Passenger power window won't roll down. Electrical problem - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Dirtreynolds666

Passenger power window won't roll down. Electrical problem

So, when I bought my 88 bronco a few months ago, the passenger side window won't work. The left side is fine, the locks work on both sides, but the window doesn't. I need help. I did the test to check the window motor, and the lights didn't dim, so I'm pretty sure it's not the motor. It's not the switches either. Any suggestions, cuz I'm lost. Thanks
Dirtreynolds666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Bronco_Dick

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco rebuilt 351w 6" Rough Country suspension lift 35" Ground Hawgs on 15"x10" blue rims
Put power and ground right to the connector at the window motor. It should move one way, swap the wires and it should move the other. If no movement you need a window motor. Thats the easiest way I know to test it.
Bronco_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
With the door panel off, make sure the "regulator arm with the toggle" on the end have enough grease in the window track at the bottom so the window can slide up/down easily....otherwise you may need to rebuild the OEM PW motor, the originals fit better then any aftermarket so find an Auto Electric shop and have it rebuilt if necessary, it's what I did.....

I would also check the door switch, on the inside of the door panel button to the cosmetic chrome cover, they're available in the Help section of most auto parts stores and not that expensive, this is what the OEM wire harness plugs into, the drivers side is a dual switch and passneger side is a single.

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
the motor is bad.

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
If you've never seen it work, what makes you think the motor isn't the cause? Same question about the switches. The passenger window motor grounds to the driver's door skin (just like the driver's motor), so BOTH switches for that window have to work before EITHER will work. Click this, read the caption, then go to the PREVious & NEXT few:

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Dirtreynolds666

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just gonna replace the window motor, cuz I'll probly have to eventually. So, when I order the motor, is there a certain brand or kind that I should get? Also, should I order athe regulator too, and gears,etc...? And what is the difficulty in replacing it? Thanks so much for ur help. This is the last thing I need to do to the truck for it to be finished( except for new tires).
Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
You're better off taking the original OEM PW motor to an Auto Electric Shop and have it rebuilt, the cost is probably the same as for a new after market one which more then likely won't fit in correctly, plus you get to keep the OEM original and integrity that fits "perfectly", that's what I did.

You can drill out the rivets for the PW motor on the door sheetmetal but you'll need to drill out the mounting holes a little larger to accomodate the slightly larger grade bolts you'll need to mount the motor. I used a bit of heat shrink on the middle of the new bolts so they'd fit nice and tight going thru the PW mounting holes as they didn't quite fit exactly, nuts, lock washers and bolts and you're good to go and a lot easier to repair in the future if need be..

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Steve83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtreynolds666 View Post
I think I'm just gonna replace the window motor, cuz I'll probly have to eventually.
Using that logic, you might as well replace the truck. Throwing part$ at a problem rarely fixes it, unless you do the WHOLE vehicle at once.

. .
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Dirtreynolds666

Ok Steve, I totally get ur sarcasm. I'm not an electrician, nor a mechanic. Just lookin for some advice. That's all.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Dirtreynolds666

And yes, I am doing the whole vehicle at once.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
Steve83

It's not sarcasm - it's hyperbole (poetically). There's a difference. Logically, it's extrapolation. Practically, it's good advice.

. .
Old 05-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
Then again sometimes it makes sense to just replace the part it "probably" is on the chance that it'll fix the problem, than to pull your hair out and waste a bunch of time you'll never get back trying to make SURE that's the problem.

I've wasted so much time trying to save a few dollars here and there... its not worth it unless you don't value your time at all.

then again, i'd put a volt meter across the 2 wire plug going to the motor and see if there is voltage when the window switch is pressed, if you want to know for sure weather it's the motor or not (no point in tracing out a ton of wiring)

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
Dirtreynolds666

No Steve, it wasn't good advice. Once again, I didn't ask a question to get some smart ass remark, and your smart and cute use of words doesn't impress me in the slightest. So, in the future, maybe if your gonna be a decent person and just help someone out, then just be nice and help them out. If your just gonna be a know it all Internet douche tough guy, then don't bother answering my questions. If u wanna go any further, I'll give u my address and we can just meet up and figure it out. Thanks, I didn't appreciate your help. Everyone else, thanks so much, the problem is fixed, and I'm that much closer to getting this beast done. Thanks so much, except for u, Steve.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
gaxlt

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco XLT 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
It's not sarcasm - it's hyperbole (poetically). There's a difference. Logically, it's extrapolation. Practically, it's good advice.
The nerve of you to try to help someone!

I haven't been on here long but long enough to know you have provided a wealth of info, pictures, mods etc. and to appreciate what good advise you offer.

Thanks!
gaxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Steve83

Quote:
Once again, I didn't ask a question to get some smart ass remark...
And that's NOT what I gave you. Take a look at how I answered your question. But if you prefer dumb-ass remarks, just mention that next time, and I'm sure you'll get plenty.
Quote:
...your smart and cute use of words doesn't impress me in the slightest.
Would you have been more-impressed if I had used stupid & ugly words?
Quote:
If u wanna go any further, I'll give u my address and we can just meet up and figure it out.
Figure what out? You said it was fixed. And I don't make house-calls, anyway. You couldn't afford me.

. .
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
onebighow

Power Windows - Grrrrh

Hello All: I just joined this forum yesterday. I have never been a member of a group of this type before. I recently purchased a 1987 Ford Bronco XLT, with the 5.0 and it has turned out to be a larger project than described when purchased. My passenger window does not go up or down with either side switch, but the drivers window works fine. Also the rear window switch does not work, but the key works fine. So I think (and thats dangerous) that I need to get a switch for the rear window and do some testing on the passenger window. I would appreciate all of the help I can get. I have been a Ford guy for most of my life and here's my project. Thank you in advance, Howard.
onebighow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
Steve83

For the passenger window motor to work, BOTH switches have to be installed & working. A fault in either switch will disable the motor. The t/g is wired the same way, so you can't ID a bad switch without testing BOTH of them (and technically, the key operates 2 switches, so it's really 3 for the t/g). Study the diagram I posted above, and these:

. .

. .
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #18
Dirtreynolds666

Sorry, maybe I read it wrong, maybe I didn't, I'm just trying to get my truck in great running order, and I haven't had any luck untill I got on this forum. I appoligize Steve for taking your words the wrong way, it's just been hell to get a solid decent answer anywhere else. I appreciate your input, maybe I just took it the wrong way. My knuckles are bleeding and my eyes are stinginging from the countless hours I've put on this truck. Again I'm sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!