question about saginaw pump swap issue - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
oakback

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom 302 C6
question about saginaw pump swap issue

I had a leak in my stock pump. Found the proper bracket and sag pump from a van. Bolted it in, and while trying to figure out which line was which, I put some fluid in and spun the pulley by hand. No fluid is coming out of either line. I guess the pump is bad? Is this what a bad pump does?
oakback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakback View Post
...I put some fluid in and spun the pulley by hand. No fluid is coming out of either line.
A teaspoon? A cup? A quart? If you're not specific, we can't help you. If you didn't fill the reservoir above the return inlet, nothing will drain out the inlet. If you didn't spin the pump enough to 1) fill the pump cylinders & 2) push all the air out of the HP line, no fluid will come out of the HP line. Hook both lines into the neck, fill the reservoir, and spin the pulley with a cordless drill.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
cajunrebel
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
Sag pumps are hard to kill. You probably need to get the thing primed and filled properly. I also got a full seal kit for mine from rockauto along with my remote reservoir from a JY Chevy minivan (mid to late 80s V-6). Its hard to beat a nice setup that doesn't leak. The pumps are also so cheap that you can keep a JY spare around for a few bucks.
"It is idle to say that combinations of old elements cannot be inventions; substantially every invention is for such a 'combination': that is to say, it consists of former elements in a new assemblage."
Supermotors
cajunrebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
oakback

I filled it up to just below the lip of the neck, and had my wife crank it up for a second. Fluid came out just fine. So I connect the lines to the rack, and put on the new belt.

Crank it up, and fluid is flying everywhere. It's leaking like crazy, from what looks like behind the pulley at the shaft. Good thing I paid extra for the warranty at pick n pull.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
JScatt
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's..much more to come
Use the one you have as a core and get a quality rebuilt unit from your local NAPA..don't mess with a J/Y pump

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
JScatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #6
cajunrebel
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
Parts to reseal the pump cost about $15 shipped. That is one of the attractive things about this pump. Rebuild pumps can be had for $30. You can pick one up at autojunk for $45 minus core and have a lifetime warranty.
"It is idle to say that combinations of old elements cannot be inventions; substantially every invention is for such a 'combination': that is to say, it consists of former elements in a new assemblage."
Supermotors
cajunrebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
oakback

Thanks folks, I'll just get a new one. At least the bracket works!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
oakback

Installed the reman pump, what a chore (swapped the pulley and fittings). I didn't install the cooling loop back on, I'll go back and add a cooler at a later date. It feels a lot better, just turning lock to lock in the driveway.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakback View Post
Installed the reman pump, what a chore (swapped the pulley and fittings). I didn't install the cooling loop back on, I'll go back and add a cooler at a later date. It feels a lot better, just turning lock to lock in the driveway.
Good job! I love mine and with 35's it turns with one finger and is quiet. Get a cooler when you can and an in-line filter too to remove any junk in the lines or the stock p/s box since you opened the system up, couldn't hurt. I flushed everything really good an went with a Dot 5 silicone fluid the same as I use on my brakes made by Valvoline since I'm a Valvoline junkie..... -Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBELOWBRONCO View Post
...an in-line filter...
x2 Magnefine = mightyfine.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
oakback

I definitely need a filter! I I filled and drained it at least once, then filled again after finishing up, ran it a bit, and the fluid looked like chocolate milk. So I guess I need to drain/fill again, add the cooler, and add a filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!