Oil pan 2 one inch nuts new to ford - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Joeysz06

Bronco Info: 1986 stock 5.0
Oil pan 2 one inch nuts new to ford

I have just purchased my first ford an 86 bronco and can't seem to figure out how to drain the oil. It's 2 one inch nuts and an Allen wrench on top?
Joeysz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
post a pic, or just remove the allen?

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Joeysz06

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...1B2EBB22E6.jpg
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Joeysz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
post a pic, or just remove the allen?
sorry i dont know how to upload pics it seems if you turn the allen wrench as if you were gonna tighten it loosens but i cant back out the two nuts. there is a rubber washer on the end of the allen bolt that wont let me
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
JBfab

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
Yeah someone jerry rigged that up. Thats where the normal drain plug should be. Carefully remove that and try to find a new replacement. Should be a bolt with a plastic washer, check the HELP section at your local autoparts for one.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Joeysz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBfab View Post
Yeah someone jerry rigged that up. Thats where the normal drain plug should be. Carefully remove that and try to find a new replacement. Should be a bolt with a plastic washer, check the HELP section at your local autoparts for one.
ok if worst case i would have to drop the oil pan and have a nut welded on the inside right?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
JBfab

If your going to drop the pan might aswell replace it. They are notorious for rotting out and leaking/seaping. Welding on oil embedded metal is difficult at best. If you can get that rigged job out the original threads might be ok. Its hard to tell.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Joeysz06

Quote:
If your going to drop the pan might aswell replace it. They are notorious for rotting out and leaking/seaping. Welding on oil embedded metal is difficult at best. If you can get that rigged job out the original threads might be ok. Its hard to tell.
ok I should just swap the pan and gasket cuz its leaking any way just sucks all i wanted was an oil change. haha!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
JBfab

Yeah i hear ya. It sucks when you get a new to you truck and start finding where people got lazy and hacked things up for the next guy. Problem with my truck was alot was like that from the factory, hacked! Taken me years to redo there mistakes.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Joeysz06

Quote:
Yeah i hear ya. It sucks when you get a new to you truck and start finding where people got lazy and hacked things up for the next guy. Problem with my truck was alot was like that from the factory, hacked! Taken me years to redo there mistakes.
aw man i think the end of the road is fading with this truck.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
Take that ugly piece of shit out of the pan, ask for a new drain plug and see if it grabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
351w500
Ok, Ill admit it's Vagish

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
I would not mess with that until you are ready to do the job of replacing the pan, Get yourself a oil Vacuum sucker thingie and use that, they actually work pretty good.
351w500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #13
AFBronco235
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Replacing the pan can be a huge challenge for a newbie. You'll need a good shop stocked with some decent tools. Maybe even an engine hoist so you can lift the engine just enough to clear the support beam. IMO, if you happen to know a decent mechanic, a friend or relative, go ahead and change out the oil pan. I took a second look at that ghetto plug and now I think that the PO may have actually drilled that hole himself and plugged that POS into it. I say that because that looks a lot further forward than most drain plugs would be.

I feel I should also mention that, as far as what I can see in the pic, there is hardly any rust on the pan. All the oil seems to be leaking just from that.... "plug". That thing looks like they took some copper tubbing and used it as a "crush sleeve" with the set screw. Anyways, if you can salvage the drain hole, you can probably re-use the pan.
1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors,

To Do List: light bar, paint, new tires (33's), new rear bumper w/ tire rack & jerry can holder, hi-lift jack

My BKO build: Project Farmhand
AFBronco235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Alvin in AZ
AKA: Butthead

Bronco Info: '91 RoadQueen 351w-2wd-ZF camtiming+4* 265/75-16E's dual Ranchos F&R, SuperCab bench seat EEC=F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysz06 View Post
Is it just one of those fancy "drain tube" connections?
One of those things so the oil don't run out on the crossmember?

Maybe nothing is "wrong" just need to learn how to "operate" it. LOL :)

If it were mine, I'd hold the lower hex section (next to the oil pan) with
an open end wrench then try turning the upper hex section to see what
happens. ;)

Off hand, I'd bet that the original 1/2-20 threads in the pan are fine. :)

But, if the threads are stripped-out they (used to at least) sell 2 steps
of over-sized drain plugs for stripped out drain plug holes.

Betcha it ain't stripped-out tho. :)

Might buy a new drain plug (and a couple over sized ones too?) along
with the oil and filter and have at it? :) Return the drain plugs you don't
need... Parts house guys know the drill, they do that everyday.

Alvin in AZ
ps- Oh heck, is that thing brazed on?
Clean that sucker off and take another picture.
Alvin in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Alvin in AZ
AKA: Butthead

Bronco Info: '91 RoadQueen 351w-2wd-ZF camtiming+4* 265/75-16E's dual Ranchos F&R, SuperCab bench seat EEC=F250
x2 AF's "Replacing the pan can be a huge challenge for a newbie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBronco235 View Post
Replacing the pan can be a huge challenge for a newbie. You'll need a good shop stocked with some decent tools. Maybe even an engine hoist so you can lift the engine just enough to clear the support beam. IMO, if you happen to know a decent mechanic, a friend or relative, go ahead and change out the oil pan. I took a second look at that ghetto plug and now I think that the PO may have actually drilled that hole himself and plugged that POS into it. I say that because that looks a lot further forward than most drain plugs would be.

