Got Rust - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Beast469

Got Rust

I have a 1996 bronco with some really bad rust. the driver side wheel well is totally rusted out. For that i am going to get a patch pannel the question i have is about the end of the bed. i took the trim up and i could see the ground. the actual piece that goes across and connects to the frame to support the tailgate is rusted through. i have been to three body shops and two welders. one bodyshop said they wont work on rust, another said that he could just patch it and not to worry about it, another said it was a lost cause. one welder said he had to take the whole truck apart another said he could just patch it. i am looking to use this truck heaveily as my daily driver, work truck, and light trail rig. I need to be able to tow with it and carry heavy loads so i want to fix it right. looking for advice, picture to be uploaded soon. thanks
Beast469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
bigbadwolf177

Bronco Info: 1990 bronco stock 302 k@n filter custom dual exhaust ok just got a 96 bronco 5.8
hey beast, yes there is rust always in bronco i have fix two bronco's my 90 and 96 welded new sheet metal on wheel wells and back half even had to replace support beam under rear door but the long term is sanding down everything then por -15 inside and outside of the bronco to never rust again but on my 96 i took it one step further por-15 inside and outside whole truck and then used some por-15 marine paint and painted whole truck so no salt can eat truck away anymore but now the truck is in better shape for daily driver
bigbadwolf177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Beast469

thanks wolf i had never herd of por 15 i was gonna use Hurculiner but have been reading up on por 15 looks like a good idea how did replaceing your support beam go did you do it yourself do you have any pictures
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
mickey556

Bronco Info: '89 7.3/7.3 banks turbo, parked in storage.
Eastwood rust encapsulator may be you best friend until weather breaks to get started on your repairs, i have heard good things and will help the repair area from getting any worse in the mean time. I ordered a few cans last week, going to do some *stop rust temporarily* stuff on my F350 while i save up money to get a gallon of POR15.

What i plan to do, is seal the rust while there is still salt on the PA roads here, then im going to strip the eastwood rust encapsulator off, POR15. After cure time going to take some 220 grit i think, to the por15 to get some good deep scuffs in it (but not through to the metal underneath), and herculine it my myself. The POR15 seals the rust to prevent further, and the bed liner to protect it. Also alot of guys in their build threads said having the floor bedlined made the ride quieter. win win!

do the ENTIRE inside when you do it, so you dont have to worry about OTHER areas rusting out and then your back to work fixing it again!

FYI those support beams suck... i took my dewalt battery powered sawzall to the JY, and cut 4 of them out from various broncos, and pieced them together to replace mine. i couldnt source a new one, but maybe i was looking in the wrong places
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Beast469

I just looked up the por 15 looks like its 150 dollars a gallon pretty steep but not bad if it gets the job done how did your support beam repair turn out
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
mickey556

Bronco Info: '89 7.3/7.3 banks turbo, parked in storage.
turned out great! that was like 5 years ago, and it isnt re-rusting, i think its about the only thing on the bronco that isnt at this point in time. took me a good while though, piecing so many other pieces together, but hey, its the rust belt, no such thing as finding cherry used body parts!

EDIT!!!!!!

The POR15 is truely amazing stuff, about 8-9 years ago i did the underbelly of my 1988 monte carlo SS. Then scuffed it and threw on some chassis saver black on it. got about 7k miles on the car since, never sees winter or anything, but i have yet to have even the slightest breakdown from the stuff. Sure it dont see alot of use, but i painted it over wire wheeled rust on the frame and body... and its not showing even the slightest bubble in near to a decade... so it will get all my praise until it fails me.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
bigbadwolf177

Bronco Info: 1990 bronco stock 302 k@n filter custom dual exhaust ok just got a 96 bronco 5.8
hey beast , i got a gallon of por-15 on ebay for 126.00 free shipping but the marine paint cost more because the had to make it from factory but got navy blue color and got ride of that o.j white color now putting l.e.d lights for third brake light and interior lights to then also putting in the famous night rider light in front but tinted it to blend in with tinted headlights and blacked out grilled and bumper.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
bigbadwolf177

awww mickey i used to have a monte carlo too but now all fords
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Beast469

Sweet wolf where did. you get the led third break light at and Micky glad it worked well do you have any build pictures of when you were replacing the support beam
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
bigbadwolf177

well beast i bought led light on ebay for $39.00 and have led for interior lights to . but as for the support beam on the 90 bko, i am a fabicator so i had some old steel bent in a same fashion but when installed found out inch too low so had to fix ,but got tailgate to line up straight then welded everything in place but no pics at time .but the 96 bko im working on will be bought to b.y.o.b this year in mass if they have it again, but will have pics when completed
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
The Ol' Big Red

Bronco Info: 78' Bronco-Rebuilt 400m & Front/Rear Detroit Lockers
Man I wish I had similar experiences to use guys. Por 15 imo is not a good investment. Even when all directions are followed it can strip off, it such a touchy product and you have to use all of their cleaners and preppers. Rust encapsulator is much better, less fuss and prep. I had Por 15 strip off of all my frame and suspension after hours of work and lots of money....needless to say I have lost my trust in it

78 Bronco- 4" Lift and 35s, Front/Rear Detroit Lockers, 4:10 Gears, a Rebuilt 400M, all that Jazz
My Build Thread:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=213507
The Ol' Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
bigbadwolf177

thanks ol big red never used the rust encapsulator but will read on it but u must have same problem as us in eastern states cold and rust thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
Beast469

Thanks red good to know just wondering if you put a top coat on after the por 15 when it peeled off on you what. Product did you end up using and cool wolf id like to see some pictures from that show
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!