information on RTV - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
broncoflorida

Bronco Info: 87FSB, 302 020 over ,3g alt, GT40 heads, Exp intake , Bassani Exhaust and 24" Magnaflow muffler
information on RTV

I'm doing some work on a 4.0L ford engine and was looking at RTV and saw alot of colors and more than what I've used to see before. Anybody have a general rule on RTV sealant and their intended areas for usage. ( water/oil/valve cover/etc )?
broncoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
AHorseWithNoName

Bronco Info: 2 wheels baby!
I like Permatex black for waterpumps and differentials. Its a beeotch to get off once it cures but, waterpumps are something I only want to do once and not have to worry about a leak. For anything else, I like Permatex Red Hi Temp. It stays pliable but seals well.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
firelt90bronnco
Resident Wrecker Driver

Bronco Info: Sold-1990 Fullsize, 1995 FSB, 1997 F250 PSD, 1979 Bronco Custom with a big block
RTV cannot be used around if in or exposed to gas, high heat or some oils.
firelt90bronnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Agily00
Harmful if swallowed

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 5.8L tow package, ranchos, stereo
I always use ultra grey
Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
bigblockbuggy

I typically use permatex ultra black, or permatex "the right stuff" which is just ultra black in a aresol can. Both will resist oil much better than most RTV's, and will not harden like a lot of the other colors do when in the presence of oil. It does specify on the tube/package/can what the application of that particular color is though, so read and buy the correct ones

BTW, firelt is right on the gasoline thing, I have never come across an RTV that will stand up to fuel and not degrade/permeate.

2006 Bigblockbuggy: EFI 460/C6/AtlasII 5.0 comp case, D60's locked, full hydro, 42" TSLs on recenterd hummer lock
1988 EB Bronco project starting this winter, EFI 460, NP435/BW1356/205doubler, Hybrid D60 front, Sterling 10.25 rear, 33-35" tire or so.
bigblockbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
MikE2
Fullsize Member

Thats good stuff, and so is the Form-a-Gasket that comes in the white plastic bottle with the brush on the cap. That is the best stuff I have ever used on anything. Its a piece of cake to apply with the brush too
MikE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
badass1tonf100
Hit it n' Git it

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 1tons, 3 sticks, sheet metal & some tubing.
ive used ultra blue and/or ultra black 598b on my diffs, t case, motor, etc...
badass1tonf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
El Bicho

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.8, AO Dominator Trans, BW 1345, 3.55 gears, Lots of miles, 31 x 10.5 tires, Stock Wheels
Permatex® High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket
OEM specified. Formulated for hi-temp applications, or heavy-duty use (such as towing, etc.). Replaces almost any cut gasket by making reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating caused by thermal cycling. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65ºF to 650ºF (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Permatex® Sensor-Safe Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
The original Permatex Blue. Will not foul oxygen sensors. Replaces almost any cut gasket. Makes reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans

Permatex® Sensor-Safe High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket
Formulated for oxygen sensor equipped engines. First generation 1970-1980 gasket maker. Temperature range of -65°F to 650°F (-54°C to 343°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids.

Permatex® the Right Stuff® for Imports Gasket Maker
Specifically designed to perform under higher torque loads caused by engines with closely spaced bolt patterns (typically import vehicles). This product is blowout resistant, allowing leakproof gaskets to be made and put into service in just one minute. Sensor-safe, the Right Stuff® for Imports seals instantly, forming a reliable, long lasting elastomeric rubber gasket that outperforms precut gaskets. OEM specified by Honda, Nissan and Mazda. This product is resistant to powertrain fluids (oil, coolant, and ATF) and operates in environments to 450°F (232°C) continuous; 500°F (260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Automotive gaskets, valve covers, oil pans, transmission pans, thermostat housings, water pumps, etc.

Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker
Return equipment to service immediately when you make leak-proof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent.; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

Suggested Applications: Automotive and marine gaskets, valve covers, gearbox covers, pumps, compressors, oil pans, thermostat housings, water pumps

Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

Permatex® Ultra Blue® Multipurpose RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Permatex® Ultra silicones were developed to meet today’s technology changes. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Outstanding oil resistance and joint movement values. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, transmission pans, differential covers

Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Highest operating temperatures for 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -75°F to 700°F (-59°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/ headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket
A noncorrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone. Temperature range of -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Water pump and thermostat housings
El Bicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
shokwave30

Bronco Info: 89 bronco 5.0efi
i always have the permatex copper in my toolbox.. if it needs extra sealer.. thats the one i always use
shokwave30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
Dustin
Diesel Gynachologist

Bronco Info: 2001 F350
go with grey, it wont break down with oil contact like everything else. You use that and it wont leak EVER! Its the only thing that works with diesels. So well in fact I use it for everything else too

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...x.php?vID=1309
Quote:
"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
SigEpBlue
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
I'm surprised no one mentioned #2 Form-a-gasket. It has the consistency of clay toothpaste. That stuff resists every fluid you'll ever encounter in an automobile. Even gasoline doesn't touch it. The only way to get it off your hands is to use carburetor cleaner immediately after contact. I've used it on threads, gaskets (to hold it in place and help with sealing), and flanges, and have never had a single failure using it. Oh, and in case you want a really-permanent bond, they have #1 Form-a-gasket too.

Ditto for the UltraGray RTV. That stuff doesn't squeeze out like the regular blue crap. Nevertheless, using the correct gasket on clean gasket surfaces with the proper amount of torque is still the best "sealant" you're going to find. RTV's da debbil!!!
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
SigEpBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
fairlane_68

The red goop will **** up your O2 sensors also...didn't see that mentioned.
fairlane_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
Cucamongan

Bronco Info: '89 XLT Bronco 5.8 C6 35"
Does anyone have experience with using the Permatex Moto Seal Ultra Grey used on vehicles?
Its like the make-a-gasket that you brush on.
I use it on my motorcycles and it works great, and it resists gasoline (as its used on 2 smokes)
Other than that, I vote for the Ultra Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech