Many Questions! - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
kiddsea2

Bronco Info: 95, XL, 5.0
Many Questions!

I just purchased a 95 bronco a few weeks ago and I'm trying to do things myself!! I have a few questions.

-I am replacing the front shocks and I have the quad suspension. The monroe shocks I have purchased say one is Inner and one is Outer. Could someone tell me which one goes in front of the axle and which one goes behind? Don't want to mix them up.

-Some people say you can easily change the shocks without lifting the vehicle, some recommend lifting it and then using the jack to raise the suspension back into place. I do not own jack stands currently, so I would like to do it without lifting. Just wanted to see what others recommend.

-The truck is a Florida vehicle, It is now in Michigan and has seen its first salt in the last few weeks. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for rust prevention? I plan on washing the truck alot, but still want to play it safe. I am seeing mixed reviews on undercoating. Some say rubber based undercoating like Ziebart is fine, some hate it, and alot of guys like to use an oil based undercoat. And then there is DIY rubber stuff that 3M makes...

If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!
kiddsea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
kiddsea2

I know now which shock is inner and outer.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
AbandonedBronco
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1981 300ci 6cyl w/4bbl conversion. 4spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddsea2 View Post

-Some people say you can easily change the shocks without lifting the vehicle, some recommend lifting it and then using the jack to raise the suspension back into place. I do not own jack stands currently, so I would like to do it without lifting. Just wanted to see what others recommend.

On this, the short answer is yes, you can replace them without jacking up the vehicle. I've done it before. There is no load on the shocks and once you remove the nuts and bolts, they just fall right out. The only reason you may want to is because they're a lot easier to work on with the tire out of the way. It just gives you more room. You'll be glad you did.
Jack stands aren't too expensive.

If not, turn the steering wheel to full lock one way or the other depending on which side of the tire you need room on.

1981 & 1984. Both w/ 300 I6. Holley 600 4bbls. 31x10.5" tires. NP-435 trans. 2.5" Exhaust.
Supermotors Pics
AbandonedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
You're going to need the suspension to hang and the tire out of the way to make changing the shocks a not so horrific experience. One guy here fought for days trying to get a shock out, because he didn't want to (or couldn't) lift the truck. Honestly it's just plain easy to change shocks with the tires out of the way. Well worth the time to take those off and give you a grand canyon worth of room. Get a floorjack and jackstands, and take the tires off. You don't need to raise the suspension back up to meet the shock. bolt in the topside, cut the plastic keeping the shock in the compressed position, and slide the lower bolt in place as the shock extends. the first time or 2 will be awkward, by shock 4 you'll have it figured out.

Rust prevention, in michigan? Good luck. A lot of stuff in this industry is opinion based. Read different products and their reviews, and make your call. Many here like the POR-15. You could paint the underside/undercarriage with chassis saver as well. All of this stuff is MESSY. It'll much easier to spray this stuff on than it is to brush it. Definitely NOT a job for the middle of winter, it's too cold for the undercoating to stick. the surfaces also need to be clean too. Wait til summer, or pay a pro to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Welcome to FSB my fellow Mitten Bronco Brother! Where abouts?

The quad shock suspension shocks are different. The one that a bigger cap, longer in length goes up front before the axle, and the shock that has the rod or shorter cap goes in the back behind the axle.

Let's see some pics of this Florida truck. Also, get some jack stands!! Both 3 ton and 6 ton if you plan on doing all your work yourself.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 210k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 22 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
hizootiemizark

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.0
Just a tip. Be careful when removing the nut on the shock bolt in front of the axle they have been know to be easily broken. I did it when I first changed mine PITA. Use some penetrating oil and a wire brush to clean the threads and go slow screw it back down a little then brush again and you should be fine.
hizootiemizark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
kiddsea2

Thanks for all the advice! Bought some 3 ton stands today, and the shocks came in. So I will be doing those shortly. Sackman, I'm in Shelby Twp. so we're not too far away. Pics soon!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
buffaloroams
Man with a Golden ticket

Bronco Info: 96 blackout XLT Sport 5.8L E4OD, 4" Rancho w/ 35" MTR's
Nice start Kid.
Welcome to the Forum!
buffaloroams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
kiddsea2

Just did one side today. Good tools really make a difference. Was using my great grampas old stuff and could get a snug fit on any of my 3/4 nuts. Almost rounded out one the bottom ones. Then went to home depot and bought new tools!

Quick question, how tight should the tops of each shock be? I did not use a torque wrench. Tightened them until i felt some good resistance, but what worries me is the fact that the bushings are very smashed. Is that ok?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
You want to tighten them until the bushings squish out from the washers a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
mettler

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT / 1993 Lightning
Look into electronic rust inhibitors. Salt mine technology. Alittle more money but if it works for mining equipment in extreme conditions then I think alittle road salt should be no problem.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
kiddsea2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
You want to tighten them until the bushings squish out from the washers a little bit.
Thanks, finished them today and adjusted them. I guess i was just suprised about how much they changed shape.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
kiddsea2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
Look into electronic rust inhibitors. Salt mine technology. Alittle more money but if it works for mining equipment in extreme conditions then I think alittle road salt should be no problem.
Just looked them up, very interesting. Thanks for the info
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
TimLang

Bronco Info: 93 351w
POR-15 rubberized undercoating did a phenomenal job on my project. best Ive used so far. Ive used 3 different POR-15 products on my project. love it
TimLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!