Relocation of TFI - Page 2 - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #21
4sd4d
Registered User
 
4sd4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Madison, IA
Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: Stole Potamus's old FSB. I own a BKO that was made the same month and year I was born
Do you think this will work for other vehicles other than Broncos (like maybe their smaller, road-only cousin the Mustang)?

And not to hijack this great writeup thread, but what did you use to replace the "thick film". Is it something you "made yourself" or is it just regular dielectric grease. I think my TFI is on its way out (second in six months) and last time I just used regular dielectric grease.
__________________
-1978 Bronco w/mild 351M
-1990 Mustang w/2.3 Turbo and 5 gears
-1991 Thunderbird w/5.0HO

LIFE IS GOOD!
4sd4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-26-2005, 09:21 PM   #22
Clarko
Bronkin' 'Round!
 
Clarko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 2,763
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351 E4OD 4" Superlift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sd4d
Do you think this will work for other vehicles other than Broncos (like maybe their smaller, road-only cousin the Mustang)?

And not to hijack this great writeup thread, but what did you use to replace the "thick film". Is it something you "made yourself" or is it just regular dielectric grease. I think my TFI is on its way out (second in six months) and last time I just used regular dielectric grease.
The relocation will work on anything with dizzy mounted TFI.

What are you talking about? The thick film is inside the module.
__________________
Brian

Click either pic for SuperFord.
Clarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #23
4sd4d
Registered User
 
4sd4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Madison, IA
Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: Stole Potamus's old FSB. I own a BKO that was made the same month and year I was born
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarko
The relocation will work on anything with dizzy mounted TFI.

What are you talking about? The thick film is inside the module.

I will be doing this mod soon then.

I thought the "thick film" was the grease used to keep it grounded to the Dizzy.

And the "did you make the thick film yourself" was a shamelfully tasteless, and poorly constructed "baby batter" joke.

I will be sure to post more of these tasteless and poorly crafted jokes until you get them, as it is the norm here on FSB.
__________________
-1978 Bronco w/mild 351M
-1990 Mustang w/2.3 Turbo and 5 gears
-1991 Thunderbird w/5.0HO

LIFE IS GOOD!
4sd4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
Clarko
Bronkin' 'Round!
 
Clarko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 2,763
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351 E4OD 4" Superlift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sd4d
I will be doing this mod soon then.

I thought the "thick film" was the grease used to keep it grounded to the Dizzy.

And the "did you make the thick film yourself" was a shamelfully tasteless, and poorly constructed "baby batter" joke.

I will be sure to post more of these tasteless and poorly crafted jokes until you get them, as it is the norm here on FSB.
Haha!


BTW: I just figured out it reads Forced Ford as in turbo forced induction.
__________________
Brian

Click either pic for SuperFord.
Clarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:16 AM   #25
4sd4d
Registered User
 
4sd4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Madison, IA
Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: Stole Potamus's old FSB. I own a BKO that was made the same month and year I was born
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarko
Haha!


BTW: I just figured out it reads Forced Ford as in turbo forced induction.

You're right , and it also means I'm missing half my cylinders
__________________
-1978 Bronco w/mild 351M
-1990 Mustang w/2.3 Turbo and 5 gears
-1991 Thunderbird w/5.0HO

LIFE IS GOOD!
4sd4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #26
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!
 
Gacknar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Georgia, Douglasville
Posts: 22,217
iTrader: (4)
Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
Another think you can do to increase the life expectancy of the TFI, wether mounted on the Dizzy or remotly is.

STOP BYING CHEAP CHAN PARTS STORE TFI's

Yes the ones from Ford cost more, they also last longer.

But the relocation will defenantly extend the life of any TFI.

Has any one thout of mounting a CPU fan over the remote mounted one?
Just an idea.
__________________
86 Bronco - 357W/AOD - 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift - 38" TSL Radials - 456:1 Gears
Sequential Multiport Mass-Air Fuel Injection from a 93 Mustang GT

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB

Last edited by Gacknar; 09-27-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Gacknar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
Clarko
Bronkin' 'Round!
 
Clarko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 2,763
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351 E4OD 4" Superlift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sd4d
You're right , and it also means I'm missing half my cylinders
Yeah but that's SVO cool.
__________________
Brian

Click either pic for SuperFord.
Clarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:18 AM   #28
blackhole86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 86 with a 351w, custom bumpers, dual exhaust etc.
No sweat csn, you prolly did fine work. I'll go pick up my 2 cents
blackhole86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:40 AM   #29
csn.rebel
A True Sailor
 
csn.rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 365
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: 88 Bronco, 351 roller .030 over, GT40P heads, AOD, 6" lift, True Dual exhaust, 35" Dualler MT's
No worries mate!
__________________

My 88'
csn.rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS
Registered User
 
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 329
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 89 ford bronco. 357w, C6, 3.08 gears (suck) 33/12.50r15 duratracs 8k winch, some lights and stuff!!!
sorry i know this is an OLD thread but i gotta ask. i am wanting to move my TFI also but my question is do i need the mount off the newer model truck or can i just move the thing some where??
__________________
89 bronco engine rebuild and more to come
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=205108
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #31
Glayd
FSM Lifetime
 
Glayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 351
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1989 XLT, 351W, C6 and 1994 XLT, 351W with E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS View Post
sorry i know this is an OLD thread but i gotta ask. i am wanting to move my TFI also but my question is do i need the mount off the newer model truck or can i just move the thing some where??
This is the thread I followed when I remotely mounted mine. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191936

You can also buy the kit on ebay including the heat sink.

