sea foam? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
spaustin889
ladies enjoy his

Bronco Info: 96, 6'' lift, rebuilt axles, stereo, lots of other stuff
sea foam?

I have read the numerous threads about the process and just had a couple of ?'s to clear up

1. how much of the bottle do u actually use?
2. do you need to replace oil or anything else like that after you do it?
3. are there any negatives to it (definate or positive)
4. can it really be as simple as it looks (pop it on, put it in, let it sit, start er' up and let it run out) and do as much good as ppl say it does for that little of a price?
5. am i forgetting any stuff?

im about to go buy me some sea foam and i just wanted to make sure that ther werent any side-effects or anything else you had to do besides sea foam....

Supermotors for my Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillamonster View Post
dancing is something i should not compete in
spaustin889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
poopy_pants
You suck

Bronco Info: New Balance shoes, a Specialized Hardrock, and a longboard--yup.
How do you want to do it? Do you want to run it through the oil? Fuel? Through the vacuum hose or whatever on the brake booster?

Off to the U.S.M.C.

-Kyle
poopy_pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
spaustin889
ladies enjoy his

uuhm from what i've heard the vacuum line just sucks it up..and that gets most of your engine clean

Quote:
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Bronco Rob
Zombie Hunter

Bronco Info: 1993 Eddie Bauer, 351, 5.8 liter V8, somebody come help me put all this junk i just bought on!!
1. Take the vaccuum line off the brake booster. (with motor running)

2. Get small funnel, place in vaccum line pour half of bottle slowly into vaccuum line, engine will start to starter. Once it starts to stutter, just outright dump the rest of it in, if it doesn't stall, shut it off for 15 to 20 minutes.

3. Start motor (preferably in well ventilated area).

4. I change the oil within 500 miles of doing this.

I have heard of it fouling plugs before, but i have never personally had it happen and i am very happy with the way the motor runs after i do this. I do it about every 6k miles.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Seabronc

Bronco Info: 1983 FSB, 351W, Holley 4BBL, 31x10.5, Ford 8.8 3.08:1 rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin889
I have read the numerous threads about the process and just had a couple of ?'s to clear up

1. how much of the bottle do u actually use?
2. do you need to replace oil or anything else like that after you do it?
3. are there any negatives to it (definate or positive)
4. can it really be as simple as it looks (pop it on, put it in, let it sit, start er' up and let it run out) and do as much good as ppl say it does for that little of a price?
5. am i forgetting any stuff?

im about to go buy me some sea foam and i just wanted to make sure that ther werent any side-effects or anything else you had to do besides sea foam....
I believe the instructions for each possible usage are on the can.

1983 FSB
351W
Holley 4 BBL 4160
MSD6AL & Blaster 2
Wipers ON / Head Lights ON Control
Head Light wiring upgrade
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 4200 CFM Electric Fan
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 3G 130 Amp Alternator
31x10.5x15
Ford 8.8 3.08:1 rear
Dana 44 3.08:1 front

Supermotors http://www.supermotors.net/212

Communication: I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant.

BRONCO's IS MPVs NOT SUVs
Seabronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
spaustin889
ladies enjoy his

so it sounds to me like this really is a chep, simple project w/o any defects or negatives....am i not right?

Quote:
Old 04-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Bronco4Life

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
I run my engine normally for about 60 miles or so when I put it in the crankcase... each time I've done it for the past three times, my oil hasn't seemed to get as grimey looking as fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
Bronco4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
WheelinElvis
Call Me Ace

Bronco Info: 1989 Full Size 302- sponsered
i ran it through the brake booster. then i let it sit over night...12 hours probably...
then i started her up...let it smoke out... then it was fine.
i would suggest a tune up AFTER you run the seafoam. just to make sure that youve got fresh clean plugs, filters, oil, etc...
ace
Old 04-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
fartman
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Bronco Info: 88 FSB. 4.9l -T18-BW1356-33" MTs-Warn hubs Daystar leveling kit
Seafoam clogged up my cat. But cleaned out 20 + years of kaka in the motor.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
USMCGunrock0811

Bronco Info: '92 302 XLT. A work in progress. "The Moneypit"
warm up ur truck. take the brake booster vacuum hose and insert it like 1/4 into the can, just start up ur truck for like 3 sec and turn off. the vacuum sucks it up pretty fast. let it sit for like over nite, put the remaining seafoam into ur gas tank. start it up and it will smoke up like a crackhead. try not doing this in like a residential area coz somebody might call 911 on u

that's what i did with mine and i poured some in the carb as well. u will notice a very good difference. quieter running, faster reaction and i actually somewhat improved on gas mileage.
USMCGunrock0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
ScorpionBoy
crank trigger

