If it were a chevy she would never be running after last night - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Spaz337

Bronco Info: 92 nite edition 31" bfg's
If it were a chevy she would never be running after last night

Well, let me start by saying when it's cold in Louisiana it's painfully cold. Something about the humid air just makes it unbearable. I have 3 pins, 5 screws and a brass plate and it sux. It's been cold and raining for over a week and it will be for another week. In that time I've failed to do some maintanance. I know better, I trade vehicles often. I haven't even done a full tuneup/flush on this one yet. I changed the oil and went back to factory spec, she started leaking like crazy. I forgot to keep checking it in all this cold and only checked my coolant when I got it. I've had moisture on the dipstick and suspected a head gasket or crack but never saw smoke at all and assumed it was condensation... So Im doing 70 with the music up and no heat (it had quit blowing hot when it got real cold) and go to take a turn and no powesteering! No power! So I throw it in neutral real quick and turn the key, sounds like a dead charging system. I roll into A lot and go to unhook my kintek hc2400 and smell smoke, like oil. Gauges are reading great, and had been all night. At one point at after a long idle the temp went up to about 2/3 in the margin but went back to center on the highway. So, I pop the hood and smokes everywhere. I pull the dipstick and it fries the oil as I'm pulling it out! The draw on the starter was the motor siezing up, not a dead batt! If it weren't for my kinetik I don't think it woulda even turned over. I bumped it a few times while it was cooling... During this my girlfriend got lost trying to bring me oil and coolant/water and got my parents truck stuck In somes tweekers yard in a trailer park trying to turn around. I had to walk like 2 miles and get her gas it and sling mud on me while I pushed it out. freakin sucked! So I topped her off and she fired up. Lifters tapped a minute and quit. I made it home, "meditated on it", and crashed. So, where do I go from here? Do I need to pull it down? Anybody wanna call me an idiot? Any links or tips? Thanks guys

Also, anybody have a good iPhone friendly image host?
Spaz337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
prchrman

Bronco Info: 94EB,302,auto,leveling springs,duals,33X10.50/15 BFG/AT,219K plus,3rd row seat, convertible windows
interesting
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Redwagon
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
Paragraphs, learn them, love them, use them.

Newest token Jeep owner....

Redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Spaz337

Lol @ red wagon... I've never wrote enough to need to make more than one paragraph. I figure it still gets the point across
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Spaz337

... And I guess I left out that it had no oil or coolant in it when I checked it. But the temp sensor and oil pressure sensor still read normal. Is there a way he could have rigged the guages? I noticed if I tap the cluster they move considerably. This truck is obviously "shoot and boot" (quick paint and get rid of it). It's got a lot of problems but I'm trying to get it right
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Gene1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
Paragraphs, learn them, love them, use them.
Glad you entered this thread with your awesome wit and helpfulness. I'm sure your post has to be one of the most helpful, if not the most helpful posts in all of FSB history.. I personally think when ever someone posts, you really should be way off topic (like here) with your responses

you should find the leaks and fix them. Hopefully you didn't do too much damage
Gene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Redwagon
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1219 View Post
Glad you entered this thread with your awesome wit and helpfulness. I'm sure your post has to be one of the most helpful, if not the most helpful posts in all of FSB history.. I personally think when ever someone posts, you really should be way off topic (like here) with your responses

you should find the leaks and fix them. Hopefully you didn't do too much damage

Newest token Jeep owner....

Redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
the oil guage is an "idiot light" in guage form. as long as you have 6psi of pressure or more, then it will always read in the middle.

defiantly find the leak. hope any damage is minumal but honestly the bearings are probably toast along with most of the rotating assembly. might have to start using some heavy weight oil. plan on rebuilding hte motor. run the current one till it dies. who knows it might last a long time still.

my motor in my 96 recently leaked out all its oil and ran dry when driving. it defiantly has problems but is still drivable for awhile till i can get it rebuilt. the first motor i swapped in my 88 was owned by somebody who never changed the oil. lasted about 30 minutes of hard running till it eventually threw a rod with no warning at all when starting. pulled it apart and found half inch of sludge throughout the engine that clogged all the oil ports which is similar to running the engine dry. have pictures to prove it too. the original motor in my 88 jsut before i pulled it, i ran it WOT 6k rpm for 10 minutes straight with no oil waiting got it to blow. evenrtually got bored and pulled it anyways. found all the rotating assembly still in great sheap amazingly

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Spaz337

@gene, awesome lol
@kingfish, thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

I figured I would describe it as it happened so maybe someone that read it will check the damn fluids before I did. When the heater quit I never thought to check the water because I "knew" it had water in it. I found the leak, Radiators cracked. The oil is coming from the rear main and I'm thinking either the head or intake gasket at the back. I really hope it's not a cracked head. So kingfish, how much am I looking at with today's prices on a budget rebuild on these 5.0s? My dads a mechanic and I had been wanting to freshen it up and fix the leaks but he just kept trying to talk me out of it but now i don't think he's gonna be able to lol
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Spaz337

On a sidenote, if you buy a jeep does the po pass on their gold chain and sandals or do you have to buy your own?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
;well depends on how bad everything is. if the heads warped then ull need heads. if the cylinders are scorched, ull need to either get the block bored. if the crank is damaged, ull need to get it ground down or new one. rebuild kits are avalible but it doesnt inclued everything needed. it all adds up very fast and thats jsut for a stock motor. any upgrades will be significantly more. usually its easier and cheaper to find a motor at the junkyard or somewhere but even then your taking a risk on condition.

to rebuild my 5.0 im looking at bout 1k me doing it myself assuming everything is in usable condition. i MAY have someone on here sell me a motor for quite abit less and it will have better heads already installed. the motor i got in my 88 i got from a friend for 400$ and it was recently rebuilt and runs amazing. really its abotu whats availble to you and what you think you can handle.

as for the jeep thing, thats between you and the po

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Spaz337

Thanks man! I hope I can help somebody soon. You guys are awesome
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
Hambone1983

Bronco Info: 1983 XLT 351W, C6, 33s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz337 View Post
On a sidenote, if you buy a jeep does the po pass on their gold chain and sandals or do you have to buy your own?
Haha... After reading this, wit beats grammar any day
Hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
GetBent4x4
Read the meme

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
Quote:
This club so packed, these hoes so drunk
GetBent4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
BigBud

Bronco Info: No bronco for now
Buy a real oil pressure gauge and see where it's at. What weight oil you running. If the oil idiot light wasn't on you probably still had at least 5 psi. If you don't have a rod knock now you might get away with it. If it was drinking water that bad then your heads were likely already toast. Put 15/40 in it and keep the water full and keep going.
BigBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
87Roughneck

Bronco Info: '87 Bronco Custom; 300cid EFI w/ 3" exhaust; 35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MTRs on 15x8; 2.5" lift
Quote:
And I guess I left out that it had no oil or coolant in it when I checked it.
Quote:
Anybody wanna call me an idiot?
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Is he STILL arguing this? I put him on my ignore list years ago, so I don't have to read his ranting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
Years? He's only been here since February of this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
87Rougneck knows his shit, even though he can be a dick. I'd listen to him.
87Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Spaz337

@ hambone and get bent- Haha! Thanks for the support
@bigbud- it's got a cracked radiator. I'm hoping the heads are still good but it did smoke on fire up since then so idk... When I get off work today I'll have more details
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
Spaz337

@ roughneck, $hit happens lol
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
BigBud

Bronco Info: No bronco for now
To really know about the heads and head gaskets without pulling the engine apart, change that radiator and pressure test your cooling system.
BigBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Spaz337

Thanks big bud! My dad thought it needed a head gasket when I got it bc the condensation on the tube. He said that or the pcv but he said the coolant looked "too clean" he said they probably flushed and bars leaked it. Now I'm thinkin he was right, damn dads lol... I'll do as you say this afternoon and let you guys know what I find
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!