Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Project: Emerald Phoenix

6K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  Ewgoetz 
#1 ·
So earlier this week I decided I'm going to revive my old totaled out bko and turn it into a mud truck/toy to use on my property.
Right now I'm trying to replace the parts that I snagged from it to fix up my daily driver bko.

Popped in a new 130 amp alt.
Installed new idler & belt tensioner pulleys.
Made new battery cables and a new cable to the alt, stil waiting on a fuse breaker to put into the alt batt wire.
Made a new battery tray to hold 2 batteries.
Picked up a new thermostat housing from advanced with provisions for a sensor.
Working on slightly relocating the vacuum box.
Need to replace a few vacuum lines
Ordered a new rad with a electric fan shroud from eBay.

Before

After

See less See more
#2 ·
Plugged back in the 4x4 switch and the 4x4 module that I had unplugged for testing purposes back in the fall.

Installed the new thermostat neck.

Replaced part of the hose for the emissions charcoal canister.

Got some extended vacuum line for relocating the vacuum reserve.

The oil cooler had been removed a while ago to replace the one on my dd bko. So I put in a new fl1a filter. I'm just going to eliminate fords oil cooler idea on this rig now.

#3 ·
You said it had an oil cooler; Which design was it? I have the 460 HD cooler, which, I think, would've fit my 5.8W, and the donor engine I had was equipped with the oil-to-coolant cooler; I hadn't decided which one to use when I had to sell the engine.

#5 ·
eBay aluminum rad/fan combo came in yesterday. 3 of the mount tabs were bent up, had to massage them back into place.

Fixed

Also did a little modifying to the rad it self, so some j nuts would work for mounting the electric fan shroud. I didn't like the ideal of using reg nuts & bolts for mounting it.

Hardware that came with it, not even stainless.

J nut I wanting to use. Nut hole is a bit far from the mounting hole for the fan shroud.

Trimmed away.

Done.

Installed. Still have to hook up the trany lines & lower rad hose.

Tomorrow is finishing up on the derale fan controller

And finishing up on the electrical stuff. Also need to pick up a dist for it, I swaped them out a while back ago cause this ones bearings were starting to make a noise & crud was apearing in the dist cap.
The breaker I got to put inline the alt power wire.

#6 ·
Finished hooking up the tranny lines and remounted the stock tranny cooler
All cooling lines are connected.
Screwed in the temp sensor for the electric fan controller. Added some connector terminals so the wires won't get twisted up while screwing in to out the sensor......kinda odd they didn't have a connector already on it.....

Was tempted to fill it up with coolant and start her up.... But I wana finish up the alt power wiring and the fan wiring before I start her.

#7 ·
Finished making the cables for the alt to breaker & breaker to solenoid switch. Battery is ready to go in after the cooling fan controller is connected up.

Cooling fan controller is mounted up. Drilled and taped 2 holes into the rad fan shroud, and mounted the controller with 2 1/4-20 Allen screws.

#8 ·
Completed all the ground circuits and the power supply for the controller.

Circuit breaker mounted next to the starter solenoid.

Grounds all hooked up and power wire to controller hooked up.

Still need to hook up the power wires for the fans, figure out which wire is the pos on the AC compressor clutch plug, and figure out where to tap in the controller wire for the key on power.

#9 ·
Finished up on the fan controller wiring.
Filler her up with coolant and started her up.
Let her run for a little bit, fan can on a little on the early side. Gonna have to mess with the fan controller to come on a little hotter.
Started modifying the ds tail light hole to fit in 2014 f150 tail lights.
Gotta order a new distributor, current one is working, but I see it failing soon cause of the bearings on the shaft.

#12 ·
So yesterday I was looking at the new axle tag..... Realizing it said 3L73.... When the add from the place said it was a open diff.... And they charged me open diff price. So today I poped the cover off and was happy as shit that it was a LS diff!

Axle is bolted under her!

Next is to relocate the shock absorber brackets and reconnect the brake lines and speed sensor.

#19 · (Edited)
got some diy bead locks from eBay yesterday. Had to do some extra fabrication to make them work on my super duty 17 inch rims. I had to space the bead lock plate from The rim about 3/8 of a inch so the bolts & nuts of the beadlock would work.

I'll be doing 3 more rims like that the next few days.
I also ordered supplies to make a radius arm suspension for my sas today from ruffstuff specialties.

#22 ·
Picked up a new frame Tuesday.

Spent yesterday & today cleaning and pulling the rest of the bolt on junk.

Also sat there thinking about how I want to cut & modify that front crossmember for my sas, along what I want to do boxing the rails and changing/modifying/strengthening the crossmembers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.