95 bronco 5.0 stalling... please help - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
zachmunden

Bronco Info: 95 xlt 5.0 auto 146,xxx
95 bronco 5.0 stalling... please help

my bronco will stall on me while just driving down the road. sometimes it will stall while at a stoplight. when it stalls, it gives me a hard time starting back up. It idles fine, shifts fine. In the past year it has had a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, new distributor cap and button. and prob some other stuff i cant remember. the check engine light is not on. and it does work. Im thinking maybe egr valve. how to do clean these? ive also seen other people say tps sensor, distributor, maybe my fuel pump has an issue (the one i put in about 4 months ago). please help me, this is my first post so im not positive how this works. thank you,

zach
zachmunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
zachmunden

oh, and since this started happening ive been strictly using non ethanol fuel only. no difference.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
BroncoBuff777

Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco 5.0 (Eddie Bauer) 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmunden View Post
my bronco will stall on me while just driving down the road. sometimes it will stall while at a stoplight. when it stalls, it gives me a hard time starting back up. It idles fine, shifts fine. In the past year it has had a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, new distributor cap and button. and prob some other stuff i cant remember. the check engine light is not on. and it does work. Im thinking maybe egr valve. how to do clean these? ive also seen other people say tps sensor, distributor, maybe my fuel pump has an issue (the one i put in about 4 months ago). please help me, this is my first post so im not positive how this works. thank you,

zach
the first thing i would start with is the IAC( idle air control valce between the throttlebody and the distributor, its easy to clean and it makes a huge difference..Keep me posted on any change.
BroncoBuff777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
zachmunden

alright, im goin to go outside now and try it. thanks, ill let you know in a bit if it works.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
zachmunden

So i cleaned out the IAC with throttle body spray and blew it out with the air hose. put it back together and just to be sure it was working correctly, with the engine running, i unplugged it, the truck started to idle bad so i know its working. I wont know if its fixed until i drive it a few days.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
hizootiemizark

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.0
I had a similar problem a couple years ago. Cleaning IAC cured it. If it doesn't work for you check for codes and find out what is going on.
hizootiemizark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
zachmunden

yeah so it stalled on me today. went to autozone and it doesn't show any codes. egr valve?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
BroncoBuff777

Quote:
yeah so it stalled on me today. went to autozone and it doesn't show any codes. egr valve?
i have the same issue and i believe my egr is also the culprit..it doesnt pass my resistance test...it should be 5000 ohms and mine is 3600, which i believe tells me mine wont close all the way, or is it open? reguardless its done for. Keep us posted. I replac3ed my IAC but still have the start stall issue. Also if the egr is close to recommended specs it wont throw a code but youll still have poor idle.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
zachmunden

thats the thing though, it idles and runs perfect. just every 15 or so miles (average not always the same) it stalls while driving??? will cleaning the egr with carb spray do anything? cause they are like 85 bucks and that an expensive gamble for me right now
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Brettboat

Bronco Info: F150
Don't totally rule out the IAC. Sometimes they can get so dirty that you can't clean them out and they will randomly cause the truck to go crazy.
Brettboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
mettler

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT / 1993 Lightning
^I second that^ Replace the IAC
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
BroncoBuff777

Quote:
thats the thing though, it idles and runs perfect. just every 15 or so miles (average not always the same) it stalls while driving??? will cleaning the egr with carb spray do anything? cause they are like 85 bucks and that an expensive gamble for me right now
mine idles perfect also but my egr is still sticking...i would replace iac as others have said as well, then youll be able to rule that out. The egr can be cleaned but i cleaned mine and it didnt help, i think the diaphram in it is old. One thing you can do is buy an egr swap it, if the truck stays the same then you know its not the egr and you can return it, just dont tell them you installed it. Not the most honest thing to do but dude we need our vehicles for work and stuff. Also do a blow test on your pcv valve it should only let air in from the valve cover , one way only.( make sure you shake pcv valve when blowing to seat the pcv plug in its slot or it will seem like a leaky pcv valve).Sounds like its happening caused when the truck is warm, no? Also remove your throttle body and clean it, youll be stoked you did.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
zachmunden

alright, ill try replacing the iac this evening. and yes it only does it when its warm. where is the pcv valve on these trucks? and ill probably do both of those before removing the throttle body. i appreciate it guys!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
BroncoBuff777

Quote:
alright, ill try replacing the iac this evening. and yes it only does it when its warm. where is the pcv valve on these trucks? and ill probably do both of those before removing the throttle body. i appreciate it guys!
back leftside if your looking at the motor just barely under the intake manifold on top of the valve cover. You can pull it out with your hand and then dissconect the tube that connects to it and inspect it. Replace the grommet that holds in the pcv valve.Also get a motorcraft because the cheap ones dont seal properly.( imagine that ). I know your anxious to get this issue solved but if you have time , remove your throttle body , clean it, replace the gasket, also remove intake manifold and repplace the gasket. Its easy you can do it. Knowing what the issue isnt will help you find out what the issue is. Keep us post on how its running.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/7...llsize/pcv.jpg
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
zachmunden

So... I replaced the IAC and inspected the PCV valve and it was driving fine for about 3 days. then today on the way to work it tried to stall but fired back up on its own, 2 times. then when i got off of work it took about 6 minutes to start. I replaced the fuel pump about 5 months ago and im thinking maybe one of those wires has a bad connection now. any ideas???
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
Sloride75

Bronco Info: 86 w/ 302 and C6 from my 83 that had 4.56's and 35's, hacked fenders!
A bad IAC won't cause it to stall when you are driving, the butterflies are open then! Sounds like a wiring issue to me.
Sloride75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
zachmunden

i dont know what is wrong with that thing. it keeps stalling and firing back up on its own while driving. and its an automatic. im just so lost. i reckon im gonna take the throttle body off and clean it this weekend. if that doesnt work im just goin to take it to a mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!