Bronco Info: 94 XL M5OD, 5.0, Ghetto K&N, 130A G3
i also sucked a whole can through the brake booster. worked nicely. there was a follow up from a seafoam rep claiming there is a possibility of hydrolocking by sucking that much in so quickly. on the can is says to slowly pour in a certain amount. i will do it that way next time.
ScorpionBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
quiefinator

Bronco Info: 91 302 E40D shitty
what i wanna know is if it cleans it out where does it go??? my first thought for the fuel system- plugged fuel filter or injectors, oil system-plugged oil pickup or cat like someone mentioned

are these worthwhile considerations??

cause from the way it seems so far, this stuff is goin through all 3 of my trucks and possibly my bikes
1995 F-450 7.3 PSD, auto
quiefinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
ScorpionBoy
crank trigger

Bronco Info: 94 XL M5OD, 5.0, Ghetto K&N, 130A G3
comes out the tailpipe in lovely smoke form if you suck into intake. otherwise it will drain out with whatever fluid you poured it in.
ScorpionBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
MyFullSize

Bronco Info: Previously: '89 Bko XLT 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiefinator
what i wanna know is if it cleans it out where does it go??? my first thought for the fuel system- plugged fuel filter or injectors, oil system-plugged oil pickup or cat like someone mentioned
these are the best questions Ive heard about Sea Foam yet. Ill watch this post for more info. My XJ could use a little cleaning of the pipes.

1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport
* USAR/ARNG 11B RET *
1/116 INF 29ID(L) - (My unit was 1st wave on D-Day)
Read the book "The Bedford Boys"

^^ My animated .GIF is better than yours! ^^
MyFullSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
I've used it several times on my 86, thru the booster line and in the gas tank. It does a great job of cleaning and the Bronco runs much better. My next oil change will get that treatment. Using Sea Foam is like common sense, a lot depends on what's going on with your motor etc. so use accordingly the instructions are on the can and less is always more. Under cook vs over cook so to speak. In the end this suff is fantastic and it won't hurt anything. Make sure if you use internaly in the motor you find an open space for the smoke but that doesn't last long.
Good Luck ~

Yea Sea Foam!
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #16
quiefinator

Bronco Info: 91 302 E40D shitty
yeahg, this seems to be the consesus amongst users, i guess i find my self very skeptical of things

i live my life according to murphy's law (not by choice) and too good to be true, prolly is, but i would hate for my skeptism to keep me from a good thing, its hard to try new things i'm fragile i have been hurt in the past, hehe, i have no clue where im goin w/ this
1995 F-450 7.3 PSD, auto
quiefinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
imlikeojnow
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob
1. Take the vaccuum line off the brake booster. (with motor running)

2. Get small funnel, place in vaccum line pour half of bottle slowly into vaccuum line, engine will start to starter. Once it starts to stutter, just outright dump the rest of it in, if it doesn't stall, shut it off for 15 to 20 minutes.

3. Start motor (preferably in well ventilated area).

4. I change the oil within 500 miles of doing this.

I have heard of it fouling plugs before, but i have never personally had it happen and i am very happy with the way the motor runs after i do this. I do it about every 6k miles.

why would you need to change the oil after this. if you run through vacuum it is going to clean your intake and burn the carbon off. has nothing to do with plugs. How would the vaccuum foul plugs? The only way it can foul your plugs is if you run it through your crankcase or fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
imlikeojnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
imlikeojnow
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiefinator

are these worthwhile considerations??

cause from the way it seems so far, this stuff is goin through all 3 of my trucks and possibly my bikes

When you run it through a vaccuum it burns off in the exhaust. it is a petrol based product so it will burn off or evaporate. What i do is put it in there and let it sit for about 45 minutes, then drive it like a stole it, and that cleans all the crap out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
imlikeojnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
soup87

Bronco Info: 87 fullsize 302 aod auto. Mostly stock
Seafoam is great stuff. I use it as a gas stabilizer in all my off season motors. One caution though. If you put it in through the brake booster do NOT!!! put it in fast enough to stall the engine. You CAN and MIGHT cause it to hydro lock and you don't want bent rods. I have heard of this happenning.

Good luck
Steve
soup87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #20
Robb

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0
I used this in a crankcase for about 100 miles before an oil change. Here's my results.

Before Seafoam. Start up ticking and it just started knocking 1-2 mins. after start up. All the while I was using additives to try to stop these noises. The more it ticked/knocked, the more I added. I also had smoke out the tail pipe almost 30% of the time. I thought the engine was toast once the knocking started.

After Seafoam. I use no additives now (based on what I read on the oil info links in another thread - it makes the situation worse) and I'm not shitting you here. No smoke. No tick. No knock.

I did get a constant tick and a little smoke right after the oil change when I drove for 1/2 hour. But it has never happened again. It's been a month. I highly recommend this stuff.
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech