Powerstroke Swap - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
Maelthra
BurnedB's competition.

Bronco Info: 84 Dodge PowerWagon
Post Powerstroke Swap

Now, before you flame me for asking a repeat question, ust read it please.

I'm interested in swapping in a 7.3L Powerstoke into my '80 FSB. Now I'm wondering what kind of work I'd have to do to put the entire Drivetrain, wiring, and fuel system into my Bronco. What would fit, what would need to be fabricated, would the frame hold up to it?

Would it be easier to just cut down the F-250 frame and put my bronco's body on it?

I am well aware this is a huge project, but in the meantime I have a 89 F150 with 33"s to keep me happy.

Now I searched this topic already, and it came up with nothing that provided me with any help.

Or, you could all just call me crazy.

EDIT: Pud added alot of info, which I'll try to keep up on when he updates it. Here ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
lets turn this into the OFFICIAL Powerstroke Swap thread, so we can refer people to this, so we dont have little bits and pieces here and there in different threads since this question has been asked alot lately. Chime in any info you have.

My DD is a 1996 F350 PSD (Powestroke Diesel).
You will definately need a donor truck. Powerstroke 7.3s started mid way through the 1994 model year. 1994 also offered the 7.3.L IDI, and 7.3L Turbo IDI. Here is a link to a site, about 3/4 way down the page it starts describing how the PSD injection system works, read this to fully understand what you will need for your fuel system. http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

anytime there was a comparison, it was between my 1990 bronco(m5rod), 1990 f150(m5rod), and 1996 f350 PSD(zf5).

ENGINE BAY:
To do the swap you MAY be able to use your stock engine x-member, with some fabbing. The PSD engine mounts sit flush atop the face of the X-member. The BKO x-member has a large hole on the drivers side for clearance of the 302/351w oil filter. You may or may not be able to get the PSD perch over this hole, to attatch the mount to. If not youll need the PSD engine x-member. The pass sides are exactly the same between all my vehicles.
The PSD rad is huge, the radiator core support is different than a gas rig. If you buy a PSD donor truck it will have the 92-96/7 front end. If you have an older style, upgrade the whole front clip so you can use the proper rad support for the large diesel rad.

TRANNY/T-case:
The automatic version was the E4OD, diesel rated version. The manual is a zf-5 5speed, diesel rated version as well. My PSD is a zf5, the tranny x-member is different, on the drivers side it drops lower down for clearance of the D-shaft, and attatches to the outter face of the frame. The t-case is a BW 1345

SUSPENSION/AXLES:
all the info for suspension fabbing can be found in the SAS forum.
The 7.3L PSD engine weighs in excess of 1000lbs. You need some springs for under a diesel engine plain and simple. You have 2 options, both require an extent of fabrication. Either way, putting a solid axle up front will be the best bet, and since youre going solid axle go right for the D60. Options:
1) Leaf springs, the bronco never came with them, youll need to need to fab up the hanger mounts on the frame for the leaf pack to attatch.
2) Coil sprung, the D60 never came coil sprung, youll need to fab up the bottom coil buckets

the f250 TTB doesnt work in a 1/2 ton chassis truck, therefore would need fabbing to work, and any fabrication should be spent to do the job right, with a dana60 straight axle. Technically speaking, you 'could' use the stock bronco TTB with some 2wd f250/f350 PSD coils, IF you like chewing through tires and breaking axles, and crown/pinions everytime you put it in 4wd. As I said the PSD is not only more power, but twice as heavy.
-For the rear-
an 8.8 or 9" wont cut it, youll need a sterling 10.25/10.5 or Dana 60/70

FUEL SYSTEM:
IDFK! read the link and reasearch anything left unclear via the intraweb! Or try the 94.5-97 Powerstroke section on Ford-trucks.com

I hit writers block, thats all for now.
-Al
Maelthra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
fairlane_68

Actually...it's easier that you think. All you really need is a clean donor truck. 94-97 7.3L DIT 250's and 350's are what you need. You will need custom driveshafts, obviously 3/4 to 1-ton axles, and the springs off the donor may work, depending on the suspension you want. You can get away with a Dana 44. You will have to lift it, though, but I don't remember why.

I have seen professionally built 7.3L Broncos, there's two in Eastern North Carolina that I know of, and they even look factory. The biggest headache you might run into might be withthe fuel tank and fuel pump. I don't think the diesel pump will fit the gas tank.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any good body parts on the donor truck!
fairlane_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Dustin
Diesel Gynachologist

Bronco Info: 2001 F350
your biggest problem will be getitng it to work with your era of body. havine a 92-96 bronco would make life alot easier since thats more than likely the doner and era of engine you will be getting. Im should fit in the engine bay in theory. you might run into problems with turbo to firewall clearance.

your suspension needs careful thought. a 1/2 ton bronco want care for a heavy ass PSD on it.

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...x.php?vID=1309
Quote:
"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
adrianspeeder
USAF C-17 Avionics

Bronco Info: '94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
Search for Agnems 7.3IDI swap.

Adrianspeeder
Old 08-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
96broncoman

Bronco Info: '96 302 39.5" IROKS on H1's
look at the suspension/frame strength type stuff. i would think putting the bronco body on the f 250 frame would be easier. thats just me thinkin.

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...il.php?id=7622
96broncoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
pud

Bronco Info: 87 xlt 5.0L auto beater
lets turn this into the OFFICIAL Powerstroke Swap thread, so we can refer people to this, so we dont have little bits and pieces here and there in different threads since this question has been asked alot lately. Chime in any info you have.

My DD is a 1996 F350 PSD (Powestroke Diesel).
You will definately need a donor truck. Powerstroke 7.3s started mid way through the 1994 model year. 1994 also offered the 7.3.L IDI, and 7.3L Turbo IDI. Here is a link to a site, about 3/4 way down the page it starts describing how the PSD injection system works, read this to fully understand what you will need for your fuel system. http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

anytime there was a comparison, it was between my 1990 bronco(m5rod), 1990 f150(m5rod), and 1996 f350 PSD(zf5).

ENGINE BAY:
To do the swap you MAY be able to use your stock engine x-member, with some fabbing. The PSD engine mounts sit flush atop the face of the X-member. The BKO x-member has a large hole on the drivers side for clearance of the 302/351w oil filter. You may or may not be able to get the PSD perch over this hole, to attatch the mount to. If not youll need the PSD engine x-member. The pass sides are exactly the same between all my vehicles.
The PSD rad is huge, the radiator core support is different than a gas rig. If you buy a PSD donor truck it will have the 92-96/7 front end. If you have an older style, upgrade the whole front clip so you can use the proper rad support for the large diesel rad.

TRANNY/T-case:
The automatic version was the E4OD, diesel rated version. The manual is a zf-5 5speed, diesel rated version as well. My PSD is a zf5, the tranny x-member is different, on the drivers side it drops lower down for clearance of the D-shaft, and attatches to the outter face of the frame. The t-case is a BW 1345

SUSPENSION/AXLES:
all the info for suspension fabbing can be found in the SAS forum.
The 7.3L PSD engine weighs in excess of 1000lbs. You need some springs for under a diesel engine plain and simple. You have 2 options, both require an extent of fabrication. Either way, putting a solid axle up front will be the best bet, and since youre going solid axle go right for the D60. Options:
1) Leaf springs, the bronco never came with them, youll need to need to fab up the hanger mounts on the frame for the leaf pack to attatch.
2) Coil sprung, the D60 never came coil sprung, youll need to fab up the bottom coil buckets

the f250 TTB doesnt work in a 1/2 ton chassis truck, therefore would need fabbing to work, and any fabrication should be spent to do the job right, with a dana60 straight axle. Technically speaking, you 'could' use the stock bronco TTB with some 2wd f250/f350 PSD coils, IF you like chewing through tires and breaking axles, and crown/pinions everytime you put it in 4wd. As I said the PSD is not only more power, but twice as heavy.
-For the rear-
an 8.8 or 9" wont cut it, youll need a sterling 10.25/10.5 or Dana 60/70

FUEL SYSTEM:
IDFK! read the link and reasearch anything left unclear via the intraweb! Or try the 94.5-97 Powerstroke section on Ford-trucks.com

I hit writers block, thats all for now.
-Al
pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
pud

added info in 'Engine bay' re: rad core support
Old 08-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Maelthra
BurnedB's competition.

Thanks alot pud. I've added that into the first post, so just post any updates.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
pud

added the link I forgot to put in
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Maelthra
BurnedB's competition.