I feel I should also mention that, as far as what I can see in the pic, there is hardly any rust on the pan. All the oil seems to be leaking just from that.... "plug". That thing looks like they took some copper tubbing and used it as a "crush sleeve" with the set screw. Anyways, if you can salvage the drain hole, you can probably re-use the pan.
Alvin in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin in AZ View Post
"Replacing the pan can be a huge challenge for a newbie."
X3

I recommend pulling the motor when doing this job. It's a biatch to do in the truck.

I wouldn't mess with that plug until your ready to do the oil pan.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
All PO's should be IMO....you'll have to lift the engine to get the oil pan out due to the cross member as well as disconnecting the Y pipes at the exhaust manifolds and possibly the partial harness to get it up enough to get the pan out....PITA job but you'll want to resolve any pan leaks otherwise the oil will travel all over the under carriage....not to mention all over the driveway or garage floor....lol lol

Most auto parts stores sell inexpensive drain plugs with plastic O ring but they drain slower due to the smaller hole in the pan SOOOO if you can get someone to weld a bigger nut inside the pan you can make the hole for the bolt larger and this way it will drain faster when you change the oil and it won't come apart on the pan.

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #18
Sixlitre
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w500 View Post
I would not mess with that until you are ready to do the job of replacing the pan, Get yourself a oil Vacuum sucker thingie and use that, they actually work pretty good.

Ding, ding, ding, ding !!!!!!!! We have a winner !

Great advice to a newbie !

Joey I'd try something like 351W500 is suggesting. No it's not ideal, but neither is running oil so old and dirty it clogs your pickup screen. Just make sure the engine is warmed right up and then suck the dipstick tube !

Also, I wouldn't go blindly into an in-truck pan change as it ain't no picnic for a newbie. There's plenty of write ups here, with plenty of pics and opinions and tips.

I'd read em' all and see what you're getting yourself into.

Also, one more option for you. Not only do they sell new oil pan bolts, but they also sell slightly oversized oil pan bolts. They also make more professional oil pan bolt insert type repair plugs too.

Honestly though, on a pan that may well be 28 years old I'd be mighty careful trying to save the threads.

Best of luck and remember to get under your next truck and check for things like this before you buy.

Not saying you shouldn't have bought the truck, but you could have climbed out from underneath and looked "downright disgusted" at the guy and shamed him down a couple of hundred bucks.

Probably wouldn't have even needed to insult his parentage, just asked him "so, how many Chevrolets HAVE you owned in your life", inferring he got his training on GMs.

Sixlitre
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Probably wouldn't have even needed to insult his parentage, just asked him "so, how many Chevrolets HAVE you owned in your life", inferring he got his training on GMs.

Sixlitre
ahem! Malcolm! I started my training on Chevrolets with my dad's Venture and 18 months at a chevy dealer changing oil and small jobs. I'm no hack!

Although I am still most comfortable working on a Chevy (or my wee spectra) because they are familiar and relatively easy to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Sixlitre
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Apologies to you personally TheUnforgiven, but....

I worked at a Plymouth stealership in the late 70s and we saw some INCREDIBLE damage done to the higher end Chryslers by hamfisted GM trained mechanics in the town over from us.

These tools would hammer the $300.00 wire hubcaps onto the rims with rubber mallets, making nearly every spoke rattle on brand new R-bodied Fifth Avenues ($26,000.00 cars back when a Nova was $6,000.00).

This didn't happen just once and it didn't stop after the owner and service manager contacted the Chev-a-lay stealership and notified them. One of them rolled back to us with so much bathtub caulking in the spokes the wheels wouldn't balance ! (their GM answer to un-F@%&ing their hammer work).

It even continued after one of the NewYorker owners, a lawyer, sued their @$$es off in court and the judge reprimanded "the primitive installation methods" the dealership used. That went over in the pits in a big way !

These neanderthals actually ruined several A-arms trying to remove ball joints by pressing them out !!!!!!!!! Any mechanic I know, understands they screw in, just like every NASCAR ball joint (because they use superior Mopar design ball joints, even on GM nascars). Who-TF rivets on a wear item !?!?!?!?!? or welds on door hinges !?!?!?!?!

I got a call one day from one of them asking where the points were on a 74' Dart Sport 360. I couldn't believe I was answering him but I said "good lord man, we haven't had points on ANY of our cars since 72'.

They f#@&ed up a torsion bar(which ALL GM trucks finally adopted 20 years late BTW) removal so bad we had to get a welder in for the customer (after he had it towed to us) to re-do the frame !

So, I'm sorry if I included you in the ring of "hacks extraordinaire" TheUnforgiven, but......most every hack mechanic I've encountered was GM trained.

Sort of like "not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim"

Sixlitre (politically incorrect, as usual)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!