One thing to mention tho if you have an el cheapo Autozone or the like TFI module you should throw it away and get one from Ford or NAPA sells the Motorcraft one.

Glayd
__________________
Poopy Pants: "Kid, we all own Broncos here, every last one of us Bronco owners is poor. Get used to it."
Glayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member
 
Seattle FSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,399
iTrader: (4)
Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
See this link: RJM Injection Technologies Remote TFI Harness




This is for retaining your current PCM using your existing Gray Push Start TFI ICM. Simple, nice, clean and recommended. 1/2 price at $75.00.

You will need to provide your own:

Remote TFI module (Gray "Push Start", Motorcraft - DY1075)
Aluminum TFI heatsink
Distributor for remote TFI

--------------------------

Or, see these links:

The Ranger Station - Remote Mount TFI Installation

McCully Racing Motors - TFI Relocation Kit

Ford TFI module relocation project
__________________
1990 Bronco, MAF, 408 Stroker, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9+, Electric Boost Brakes, lots more...
Seattle FSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS
Registered User
 
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 329
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 89 ford bronco. 357w, C6, 3.08 gears (suck) 33/12.50r15 duratracs 8k winch, some lights and stuff!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glayd View Post
This is the thread I followed when I remotely mounted mine. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191936

You can also buy the kit on ebay including the heat sink.

One thing to mention tho if you have an el cheapo Autozone or the like TFI module you should throw it away and get one from Ford or NAPA sells the Motorcraft one.

Glayd
so i guess i need the heat sink thingy

this is the route i would go. im not spending any money i dont have too. i have seen mustang guys do this this way and i think its the way to go. im not buying a new dizzy just to move the stupid TFI. im just gonna run some wires with male and female fittings. put some thin in the hole to seal it up.
__________________
89 bronco engine rebuild and more to come
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=205108
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #34
Glayd
FSM Lifetime
 
Glayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 351
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1989 XLT, 351W, C6 and 1994 XLT, 351W with E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS View Post
so i guess i need the heat sink thingy

this is the route i would go. im not spending any money i dont have too. i have seen mustang guys do this this way and i think its the way to go. im not buying a new dizzy just to move the stupid TFI. im just gonna run some wires with male and female fittings. put some thin in the hole to seal it up.
I tried to find the heat sink at the junk yard but somebody was snatching them all up (probably the guy who sells them on ebay). You might have better luck tho.
__________________
Poopy Pants: "Kid, we all own Broncos here, every last one of us Bronco owners is poor. Get used to it."
Glayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #35
Glayd
FSM Lifetime
 
Glayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 351
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1989 XLT, 351W, C6 and 1994 XLT, 351W with E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS View Post
so i guess i need the heat sink thingy

this is the route i would go. im not spending any money i dont have too. i have seen mustang guys do this this way and i think its the way to go. im not buying a new dizzy just to move the stupid TFI. im just gonna run some wires with male and female fittings. put some thin in the hole to seal it up.
Here's the kit that I used before I found out that Fireguy has a kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-BRON...d85165&vxp=mtr

This kit has an empty sealed up TFI module that installs to your distributor just like your TFI module. It's used just for the connection to your dizzy so you don't have to "fill in the holes" or risk the wires falling out. The cable they use is Belden shielded cable. Heat Sink is included. I've had mine running for over a year now and its worked out.
__________________
Poopy Pants: "Kid, we all own Broncos here, every last one of us Bronco owners is poor. Get used to it."
Glayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #36
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS
Registered User
 
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 329
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 89 ford bronco. 357w, C6, 3.08 gears (suck) 33/12.50r15 duratracs 8k winch, some lights and stuff!!!
Hey i can make one like that. Dident think of that.
__________________
89 bronco engine rebuild and more to come
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=205108
WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
SLOFordtech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Waretown, NJ
Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco 4.9L 5speed w/ 112k orig miles
anyone ever do it on a 4.9L? is it nessassary? I know the ignition module looks different.
__________________
1989 Ford Bronco Custom.
4.9L 300 straight six
m5r2 trans
1.5" leveling coils
32" BFG all terrians
SLOFordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #38
Glayd
FSM Lifetime
 
Glayd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 351
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1989 XLT, 351W, C6 and 1994 XLT, 351W with E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOFordtech View Post
anyone ever do it on a 4.9L? is it nessassary? I know the ignition module looks different.
See this link: http://www.howardsupply.com/ford-mer...e-problems.htm

Looks like 4.9L is on it

If you're not having any problems with it overheating i wouldn't worry about it.
__________________
Poopy Pants: "Kid, we all own Broncos here, every last one of us Bronco owners is poor. Get used to it."
Glayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #39
SLOFordtech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Waretown, NJ
Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco 4.9L 5speed w/ 112k orig miles
I thought this was for water protection, i have had no problems with overheating. Thanks
__________________
1989 Ford Bronco Custom.
4.9L 300 straight six
m5r2 trans
1.5" leveling coils
32" BFG all terrians
SLOFordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.


2003-2009 FullSizeBronco.com. All rights reserved