possiable tranny problem - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Blackbox8994

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco xl, 5.0 , was a county owned truck so its nearly mint
possiable tranny problem

I've been trying to find an answer to this to figure why my 94 with a 302 and e40D is acting this way.
From a dead stop if i try to accelerate at a normal speed the truck starts to go but at around 5mph the motor keeps revving but the truck does nothing then it jolts forward and then does this again around 15mph but once its past 25mph it doesn't do it anymore. If i baby it then it goes with no problem but its not realistic to drive like. That. My guess has been the tranny is obviously slipping but why? I thought maybe the transfer case but I've never read about similar symptoms.
Please let me know any ideas you have and I'm happy to answer anything you want or med to know - Nate
Blackbox8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
El Kabong
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, 3.55:1, sag, warn hubs, trans cooler, 35" bfg m/t, -73, 400, np435, 35s
Have you checked the fluid level yet? It's a basic step, but it wasn't mentioned.

stangmata's E4OD Diagnosis Thread has some good info that might help.

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
Start out with fresh fluid. Proper diagnosis is impossible with worn-out fluid. Mercon contains a friction modifier that can get depleted without the fluid smelling burned or looking dark. Don't bother pulling the pan to change the filter, it won't be dirty inside. Follow the instructions in this link. http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html
Use the search thread function to find E4OD articles and read them.
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Blackbox8994

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
Have you checked the fluid level yet? It's a basic step, but it wasn't mentioned.

stangmata's E4OD Diagnosis Thread has some good info that might help.

I checked the fluid and it was at a pretty much full. I've also read the diagnosis and nothing really matches what my problem is. I guess I'll drain the fluid and go from there
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
I should mention our Broncos have a short piece of hose on one of the cooler lines at the radiator for the purpose of flushing the fluid. The method in the link is fast, easy, and clean...
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo Blackbox8994,

Pull codes
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19
http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-co...mode__threaded

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "... The flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When it has a trouble code related to the transmission it usually commands full line pressure to try to protect the transmission from damage. Normally this is caused by a transmission slip code.
Is it Flashing?

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Blackbox, test your throttle position sensor. This will cause your trans not to shift until highter RPM's if it's giving off wide open throttle signals.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
BroncoBuff777

Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco 5.0 (Eddie Bauer) 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post
Blackbox, test your throttle position sensor. This will cause your trans not to shift until highter RPM's if it's giving off wide open throttle signals.
thats exactly what happened to me thats what i was going to say as well.
I would check fuel pressure and voltage as well.
BroncoBuff777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Blackbox8994

Update : I had checked the fluid level and it was barely under full so i topped it off anyways since it couldnt hurt but that didnt do much.
I pulled codes on two different scanners and i got nothing relevant to the things you guys have brought up. i have a code for the egr which i knew since it was deleted and i have a code for my shifter linkage not being able to read park.
I know your thinking isnt that a reason it wouldnt run right but its been that way since i got it and it hasnt caused any problems from what i know. the problem with that is the linkage on the column is worn so everything is up one ( ex reverse is p , netual is r, Drive is n, and 1 is d).
My guess is the tps maybe?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Blackbox8994

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff777 View Post
thats exactly what happened to me thats what i was going to say as well.
I would check fuel pressure and voltage as well.
It has fuel pressure for sure and do you mean voltage to the tps or voltage to the fuel pump?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo, What were the Codes?

need them to do pin-point tests and also go Diagnosis by Symptom - this is by Ford for a 96, but similar to your 94 exc for OBD II references
and for Transmission Range (TR) sensor, that is also ref to as the Manual Lever Position (MLPS)

Engagement Concern: Delayed/Soft Forward and Reverse Possible Component Reference/Action
209 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
No Electrical Concerns

309 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Shift Linkage or Cable Damaged, misadjusted
Inspect and service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the Transmission Range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.

Fluid
Improper level. Adjust to proper level.

Improper Pressures
Low line pressure
Check pressure at line tap. Refer to Pressure Chart No. 401 for specification. If low check the following components: pump inlet filter/seal assembly, main control, pump assembly.

Filter Assembly and Seal
Plugged, damaged
Inspect filter assembly and seal for damage. Service as required.

Seal damaged, cut

Main Controls
Bolts not tightened to specification
Retighten bolts to specification.

Gaskets damaged
Inspect for damage and replace.

Springs — stuck, damaged, missing, misassembled
Inspect for damage. Service as required.

Torque Converter Drainback (Initial Engagement Only) Refer to Torque Converter Drainback Test procedures in this section for diagnosis.

Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) Adjustment Info; "...back-probe the MLP line with a volt meter while in Park, and set it to between 4.277 and 4.736 volts (ideally at 4.5065V, right in the middle of the two limits). As a "double-check" afterward, pull the lever down to 1st gear, and again test the MLP voltage; it should be between 0.293 and 1.167 volts, ideally in the middle at 0.73V..."; Located on driver's side of transmission
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40055

Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) Pinpoint Test w/Connector Pin-Out Diagram
Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at SuperMotors.net http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/863652

Shift Cable Adjustment & Indicator Cable Adjustment in 92-96
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/434182

more E4OD Links in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=63

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
jowens1126
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
This is the key to your problem, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbox8994 View Post
Update : i have a code for my shifter linkage not being able to read park.
?
What code is that?

Could easily be a MLPS issue. You need to post the codes to be sure, but its a cheap and easy fix (<$50).

See this thread for replacement procedure.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191742

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
jowens1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!