no speedo, no odometer, hard shifting - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
evomind

Bronco Info: 94, 6" lift, 35" tires, 351, 4x4 manual hubs
no speedo, no odometer, hard shifting

Hey guys, I did read through the suggested search topics but need more clarification.....
Driving along all of a sudden I notice my truck hard shifts and I look at the dash and speedo reads zero and the odometer LCD is blank.
The Overdrive light is NOT blinking, no check engine lights, no ABS light.
Dome lights don't work, remote door locks/unlock inoperable from key fob.
I pulled fuse number 8 and it appears to be blown.
No prior speedo issues b4, meaning it didn't jump or waver when indicating speed.

Recent work on Bronco was a new battery and Rubberized under coating with rust inhibitors by Eastwood. I don't think any of that would affect a sensor but I figured I would list it.

Other than the obvious the truck runs as normal.

Whats the most common fix? I haven't had a chance to just try swapping in a new fuse, as I assume it blew for a reason.
Thanks in advance guys.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
96XL_Nubian

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 351w e4OD
i believe the psom and the locks run off the same circuit, which would explain a lot of your issues. maybe eastwood messed up a ground somewhere. i would start by doing a visual inspection.
96XL_Nubian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
did you check fuses under the dash or the fuses under the hood?

I bet one of the main fused under the hood in the power distribution box is blown

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
BRONCONUT
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: being raped by my wrenches and welder
I think the obvious has been stated but look for some wires that might be cut into and shorting out. Hopefully it didn't fry your PSOM.

My Stupidmotors
BRONCONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
evomind

Thanks guys.....
Can you guys tell me where to start looking specifically?
I don't know much about these sensors or what the PSOM is.

I will check fuses under the hood and like I said fuse 8 under the dash is blown.
I will throw another fuse in but itll probably just burn out at which point im lost.

Ill perform a visual tomorrow, but give me a few clues at what to look at where, etc....

Thanks again
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

using my owners manual for my 96 which is gonna be almost identical to your 94 (other than a few extra things mine might have), fuse 8 under the dash is suppose to be a 15 amp fuse. it controls the courtesy lights, electric mirrors, the underhood light, keyless entry, speedometer, door chime, and sun visor mirror light. basically everything you described wrong is all in that fuse. the PSOM is in the dash with the speedo and it controls the tranny. without the speedo, yout PSOM wont work and without the PSOM the tranny goes into limp mode. I actually remember that I did blow that fuse one time and caused all those problems but it was from the wires to my rearview mirror that shorted out (the mirror fell and cut the wires)

get a few 15 amp fuses and try replacing it making sure none of the above is on. if it blows you might have to start disconnecting all of them till you find out whats causing it. if it doesn't, try and use each thing one at a time till it does blow so you can try and pinpoint the problem

you can view the 96 broncos owners manual on at this site. click Owners Guide 1st Printing and go to page 323 to 330 has fuse info
https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...eVehicleLookup

Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
fol4321
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 ranger xlt,1995 eddie bauer/1978 custom/1996 xlt
also could be the trans filter fell out.same just happened to my friends 94. he got the cluster swapped out and same problem and it ended up being the trans filter fell out and
Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

how would the trans filter falling out blow a fuse?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
fol4321
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 ranger xlt,1995 eddie bauer/1978 custom/1996 xlt
im talking about the odo cluster not working
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
SteelHorse

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8
Try changing the rear ABS/speed sensor in the rear diff.
SteelHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
Americandan

Bronco Info: 95 5.0 XLT
Is your ABS light on? Seriously just jump it. I had the same problem and it's the ABS computer just committed suicide. Best and cheapest fix is to look up the jumper fix and call it a day. Been like this for the last 2 years and it's worked like a charm.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,

See my Reply # 8 @ for Hot Links to pics/diagrams cited below: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201477

Before buying any parts;
This problem could be caused by a # of thangs;

bad vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (also called ABS,, DSS sensor) on da 8.8 (rear differential)/ or Connector/corroded wires inside connector;
or cruddy/damaged tone ring in the 8.8.
bad wiring/shorts /connectors from VSS at firewall, at 4WABS Module and /or at PSOM and then onto the PCMthe locations of the connectors along the path from VSS to 4WABS and up to Instr Cluster & PSOM are;

C404 VSS On rear axle sensor (A7) Terminals: 02

C205 LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (Fire Wall) Terminals: 24 In-Line

C202F & M LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A8) Terminal: 7 In-Line

C119 LH front corner of engine compartment on 4WABS control module (E10),Terminals: 40

O/LB to:
C202F & M LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A8) Terminal: 7 In-Line

C252 Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Behind top LH side of I/P, on PSOM (A7) Terminal: 12 Color: B at Pins 4

LG/Y to Splice S107 Engine control sensor harness, from C119 near T/O to G101 (G101 RH side of Radiator support); to PSOM Pin 5
C202 F and M
and spliced to Ground G100 (BK)
G100 & G104 (tied together in diagram) G100 @ LH front of engine compartment, on upper radiator support

G100 Serves Component:
Fuel Pump Module
Inertia Fuel Shutoff
Misfire Sensor
Misfire Sensor Shield
Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor
Powertrain Control Module (PCM), 5.0L

From PSOM Pin 7 (GY/BK) to Splice S246 Main harness, near T/O to speed control amplifier to
C185 PK/O @ PCM 5.0L Powertrain Control Module (PCM) LH side of safety wall, on powertrain control module (PCM) (C10) Terminal: 104 Color: GY
C185, 5.8L Powertrain Control Module (PCM) LH side of safety wall, on powertrain control module (PCM) (C10) Terminal: 104 Color: GY

C185 @PCM to C202 F and M
Splice 216 to Ground G200, Instrument Cluster ground is inside passenger side kick panel

and on to C185 @ PCM PIN 58 (GY/BK) and from Pin 46 to MLPS (TR) Pin 2
Verify PCM & MLPS wiring & Pin numbers using following WIRING DIAGRAMs by Ford via Steve83
(my eyesight is fuzzy again)
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/95931_1

bad 4WABS Module - It is located below ws wiper fluid/coolant recovery tank. So, the connector can be corroded by leaking fluid
[url="http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/951411.pdf"]Odometer & Keyless Entry

Inoperative; Fuse 8 Overload, Possible Short In Circuit 54 TSB 95-14-11 for 94-95 Bronco & F Series; All courtesy lamps
* Map lamps
* Engine compartment lamp
* Glove compartment lamp
* Odometer in the instrument cluster
* Dome lamp
* Power mirrors
* Lighted vanity
* Cargo lamp
* Remote keyless entry

This is due to insufficient clearance between the outer roof panel of the cab and a map/dome lamp mounting screw, causing a short in Circuit 54, which causes Fuse 8 (15 amp) to become inoperative. This fuse protects the wiring for the above vehicle features.

ACTION: Replace existing dome mounting screws with new, shorter screws. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

BACKGROUND
Three (3) screws (52814-S36) are required to mount the map/dome lamp to the inner roof panel of the cab. Two (2) of the three (3) screws are used to complete two (2) electrical circuits, 53 and 54. Circuit 53 is after the lamp switches and is "cold" ("cold" means that 12 volts are not present) and Circuit 54 is before the lamp switches and is "hot" at all times ("hot" means that there are always 12 volts present).

The 52814-S36 screw is approximately 25.4mm (1") long. When there is a sufficient amount of downward force applied to the outer roof panel of the cab, the panel will make contact with the screw that has Circuit 54 (12 volts) on it. For example: When the brushes and dryer pass over the roof of the truck in a car wash or when traveling at highway speeds. As the roof panel contacts the screw, it causes a direct short-to-ground. When this occurs, Fuse 8 will be overloaded (15 amp), open and disable the listed features.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Carefully pry pillar/dome lamp lens from interior lamp body.
2. Remove screws retaining interior lamp (map/dome) to roof trim panel.
3. Install new screws (52802-S36, 19mm).
NOTE: ANOTHER OPTION WOULD BE TO REMOVE OLD SCREWS AND CUT/GRIND APPROXIMATELY 6.35mm (1/4") OFF THE END AND REINSTALL.
4. Reinstall pillar/dome lamp lens.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
52802-S36B Screw (19mm)
URL])
--
bad PSOM
----

tsb951411inoplamps.jpg | Hits: 3706 | Posted on: 8/6/09 | View original size (43.94 KB)

TSB 94-09-12 Visor Screws
TSB 95-14-11 Dome Lamp Screws

Publication Date: JULY 17, 1995

LIGHT TRUCK: 1994-95 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE: Some customers may have concerns that the following features are inoperative:
* All courtesy lamps
* Map lamps
* Glove compartment lamp
* Odometer in the instrument cluster
* Dome lamp
* Power mirrors
* Lighted vanity
* Cargo lamp
* Remote keyless entry

This is due to insufficient clearance between the outer roof panel of the cab and a map/dome lamp mounting screw, causing a short in Circuit 54, which causes Fuse 8 (15 amp) to become inoperative. This fuse protects the wiring for the above vehicle features.

ACTION: Replace existing dome mounting screws with new, shorter screws. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

BACKGROUND
Three (3) screws (52814-S36) are required to mount the map/dome lamp to the inner roof panel of the cab. Two (2) of the three (3) screws are used to complete two (2) electrical circuits, 53 and 54. Circuit 53 is after the lamp switches and is "cold" ("cold" means that 12 volts are not present) and Circuit 54 is before the lamp switches and is "hot" at all times ("hot" means that there are always 12 volts present).

The 52814-S36 screw is approximately 25.4mm (1") long. When there is a sufficient amount of downward force applied to the outer roof panel of the cab, the panel will make contact with the screw that has Circuit 54 (12 volts) on it. For example: When the brushes and dryer pass over the roof of the truck in a car wash or when traveling at highway speeds. As the roof panel contacts the screw, it causes a direct short-to-ground. When this occurs, Fuse 8 will be overloaded (15 amp), open and disable the listed features.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Carefully pry pillar/dome lamp lens from interior lamp body.
2. Remove screws retaining interior lamp (map/dome) to roof trim panel.
3. Install new screws (52802-S36, 19mm).
NOTE: ANOTHER OPTION WOULD BE TO REMOVE OLD SCREWS AND CUT/GRIND APPROXIMATELY 6.35mm (1/4") OFF THE END AND REINSTALL.
4. Reinstall pillar/dome lamp lens.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
52802-S36B Screw (19mm)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
95-2-11

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
951411A Replace Dome Lamp Mounting Screws 0.3 Hr.

See also:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TSB 94-09-12 Visor Screws

Publication Date: MAY 4, 1994

LIGHT TRUCK: 1994 BRONCO, F-150, F-250, F-350

ISSUE: The Instrument Panel Electrical PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) may be inoperative or not function properly and the #8 fuse may be blown. In addition, if the vehicle is equipped with an E4OD transmission, it may exhibit a harsh shift. These conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector.

ACTION: Tape the damaged or exposed wire conductor and add scrolling to protect the wiring from trim screw shorts. Refer to the following service procedures for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove the garnish moulding. Refer to the 1994 Econoline, F-150-350, Bronco F-Super Duty Service Manual, Page 01-05A-5, for the removal procedure.
a. Inspect the wiring condition against the trim screws.
b.Check screws for burn marks.
2. If burn mark is found, use electrical tape to protect exposed/damaged wire. Add 1/4" (6.35 mm) scrolling to maximize protection.
3. Replace #8 fuse.
4. Reset the PSOM to see if it is functioning properly. Refer to the 1994 Econoline, F-150-350, Bronco F-Super Duty Service Manual, Page 13-01A-8, for the reset procedure.
5. Reinstall trim. Refer to the 1994 Econoline, F-150-350, Bronco F-Super Duty Service Manual, Page 01-05A-5, for the installation procedure.
6. Recheck fuse #8 and PSOM final verification.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D4FZ-14A099-B 1/4" Scrolling (25 Ft. Roll)
D6AZ-19627-A Electrical Tape
D9ZZ-14526-D Fuse

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19
The engine temperature must be greater than 50 F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180 F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER

Here is ONLY a SHORT EXCERPT of the Pin-Point Testing Process by Ford;

Check Fuses 8 & 18 in Cab fuse block (lower left of dash by driver's left knee)
If no 12 v on Supply Side of each; look in Power Distribution Box (Located under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell, on driver's side of the air cleaner housing)
and check MAXI FUSES J & S

Fuse Block Diagram in a 94 Bronco & F-Series
http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?&p=74587

Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

My 96's same symptoms were erratic until the 4WABS Module's microprocessors finally burnt-out. I had one go bad and 2 yard Modules were also bad; so I jumpered the Module out as Steve & Turbo Ghost describes below.

To bypass the 4WABS module @ it's harness's connector & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM,
Disconnect module (under coolant recovery /ws washer tank) & in connector, jumper LG/Bk to LG/Y, and R/Pk to O/LB..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at
Report this image

Pin numbers are shown in the wiring diagram

or with a pic of the connector and jumpers; Continuity Test Through 4WABS Module Connector in 93-96; "...jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y) to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB) to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)...";
Report this image

Source: by Turbo Ghost at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141328

Speed Input Signal Test @ PSOM in 93-96 Bronco; "...NOTE: Only wiring harness end of connector is to be probed. * Connect Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter 014-00407 or equivalent to Pin 4 (speed in ) and Pin 5 (speed in -). * Does the voltage increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 3.5 volts as vehicle speed increases from 0 to 48 km/h (0 to 30 mph)? OR: If available, a frequency counter may be connected to Pin 4 (Speed in ) and Pin 5 (Speed in -). Does the displayed frequency of the signal increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 667 Hz at approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)? OR: * If neither a voltmeter nor frequency counter is available, vehicle speed control may be used as a good indicator. If it works normally, then the speedometer module is at least receiving a speed input signal and the wiring and sensor & tone ring can be assumed to be good.
This is tuff to do; suggest using str8 pins to back probe the connector
================
For reference purposes:
PSOM Pointer PSOM Pointer Waiver TSB 96-21-11 for 92-96; "..The speedometer needle may waver and or a light surge may occur on some vehicles..." read more
Source: by Ford
This also addresses the tone ring & PSOM unit
EXCERPT; ISSUE: The speedometer needle may waver and/or a light surge may occur on some vehicles when speed control is used at highway speeds between 80-113 km/h (50-70 mph). This may be due to slight dents/chips in either the exciter ring or the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and air gaps between the VSS and the exciter ring.

ACTION: Replace the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM) if required. New PSOM's come with increased immunity to system variability. Refer to the following Diagnostic Procedure for details.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE
BRONCO/F-SERIES - Perform normal PSOM diagnostics per Pinpoint Tests "H" and "J" of the 1996 F-Series/Bronco Body/Chassis Service Manual, Pages 13-01-30 through 13-01-32 and Pinpoint "B" of the 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Page 10-03-11.

Any slight dents, chips, etc., in either the exciter ring or VSS will create needle waver. Measure air gap between the VSS and exciter ring. It should be 0.38-0.51mm (0.015-0.020"). Check exciter ring runout per the same ring gear backface runout procedure of the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-00. Make sure the exciter ring is mounted correctly to the ring gear. If runout is more than 0.1mm (0.004"), perform the differential runout check per the procedure in the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02A or 05-02D, to find cause and repair as needed

============

Tone Ring Inspection; "Take off the rear diff cover. Check the Ring Tone gear. It is located on the left hand side of the ring gear. Look to see if any of the teeth have been notched (from debris floating around in the diff.) Usually a spider gear. If the ring tone gear has been notched, it will need to be replaced to fix your speedo reading. Jack it up and rotate the tires to look for the teeth to be notched/broken/bent..."
Source: by Bighibbi at FSB

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page

Last edited by miesk5; 07-27-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added Connector Path colors 27 JUL 2014
miesk5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Americandan

Bronco Info: 95 5.0 XLT
^^^^ that.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
evomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americandan View Post
^^^^ that.
Anything else?
Sorry I couldn't resist.
:)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
evomind

Ok,
Tried replacing the fuse and it burns out again in about 1 second or 2.
Tried replacing it with the door open and the door shut thinking maybe if the dome light didn't go on and it didn't burn out that might be my cause.

Oh, the odometer did try to come back on but the fuse burned out too fast, but the odometer DID flicker and flash numbers.

I did get under the vehicle and couldn't find any burned out wires.

Reading through the post above (thanks, lotsa info) is there anything that can be ruled out and is there anything thing that gives a clue to my next step?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo E,
Check Visor Screws as cited in TSB 94-09-12

LIGHT TRUCK: 1994 BRONCO, F-150, F-250, F-350

ISSUE: The Instrument Panel Electrical PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) may be inoperative or not function properly and the #8 fuse may be blown. In addition, if the vehicle is equipped with an E4OD transmission, it may exhibit a harsh shift. These conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector.

Next would be to isolate all other compnents on Fuse 8
All courtesy lamps
* Dome lamp (I'd pull those long screws & re-try w/new fuse)

* Map lamps
* Glove compartment lamp
* Odometer in the instrument cluster (do this last to avoid disconnecting connectors behind instr panel.
* Power mirrors
* Lighted vanity
* Cargo lamp
* Remote keyless entry

Also, am having vision issues, so if you can edit my reply out of your post #15, I'd 'preciate it.

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
evomind

Ok.....
Well of course it turned out to be the LAST thing on the list.
The remote keyless entry module was dirty and killing the fuse. Cleaned and its fixed.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Unfortunately Im selling my truck. Not that theres anything wrong with it, but Finances are tight and I have only put less than a thousand miles on it since last March.
That's what happens when you have 4-5 vehicles. You cant drive them all.
I had it on ebay for a few weeks last month but nothing serious.
Ill probably put it up again next week and see what happens.
Here is a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjD_x8kOnIY

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!