96 Bronco rear whine - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

Bronco Info: 96 XLT/5.0/E4OD
96 Bronco rear whine

Just noticed this whine Friday. Didn't give it much attention. It sat the weekend, really presented itself on my way home today. Definitely coming from the rear. I can hear it well at all speeds above 20 mph. Very noticeable during acceleration and it quiets down when I let off the gas.

No other vibrations, noises, or clunks out of the ordinary. My speedo does bounce a bit above 75 but its been doing that for quite sometime. I've had bad wheel bearings and u joints and this sounds nothing like that.

2 of the 3 u joints were replaced a year ago and slipjoint greased.

Do I need to look at the driveshaft or is it more likely the rear end or transfer case? Plan to pull diff cover off friday and then check transfercase fluid and take it from there.

Not sure if the whining will come out in the video but i can discern it:

justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
JScatt
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's..much more to come
Ring and Pinion time perhaps

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
JScatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
JBfab

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
Could be the tcase pump has failed aswell. They will whine and youll start to feel more of a drag on the drivetrain. More gas to get up to speed and wont coast very well without decelerating.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
pull the rear shaft, drive it in 4x4. if the noise is gone, your ring and pinion is the likely culprit. The noise getting worse with speed and going away on coast is classic R&P failure. If the noise is still there in 4x4 (front wheel drive) i'd go with JFab and point at the t-case.

on another note, what is that roaring noise? it sounds like your tires are fawked....

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

Had a tire get out of round....its actually way better after about 3 rotations than it was originally.

Ill pull the shaft this weekend and report back.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Had a tire get out of round....its actually way better after about 3 rotations than it was originally.

Ill pull the shaft this weekend and report back.
That's "better''? holy shit, it's loud as HELL. i woulda cut that tire my damn self to get it replaced under road hazard.

Quote:
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

I cant here shit over the radio...Im getting my moneys worth out of those damn tires.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
redlineshifts

Bronco Info: 1996 5.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
pull the rear shaft, drive it in 4x4. if the noise is gone, your ring and pinion is the likely culprit. The noise getting worse with speed and going away on coast is classic R&P failure. If the noise is still there in 4x4 (front wheel drive) i'd go with JFab and point at the t-case.

on another note, what is that roaring noise? it sounds like your tires are fawked....
Quick question on that. I believe my transfer case has gone after inspecting my rear differential. My truck makes a similar noise, but when I place the truck in 4wd the sound goes away until I come to a full stop and start again in 2wd.
redlineshifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

Couldn't wait for Friday, pulled the fill plug on the 8.8. Got a magnet full of metal, some nice sized chunks in there. Not looking good for the ol 8.8.

I drove around the block a few times and the transfer case shifted in and out of 4 high and 4 low with no problems. To cold to pull the driveshaft, that will have to wait.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

I've gotten near that much on axles that had well over 100k on them....but yours is way under that...

and "too cold"? really? Come talk to me about cold, it didn't get out of THE TEENS here for the past 3 days.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

Plan on popping the cover off this weekend...pics to follow.

If I can't comfortably wear shorts...its too damn cold.

I do contract work for CTCA up in Zion, IL and I HATE going up there between the months of November and April. I know all about the cold up there and you guys can keep that shit.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Next time you're up here let me know, i'll buy you a beer.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
BeatNursery

Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0, E40D, with a bad attitude and a drinking problem...
Broncos Whine

I just got though having my tranny, my transfer case, and rear diff rebuilt. For me it was my rear diff and tranny. Mainly the rear diff though. And its coming back! Mechanics told me its bad bearings that cause this. I don't know if its true or not.

Last edited by BeatNursery; 01-23-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Additional Info.
BeatNursery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
gadawgz71
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 White Sport EFI 466 MAF/OBD-II, 95 Black XLT 351w
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
If I can't comfortably wear shorts...its too damn cold.
Amen. I wear shorts 96.7% of the time. If I can't wear shorts to work on the Broncos, its too cold to work on them.

Luxury of the south I suppose. We got up in the high 70's and low 80's 2-3 weeks ago.

Back on topic.....
1996 MB EB, KR Interior 302w-1996 White EB 351w, 3" BL, 33's-1996 PG EB 351w
1996 Wht/Tan XLT 351w-1996 PG EB 351w-1996 Black Sport 408w, tons, 40's
1996 MB EB 351w, 6", 35's-1996 White Sport 351w-1996 PG EB 351w
1996 M EB, 302, SAS D44-1995 Black Sport-1990 302w, M5OD, 3" BL, 33s
1996 White EB 351w-1993 G EB 357w-1978 XLT 351m-1971 Sport, 331w, 4.5", 35's
gadawgz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

R&P look great, no metal or chunks in the fluid or case that I could see. Took a look at the spiders and they felt a bit rough. No obvious damage and I'm not sure if they are supposed to be as smooth as the R&P. Filled it back up and went around the block, whine still there. Even had the wife ride in the back seat to get a second opinion on where the noise is coming from (I don't have the greatest hearing to begin with).

Pinion seal is not leaking and I tried to move the driveshaft around and got absolutely no play. Attempted to take the driveshaft off to drive on just the front but I could not get the pinion yoke bolts off to save my life. T-case side came out fine, but not even the 3/8 impact would remove the pinion side.

Are the spider gears supposed to be as smooth as the R&P?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Yes the spiders should be smooth like the ring and pinion. If they are chunking out that's a problem, and that floating metal may have trashed the bearings.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

They didn't have any noticable chunks missing, just felt rough.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
Yes the spiders should be smooth like the ring and pinion. If they are chunking out that's a problem, and that floating metal may have trashed the bearings.
If they're rough, I'm sure it's time for a rebuild. Did you actually pull the spiders, or just observed thru the carrier?

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
justin
BRONCO WIZARD

I just ran my index finger over them while still in the carrier.

It was my understanding that you normally don't get spider gear noise while going in a straight line, unless the working theory is that the fine metal particles from the spiders have trashed some bearings.

Debating whether or not I want to attempt to do this myself or not. We have a new off road shop in Columbia that opened up last year, might go by and talk with them Monday and see what they'd be willing to do it for.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Spider gears usually just crunch and lock up.

It's actually fun to learn how to rebuild one. If it's not your daily driver, why not try to do it yourself? There's plenty of help here

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!