have a bad cell in that "semi new" battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Is he STILL arguing this? I put him on my ignore list years ago, so I don't have to read his ranting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
Years? He's only been here since February of this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
87Rougneck knows his shit, even though he can be a dick. I'd listen to him.
87Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
youngkidoldbronco

Bronco Info: 1993 eddie bauer
could it be possible that the battery is just toast. I have all of my subs and amps hooked up to it and the battery is four years old now. I dont do stuff like run the subs with the engine off but still. I also have fuses mid wire on all of the lights, and everything is disconnected now and it still wont work. Someone said the ignition switch but would that cause all of the power to go out? if so how is that replaced.....or actually ill just search it.
youngkidoldbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngkidoldbronco View Post
With nothing connected to the battery except for the ignition power wire...
What do you mean? Aren't you using the stock battery cables? Or are you connecting a bunch of individual wires to the battery positive? This is how it should look - if yours is different, post pics:

If your battery cable terminals aren't original, or if they appear dirty or damaged in any way, click this & read all the captions:

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Tullio
RAAAAAH!

Bronco Info: '90 FSB, SAS'ed, locked, geared, caged, gutted, built and filthy
Seen this happen a bunch of time. Bad battery connection or cables.

Disconnect both battery cables, inspect them, clean them, clean the terminals, look for a damaged cable.

Basically, only a little bit of power is getting our of your battery. Enough to power dash lights and such but when you throw the starter into the mix, the shitty connection can't supply enough power.

302 roller, GT40 heads, E-fan, off-road cam, headers, 35x14.5 Pitbull Bias Rockers, 10" aluminum wheels, 4.56 gears, rear Detroit Locker, front Truetrac, built AOD, Kodiak auto steps, custom exhaust, full 2" DOM cage, PRP reclining suspension seats and harness, D44 SAS, 1.5" DOM/heim steering, Deaver coils, Bilstein 7100 14", F350 brakes
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
ModIt
Size Matters. I'm a

Bronco Info: 89 XLT, Stock 302 and AOD Trans.
My bet is the battery. Has enough reserve to power a few dash lights but when it goes for crank it kills the battery. Dead Cell or two will kill it to not even make the Solenoid click. Get a Jump and see if it will start or turn over.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
Ryan87LX

Bronco Info: 89 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AOD
I've also seen this with bad cables. You can test it by measuring the voltage across the two battery posts and then the positive post to an engine/frame ground - when it is acting up. It it's a bad cable you should get good voltage across the posts, but a different # from the ground to the positive post.
Ryan87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!