Hey Pud, you know if a Heavy Duty 460 Rad or an older-style diesel rad will be sufficient to cool down the PS?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
pud

possibly..I dont know for sure. Im not sure if the older style IDI rad is any different then the PSD rad either. The 460 is bigger than the 7.3L (444), and gasoline engines run hotter than diesels do...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
bronco1

Bronco Info: 90 Bronco
The power stroke used a rad very similar to the IDI diesel(heavy duty cooling) from 1984-1994,so you can use a rad support from a 1984-1986 diesel powered truck with heavy duty cooling(narrower,but taller rad than the standard cooling rad) in your 1980 Bronco and use a rad from a 1992-1995 truck with a powerstoke engine.Must be a copper cored rad-not the aluminum cored rad.To use an aluminum cored rad you will have to use the 1996-1997 rad support with a 1992-1997 front clip.A rad from a 460 will not cool a powerstoke engine.
bronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:11 AM   #13
buckin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
possibly..I dont know for sure. Im not sure if the older style IDI rad is any different then the PSD rad either. The 460 is bigger than the 7.3L (444), and gasoline engines run hotter than diesels do...

I would think A diesel would run hotter with almost 16-1 compresion. and diesel burns at higher temp.
buckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:13 AM   #14
pud

17.5:1 for the PSD, and 21.5:1 for the IDI....Im pretty sure they dont run hotter, Im not positive tho. Its just what Ive always heard, and I have a temp guage that reads degrees.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
buckin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
17.5:1 for the PSD, and 21.5:1 for the IDI....Im pretty sure they dont run hotter, Im not positive tho. Its just what Ive always heard, and I have a temp guage that reads degrees.

So what do you think runs hotter? what is a IDI
Old 09-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #16
pud

IDI-all 6.9L and 7.3L non Powerstroke diesel engines. Stands for InDirect Injection. Powerstrokes are Direct Injection (DI). Im not a diesel engine pro, but I know the IDI's were a mechanical injection, whereas the the DI powerstrokes were electronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
and I DONThave a temp guage that reads degrees.
fixed that.
Im pretty sure diesels run cooler, but I should not be quoted on that matter.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #17
buckin88

I think diesels run hotter, and i dont think any gas engine has a exhaust temp of 600 deg. But i might be wrong sit and think about it diesel does not burn at same temp as gas does. The engine has 16+ to 1 compression, no 460 runs that stock.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
pud

yeah, now that you mention EGT's...diesels start getting into trouble around 1200*...and I have to agree that diesels run hotter.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #19
Seth

Bronco Info: 1995 F150 SAS 35s
i dont think its so much about what temp a gas or diesel runs at - its more about how much heat the rad is having to shed to get to that temp. i think the diesel produces more heat
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #20
MANNY
broncofied

Bronco Info: 1984 bronco xlt 302W c-6, 6 inch 35's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pud
IDI-all 6.9L and 7.3L non Powerstroke diesel engines. Stands for InDirect Injection. Powerstrokes are Direct Injection (DI). Im not a diesel engine pro, but I know the IDI's were a mechanical injection, whereas the the DI powerstrokes were electronic.

fixed that.
Im pretty sure diesels run cooler, but I should not be quoted on that matter.
Let the diesel mechanic back ya. Your right diesels can run cooler unless they get under high loads then they run hot. The fuel on a diesel at idle and low loads the mixture is real lean thus they don't get real hot when you start throwing more fuel at the you have more heat. Idi and psd rads were near alike.

Again right on the injection Idi's used a stanadyne db2 injection pump, and spray nozzles in precup cylinder heads. Whereas powestrokes used a huei injection system with open combustion cylinder heads. Idi's can be somewhat limited but since we are talking a bronco not a class 7 truck here i would choose an IDi engine i've ponedered it before i built me 302.

Specs

Idi no turbo
185 hp
352 ft-lbs
Idi turbo
195 hp
395 ft-lbs
psd
205-230hp
425-500ft-lbs.

I would say run a idi non turbo for better clearance, and simplicicty with suttle mods you could acheve 220 horses, and 380 ft-lbs which would be a true grunter in a bronco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacknar View Post
Your in charge of this boat, and we're following you all the way to the bottom!
MANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech