What is wrong with this picture? Front ABS sensor. - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
BoulderBronco

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
What is wrong with this picture? Front ABS sensor.

This is on my fathers 96. Not there to help out so trying to do it remotely. The ABS sensor block or shield was not there. So it actually made it easier to get the spindle off. But I'm confused. From what I remember there is a screw/bolt that boltsh through the sensor and into the spindle flange. The other bolt, the one that is missing in this pic, holds the block/shield in place. But I don't see a hole in the spindle flange for the sensor bolt. There is a hole in the spindle flange at about 9 O-Clock. Seems maybe the spindle did not get put on correctly last time? They got the spindle off no problem so it's not a big deal. But I told them that they should try to find a new/used ABS block and put it on.
Attached Images

BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
There should be two screw holes in the spindle that way the spindle is interchangeable for either side. It's just not showing in the picture due to angle. Actually, the hole is above the spindle in the picture for the block IIRC

As for the block, those sometimes have to get broke off because the bolt wont come out, or strips before it's removed. As long as the ABS was working before hand, I wouldn't worry about the block.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 211k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 22 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
jowens1126
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
your missing the brake shield, and the sensor shield.

Just dont beat on it till it looks like this.

The rear bolt is a 6mm 12 point that everyone has a time getting loose. PB blaster and heat help if theres enough bolt left. otherwise, you could have to drill it out. Since your shield is gone, dunno if you have a bolt broke off that once held it on, or if someone took it off and didnt put it back.

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
jowens1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
BoulderBronco

That's what's weird, is that there is no screw hole there. I've done this job a half dozen times and never seen one without the block. Brake shield was removed due to rust. Made it nice and easy to remove the spindle since they didn't have to mess with the block.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
The shield bolt misses the spindle. Its hole is clearly visible in your first pic just above (forward of) the shiny sensor in the machined pad outboard of the spindle flange. Look at jowens' 1st pic and you can clearly see the shield bolt hole doesn't pass thru the spindle.

BTW
That rolling-diaphragm seal that's still in-place in your 1st pic needs to be replaced, just like the inner wheel seal, and they come in a set from NAPA for a few bucks. Click my black Bronco in my sig and look thru the Brakes & Hubs album for the PN.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
billybobg

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer
The sensor bolt hole is straight down on the spindle. Yours is probably covered with crud. I'm considering having some blocks/shields made, but I'm really unsure of the market. I got an estimate but just don't know if I'm going pull the trigger or just reassemble mine.
billybobg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
The shield bolt misses the spindle. Its hole is clearly visible in your first pic just above (forward of) the shiny sensor in the machined pad outboard of the spindle flange. Look at jowens' 1st pic and you can clearly see the shield bolt hole doesn't pass thru the spindle.
I get that. But doesn't the bolt that holds the sensor in actually go into the spindle? I swear that's how mine is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
BTW
That rolling-diaphragm seal that's still in-place in your 1st pic needs to be replaced, just like the inner wheel seal, and they come in a set from NAPA for a few bucks. Click my black Bronco in my sig and look thru the Brakes & Hubs album for the PN.
Thanks for the heads up on that seal. I've never seen that before. What is the purpose of that seal and why is it just on the 95-96 trucks?
They already have it back together though so it's a little late. I would like to think they would have replaced it if it looked bad. I know they replaced the seal that goes on by the spindle bearing seal. Oh well. Not my problem.

I just realized that the hole I'm referring to must not be visible in this pic as it's right under the sensor. Remember my brother is working on my Dads Bronco 2K miles away.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco View Post
I get that. But doesn't the bolt that holds the sensor in actually go into the spindle?
OK I got lost on what bolt you were looking for in your first post. I can't remember how long the sensor bolt is, but yes: its hole is bored thru the spindle flange, and the hole for when the spindle is installed on the L side is visible in your first pic beside the unused sensor notch. The sensor hides the hole for its own bolt from that angle.

Quote:
What is the purpose of that seal and why is it just on the 95-96 trucks?
The inner wheel seal was revised in '94 for the 2-piece RDS.
Quote:
...they would have replaced it if it looked bad.
It's not an appearance part - it's like the wheel seal: you replace it any time the hub comes off the spindle.
Quote:
I know they replaced the seal that goes on by the spindle bearing seal.
If they ONLY bought the wheel seal, they bought the WRONG one, and it's not going to seal right on either side. Refer them to my Brakes & Hubs album - it shows the PN.
Quote:
...2K miles away.
Where do they live - Maine?

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech