Solid front axle guide - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
Blaze
hates EVERYTHING!

Bronco Info: Jesus loves you!!! I think you're a cocksucker!
Solid front axle guide

There are tons of questions asked each month about solid front axles, and while alot of folks are very knowledgeable on the subject, alot also answer questions by refering to the following guide.

Click me!!

So to cut out the middle man, please check here first!
It's a very thourogh guide that alot of us have bookmarked...I'd suggest the same for you as well...

** This sticky has been made from a suggestion by Rockfrog **

Old 01-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Andy351
negative creep

Bronco Info: bronco with seats and a steering wheel
front dana 60 bible

thats a great one too.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Mr.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambiec1
On that site you posted, Shane, what does "reverse spiral" mean?
Reverse Spiral is the technical term Spicer uses, think of it as how the gear is cut.
High Pinion is the slang

Also, I've a new site and am working on update the articles and posting real size pictures
Mr.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N
Reverse Spiral is the technical term Spicer uses, think of it as how the gear is cut.
High Pinion is the slang

Also, I've a new site and am working on update the articles and posting real size pictures
Mr.N, on your site, http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm
Pic 12 States:

is a Dana 44 Reverse Spiral solid front axle from a 1978 Ford F150 4x4. It has open ball joint knuckles and note the Panhard bar is attached to the cast coil mount. It's rumored there is a 3" tuber version out there, I can't find any info on this.

Maybe others will speak up here as well, but in most instances you say the axle tubes are 2.75". The 1978.5 I just picked up, now that I have had time to focus on it, measures 2.95" by caliper OD (stripped to bare metal). Not 3", but certainly not 2.75". I think the D44HD with leaf spring were 2 15/16" but this is just a Bronco/F150 (radius arm) axle with the cast in track bar mount. Looks to be a typical 78-79 Bronco axle, just doesn't have 2.75" tubes. It's difficult for me to tell the thickness of the wall. Maybe someone has a way to get 8" into the tube past the cast portion to see what the ID is?

Just thought you'd like to know, and I can provide a pic if you need it.

Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
yep, I also discovered yesterday, since you are reviving this from the dead, if anyone cares....

a heavy duty D44 8 lug outer for Ford
and a heavy duty 8 lug chevy outer.....

use the same part number for the inner bigger bearing. That Timken part number for the race is JLM 104910. The hubs are almost identical (bigger/thicker than a normal 44 hub), though I suspect the chevy hub is a tiny bit wider, like maybe 1/8th, seeing as the outer shaft is about that much longer. likely same thing when comparing the ford HD spindle to the chevy big bearing spindle. They are extremely similar, until you get to the brakes.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
BambiBasher

Bronco Info: 89 Ford Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351
front dana 60 bible

thats a great one too.

When searching through this again, as i was trying to get a question about fitting 15in rims on D60 front I noticed in the the page about using chevy parts, they stated in one sentence that said that ford calipers were interchangeable. Can anyone confirm this? it appears it would only apply to 78-79 stuff though.

Can someone tell me if D44 8lug rotors would fit D44 calipers of the same era on a D60? would 80-96 calipers work?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
Aaron Sandberg

Bronco Info: 82, 302, stock
On Chevys, 10 bolt and and dana 44 outers are interchangeable. Eight lug spindles, hubs and brakes would bolt to a ford dana 44. Eight lug ten bolt outers and brakes would also bolt onto a five lug TTB. You would have to steal the caliper brakets off the ten bolt axle. the outer knuckles are also interchangeable, but the tierod is fliiped the other way from a 44, I dont remember wich is wich though. If you find a eightlug 10 bolt remember that it is good for parts.

Im gonna pu eight lug parts on my TTB (stubs, spindles, brakes, hubs, and hardware), and a locked 14 bolt. switch to solid 44 later and swap the eight lug ont it.
Aaron Sandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Emilio

Bronco Info: 1987 FSB EB red and tan
front axle parts

I have a 44 housing from a 78 bronco. It has nothing in it. Would my ring and pinion and the cairrer from the 44ttb fit this straight axle housing. Would my knuckles from the ttb fit the same housing.
Emilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
Ogeechee 4x4
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95 Bronco, 351W, NP435/205, Solid D44 front, 35" MTR's, 3.55 gears
ring/pinion/carrier--yes
knuckles--no
Old 05-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #10
DMGunn

Bronco Info: '82 FSB under construction
You can get on eBay and pick up some GM Dana 44 flat top knuckles and gain more clearance at the tie rods STOCK (most GM Dana 44s mount the tie rod above the mount on the knuckle) then have the potential to go to high steer in the future if necessary.
DMGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGunn
You can get on eBay and pick up some GM Dana 44 flat top knuckles and gain more clearance at the tie rods STOCK (most GM Dana 44s mount the tie rod above the mount on the knuckle) then have the potential to go to high steer in the future if necessary.
Yea, but I would be careful getting them from fleabay. folks in the past have put up sets of drum brake chevy flat tops.

I run the chevy flat tops and yes, they are nice since they are a decently strong knuckle, allow me to run 8 lug outers and calipers from a K20, which with minor grinding allow fitment of standard 15" wheels. That was the big plus for me.

I did go the high steer route which didn't work out due to clearance issues with the fords (would need lots of lift, my SAS is about 6") as well as needing a fairly sizable riser at axle and drop at frame for trackbar, so I decided the stock position on top of the knuckle would work perfectly fine. Just sold my high steer arms actually.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Mr.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGunn
The Click me site up top has an atricle on Flat top knuckles, and info on what to aviod.

Hint, careful with the track bar hitting the tierod.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
ducttapeandbondo

Bronco Info: 85 xlt
im planning to do a full 1ton conversion on my bronco , im even going to put in a strait 6 Cummings diesel with dual turbos. i dont know whether to go with a ford, Chevy or dodge 1 ton parts truck, i can get any one of them
for under $900, im thinking the dodge though because it has a fresh Cummings in it so i dont have to look for one.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Billingslee
Billdo

Bronco Info: 93 xlt, D60 sas, 10.25 rear, 5.13s, ARBs, 39.5 Iroks, custom stains in the back
first off search, second you should have posted this in the noob question thread, third go with the ford, depending on the year the dodge pumkin will be on the wrong side and 67 somn wms instead of 69 on the ford and the later modles are low pinion. and the chev has the passenger side pumkin too.
Billingslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
Mr.N

Better pic.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #16
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
Just a few part numbers i finally tracked down that eluded me:

Kingpin rebuild kit: DAN 706395-X
Includes EVERYTHING to rebuild one side, except the lower kingpin, which is generally reused from what i understand

Spindle bearing and seal kit: DAN700014
includes spindle bearing, seal and "slinger" that goes on stub shaft

Those are dana spicer part numbers. I wanted to pick them up locally since i've waited a little long and didn't want to risk not getting them in time. From what i've heard advance auto or napa can get this stuff...i'll find out tomorrow

edit: i just ran across another part number for the kingpin kit: 706395x ill find out tomorra which is correct.
2nd edit....the first part # DAN 706395-x is apparently the correct one for the kingpin rebuild kit. I Scored 2 king pin kits and 2 spindle bearingand seal kits thru a friend for Less than $70
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
ok....disregard the stuff about the kingpin kit. That part number is just the lower kingpin rebuild kit. The complete kit is apparently a yukon-only thing. all the other kits ive found are missing pieces or only have the upper or lower parts.

spindle part # is correct thoug
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #18
bigred92

Bronco Info: 92 f150 sas three link in rear 5.13s lockright front and spool in rear 36"s
I have a 92 f150 and I started a sas with a 76 dana 44.The 76 axle is not a reverse rotation. Will it still work? Will it be turning one way and my rear axle the other way.
bigred92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
reptillikus
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88ish bronco(?)/96 F250; both with D60s
Thats not what it means

Im guesing you didnt read the link posted in Blaze's original post, or you wouldve read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N's Dana Page
Dana designed the first reverse spiral axle in the early sixties for Ford. Dana released the 44RS for production in January 1965. Early enough to possibly be under a few rare 1965 F100's, however no written confirmation on this has been found. The 44RS was a complete new design in axle, with special design to lube the pinion that was above the fluid level. This axle has also been called the Dana 44 High Pinion, Dana 44 Reverse Rotation, Dana 44 Reverse Cut, Dana 44 High clearance and many more names. A reverse spiral axle has the center line of the pinion contacting the ring gear above the center line of the axle, and thus has different lubrication passages. This axle offers a strength increase over a standard rotation axle while in forward movement. It allows the drive shaft to contact the pinion yoke at a much higher level of connection, thus keeping the drive shaft several inches higher. The gears are not interchangeable with gear sets that are designed with the pinion below the centerline of the ring gear, however the carrier is. Reverse Cut refers to the direction the ring gear is cut for reverse spiral housing. The axiom of the reverse cut is to strengthen the gear while in the front drive axle of operation. Standard cut gears can not be swapped with reverse cut gears, however in the Dana 44 the ring gear carrier can be swapped. High pinion, Hy-Pinion or Hi-Pinion are all slang used in and out of the industry for a reverse spiral axle. High Clearance is a Ford marketing term used for the reverse spiral axle. Reverse rotation: is the single most misused axle term. Reverse Rotation is a slang term used to describe a reverse spiral cut housing. Neither the axle nor the axle shafts travel in a reverse motion, or travel 'backwards' compared to a regular housing. This term only shows the ignorance of the person or company using it.
reptillikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #20
phi331

Bronco Info: 93/351W/C6/NP205
i have a 78 dana 60 with a detroit and 5.13 gears. i entend on putting 44 boggers on it. What will the ratio be compared to stock?
phi331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps