Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Saltlife's Elvira Build ! (91)

81K views 515 replies 68 participants last post by  Saltlife 
#1 ·
Well here goes Bronco #2

Was a Fire Department Fleet Vehicle

351W, E4OD, manual everything else, 98k miles, all stock sitting on 31s.

See less See more
#2 ·
So onto the bad.

- Going to need a new Radiator support and bushing from some rot.
- Needs complete exhaust system. Still has original everything and rusting out a few places also hanging on by one hanger.
-windshield has a 4" crack at the top
-mainly surface rust underneath
- tailgate rot at the bottom but everything works.
-The biggest thing is the CEL that comes on once it gets to normal operating temps.

I tried to pull codes today but only received a solid light no flashes.

I disconnected the battery for 5 mins, got it back up to normal temp, and tried again but just got a solid CEL. I might have to see if I can get a OBD1 that fits.

I really haven't had the time to check filters, plugs, etc but she runs great and I have been driving her all weekend.

#3 ·
[/URL]

I disconnected the battery for 5 mins, got it back up to normal temp, and tried again but just got a solid CEL. I might have to see if I can get a OBD1 that fits.

I really haven't had the time to check filters, plugs, etc but she runs great and I have been driving her all weekend.
Why are you grounding that terminal? I've never grounded it, I just jumper the two on the harness.

I did some reading. You've hooked the self test ouput wire to ground, that's going to keep the CEL on. Only use that pin if you don't have a funtional CEL light. Just jumper the self test input to the signal return.

#7 ·
Is it better off than your old one? Lets hope it is! Are you going to try to match the back seat to the fronts or the fronts to the back seat or just leave it?

#11 ·
I was tackeling a frying MAP sensor problem for too long and traded it for a 87 f150 which got sold shortly after.

I'm not as familiar with '87-91s as other years, but that truck seems odd... :rolleyes: It has Custom badges, clear camper glass, no rear defrost, no t/g trim panel, manual windows & locks, & the correct bedwalls; but it's a V8 2-tone with chrome grill, CRUISE, A/C, a floor console, nice mirrors, nice wheels, double tailpipe (is that factory?), lower bodyside mouldings, wheel arch mouldings, and a LOT of pinstriping (some of which I know isn't original). Is the trailer wiring factory?

..and yeah - you've got some tailgate on that rust! :thumbup

I see the A/C is converted - does it work?
It was a Bronco Basic customized to the City Fleet specs? :shrug

Came from Blacksburg City Fire Department. It has some upgrades: Radiator, alternator, lighting, trans and PS cooler, E4OD which I did not know they match with a 351W in 91.

A/C is converted and will freeze a Polar Bear out of the truck. :thumbup

#10 ·
I'm not as familiar with '87-91s as other years, but that truck seems odd... :rolleyes: It has Custom badges, clear camper glass, no rear defrost, no t/g trim panel, manual windows & locks, & the correct bedwalls; but it's a V8 2-tone with chrome grill, CRUISE, A/C, a floor console, nice mirrors, nice wheels, double tailpipe (is that factory?), lower bodyside mouldings, wheel arch mouldings, and a LOT of pinstriping (some of which I know isn't original). Is the trailer wiring factory?

..and yeah - you've got some tailgate on that rust! :thumbup

I see the A/C is converted - does it work?

#30 ·
my 88 custom was same way except the wheels and paint/moldings and no headliner. Someone probably swapped the seats since they came with the break your neck off low back buckets.

Exhaust is an easy fix, new muffler and tailpipe. As you know on here tailpipes under $40, then just a muffler of choice. Look through six's threads on tailpipes. factory y pipe is almost impossible to rust out.

#12 ·
The only city/fire residue I see on it is the gold stripe on the red. The red hand-painted pinstripes on the white are just out-of-place. But the tape stripe between the red & white, the mouldings, the mirrors, & the wheels are factory, and NOT things I'd expect a FD to special-order. It probably would have been cheaper to get those on an XLT than on a Custom. That's why it seems so odd to me. :scratchhe

BTW
Time to update your profile & signature.

...and how long are you guys gonna keep posting in that locked thread???

#14 ·
IDK what they wanted or thought 24 years ago but has the interior lighting, you can see the faint Blacksburg Fire on the pass door, I called the county they confirmed they had it till 2011 when it was retired.

I do need to come up with a new sig. I will get on that soon. :thumbup

Nice truck. If you have any issues with the front seats happy for you to just email me those that would be great (given NZ is a long way away). Hold the tailgate though as already have one just like it :thumbup. Look forward to seeing your work on this one mate.
Those seats are COMFY! I don't think they will ever leave this truck :thumbup

Thanks man!

#13 ·
Nice truck. If you have any issues with the front seats happy for you to just email me those that would be great (given NZ is a long way away). Hold the tailgate though as already have one just like it :thumbup. Look forward to seeing your work on this one mate.

#22 ·
Thanks man :beer

well YOU'RE the one who started this in the BUILD forum. :goodfinge
Just like my last one this is a way to document everything I do with dates for tracking purposes and show work done. My memory gets more and more foggy as time goes. :thumbup

I did price a 6" lift kit for it yesterday :toothless

Good to see you back at it Saltlife :thumbup
Thanks man good to be back! :beer

#21 ·
Good to see you back at it Saltlife :thumbup

#26 ·
Got out today and washed the bronco and did a good check through.

I did have a question. This tag was on my transfer case. Anyone recognize it? This just a service tag?

Body mounts look good Just one I will need to replace.

Nothing but surface rust on the frame none on the floorboards

It will need a complete exhaust system on it. It's all original and hanging on by threads.

The tow hitch and package look pretty new.

Tires are fairly new but loud as hell

Pulling code 33 and might be because of the orginial EGR in it. replace vacuum lines and still a CEL. I do have a little whine coming from the fuel pump so I might replace that first.

She does clean up well!

Next to the DD

This Cancer on the tailgate is the only thing killing the looks of her.

#27 ·
I kinda like the gold FD pinstripe on it. I would try to keep it during the tailgate repair.

#28 ·
Egr code could also be the egr sensor or the EVR solenoid. A whine from the fuel pump is nothing to worry about. The original Fuel Pump on mine whined through high school until it died in 2010. The Bosch Replacement has whined since day one. Something about the design of these fuel pumps just makes them whine. Were it a formerly silent GM pump I would worry, but not these noisy old Ford pumps.

#33 ·
Thanks guys! This will work. :beer

my 88 custom was same way except the wheels and paint/moldings and no headliner. Someone probably swapped the seats since they came with the break your neck off low back buckets.

Exhaust is an easy fix, new muffler and tailpipe. As you know on here tailpipes under $40, then just a muffler of choice. Look through six's threads on tailpipes. factory y pipe is almost impossible to rust out.
Yea the exhaust is rusted out hole before the 2nd Cat, split between two cat and muffler all hanging on by one hanger. Tips trashed.

Are you done yet?
Is it lifted yet?
Ha I wish!!

Well shes already gotten me in trouble!!

Got a ticket today.... It's my fault though I haven't gotten her inspected yet.

I need a new windshield and exhaust to get it to pass. Sooo with the thanks of Rockauto and our 5% discount I ordered a Cat system.

Going to get the windshield replaced next week and once the Cat system comes in I'll have my shop put a complete new exhaust on and Inspect it.

#35 ·
One of the few things i love about Kansas... no inspections. :toothless

#37 ·
Other than a few minor problems, that looks like a pretty clean ride. I love getting trucks from municipal services. They are usually very well maintained.

Instead of buying a premade exhaust system, I took mine to a custom exhaust shop. They made a new y-pipe to tip exhaust. I had a high flow cat installed and the quietest muffler I could find (for hunting purposes). They tucked the whole thing up inside the frame rails to minimize anything getting drug off while off-road. All this was under $300 installed.

#39 · (Edited)
Thanks man

Yeah I just bought a cat system from Rockauto nothing special. A Direct fit Eastern Catalytic system for $170. I will have them install that and just run one pipe out the back side where factory exit is. Probably will not run a Muffler since its an extra $120 and I am a cheap bastard :toothless :thumbup

Might later on install a 2nd cat if the fumes are too bad. Thats all i want to tackle with the exhaust.

dig the new sig. :thumbup
Thanks! Yeah I figured I would throw something together yesterday. I will get better pictures once I get Elvira out on the Beach. :beer

Sitting at Safelite right now getting the new windshield installed, Cat system should be in today and over to my guy tomorrow or Saturday for exhaust install and inspection. Should be good to go then. :rockon

I am looking around for a good Tachometer to hook up and thinking of a Trans temp gauge. I don't want anything big and tacky just small and easy to look at. I am thinking a top dash mount style like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-DOU...ssories&fits=Model:Bronco&hash=item19e0b348c1

#41 · (Edited)
This is not my DD nor will my son be riding in it till he is a little older. The good thing about the 351W is it is way quieter than the 302. I should be good no one seemed to complain about my last setup.

If it was going to be my DD or transport for my son I would totally understand! :beer

Got the New Windshield install, it looks good you know like a see through glass should...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.