LOST KEYS TO BRONCO WHAT TO DO!? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
BigLarryT

Bronco Info: '92 351W, E40D ,8.8" and Dana 44 axles,(Only mod is a 2" body lift) 33x12.50"R15
LOST KEYS TO BRONCO WHAT TO DO!?

I have two lil children, and my lil boy loves keys to paly with. He got ahold of my Bronco keys and we cannot find them around the house. Probably tossed them in the garbage, blah blah blah,...

point is, i've called several locksmiths in the Cincinnati area and all of them told me I have to "drill" the ignition out and replace and they would not do that.
So I'm thinking,...is it possible to get into the column, bypass the use of the stock ignition, and put in a on/off switch to start the truck with? Basically hotwiring the truck instead of using a key. OR even better, somehow i can get a ket made without an original. Any ideas will be helpful folks
Thanks in advance.
BigLarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
poopy_pants
You suck

Bronco Info: New Balance shoes, a Specialized Hardrock, and a longboard--yup.
I can stick just about any key in the ignition and it will start. Try a similarly sized key and try it out.

Off to the U.S.M.C.

-Kyle
poopy_pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
waltman
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
No, if you can't get a key, I'm pretty sure drilling it out is the only option, because your steering is locked.

Are you saying the locksmiths you called, can't make you a key? Are they stupid? It will cost you, but it can be done.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
mcaldwell

Bronco Info: 1992 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L w K&N/MSD, 32x11.50x15 BFG M/T's
If by some fluke you know where the truck was originally sold, the dealer's used to carry the spare cut codes for making spares. There is a SLIM chance they still have a record of it.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
mcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
p54519
big, long, hard

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie bauer 351 W/O Massair 2.5" Skyjacker lift 33X12.50 BFG A/Ts Westin nerf bars Ramsey winc
On mine ('96) the door key and ignition are the same. Any locksmith with half a brain can pull the door cylinder and make a new key. I had one made for my rear window that way. He came to my office, took out the cylinder, made a new key, put it all back together in < 30 mins for $70.

PS. after you get it made, splurge for the $1.29 and get some spares!
Originally Posted by ilystbronco View Post
i love my stick its soo much fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GreenMonster View Post
I Wanna Put a 9" In My Rear
p54519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
adrianspeeder
USAF C-17 Avionics

Bronco Info: '94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
Quote:
Originally Posted by p54519 View Post
On mine ('96) the door key and ignition are the same. Any locksmith with half a brain can pull the door cylinder and make a new key.
No go, the pre '92's door keys match the tailgate's round key. Get's confusing switchin' between drivin' the '88 and '92, as I never seem to have the right shaped one in hand.

Anyway, sounds like you need a better locksmith. There is a lot goin' on with the ignition switch to just bypass it with a switch.

Adrianspeeder
Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
massbronco

Bronco Info: 1996 BRONCO XLT 5.8
I bought a steering column at the junkyard without a key and took the column to a locksmith and had him make me a key cost $20. but that was yrs ago
massbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
svt5litre

Bronco Info: 96F150 SaS 39.5 swampers , lincoln locked front& rear and an ever growing pile of broke stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLarryT View Post
I have two lil children, and my lil boy loves keys to paly with. He got ahold of my Bronco keys and we cannot find them around the house. Probably tossed them in the garbage, blah blah blah,...

point is, i've called several locksmiths in the Cincinnati area and all of them told me I have to "drill" the ignition out and replace and they would not do that.
So I'm thinking,...is it possible to get into the column, bypass the use of the stock ignition, and put in a on/off switch to start the truck with? Basically hotwiring the truck instead of using a key. OR even better, somehow i can get a ket made without an original. Any ideas will be helpful folks
Thanks in advance.
I lost my keys for my 91 F150 and this is what i did, I took the steering wheel of and used a flat blade screw driver and vise grips to turn the cylinder in the run position, lock is trashed after that point , but look at a hayes manual section 12-6(in the blue copy) and follow directions to remove cylinder. But the key has to be in the run position to remove it!!!!!!!! The lock cylinder was like 8.99 at Advance auto but that was a couple of years ago
Old 03-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
BigBroncoXLT

Bronco Info: 1985 XLT
I grabbed mine with a pair of chanellocks and broke the lock in it, I drove around with out keys untill a year ago.
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...il.php?id=4849
85 Bronco XLT 2.5" rough country lift 351W/C6/208 9" rear TTB up front.
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...il.php?id=9181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNY
I love when i can play with my stuff.
BigBroncoXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
Lyncher68

Bronco Info: 1996 EB 7+" lift, 36 X 14.5s, soft top, sterling in the rear d60 coming in the front!!
..if I dont turn my ignition back far enough...I dont even need a key to start my truck, I know ford dealerships can replace the keys because I lost mine a while back but they want like $90 because they have to reprogram some bs to make it work! Fortunately I found them first and promply got a spare made... good luck man!
Lyncher68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
sewiv
i like monkeys

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
As I've mentioned before, I haven't owned a vehicle in years that I haven't had at least 6 copies of the keys for. Keys are a whole lot cheaper than replacing cylinders and all that hassle.

You'll probably end up drilling it out.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
bds3795

Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco XLT 351W
find a locksmith that also repossess cars. I have witnessed a repossession in 3 mins with no tow-trucks or keys. The guy picked mid 90's the ford-based motor home door in less than a min, and made a key for the ignition with snippers in two mins. Call around to every locksmith in the area and tell him you need a key made for the ignition on the spot. A good locksmith can make a key by looking at the marks the cylinder makes on a blank.
bds3795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Iolaus
Seeking Tanelorn

Bronco Info: Black '90 351 Bronco XLT, 6" Pro Comp stage II, 35" BFG ATs, K&N filter, Warn Premium Hubs
Do you still have the plastic folder in the glove box that has the owners manual in it? Mine had three metal tags in it as well. I didn't know what they were until people here told me - one for the vin, and one each for the key codes.

"I may be on the side of the angels - but donít think for one second that I am one of them."
When all else fails... mutiny.
Iolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
Bronco4Life

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds3795 View Post
A good locksmith can make a key by looking at the marks the cylinder makes on a blank.
Yep, my dad had a key punched just like that for his old F-100. Locksmith was an old timer that came out with a quick punch tool, stuck the blank into the ignition, put it in the puncher, and had the key done in maybe 2 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
Bronco4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
rightofway
has no skidplate

Bronco Info: 1990 5.8l on 33" BFG A/T, warn hubs
you could always see if the dealership can look up your codes with the vin

i've drilled ignitions before but i really don't reccomend it, it's kind of a PITA. take your time get the bit straight so you don't ruin other stuff, you'll have to pop off the chrome wing type part drill it till you can get a screwdriver to catch and turn it. then remove the cylinder and get a new one to pop in there
rightofway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #16
quicksilver3602003

Bronco Info: 1984 Ford Bronco XLT
Sucks that you lost your keys though man

CaptainSlappy360: o i know you can.... no woman can resist that sparkle in your eye when you walk down the street

"Owning a bronco is like having an expensive friend you love to ride her but you know it sure does cost some money to do so." -Griffkay
quicksilver3602003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
you've got an 85? im guess from your info.

if so you can just take the colum cover apart and pull out the long white slide switch. use a flathead to push it all the way over to start and release and its in run. Steering will be unlock. This trick works on prettymuch all fords from 91 back i think. this way you don't have to drill the ignition out....never really heard of that.

when you get the time go to the dealership with your vin and proof of ownership. they can cut you a new key, or at least give you the the #'s for it.

I've done all the above before, should work fine
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
BKB

cost me $100 to have keys made for my car and it took about 25 min. On a weekend. I found my keys the nest day in my pocket
BKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #19
mudder89
Banned

cant you get a new tumbler? thats what i did with my 80 bronco and its a new key.
mudder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #20
bds3795

Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco XLT 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
you've got an 85? im guess from your info.

if so you can just take the colum cover apart and pull out the long white slide switch. use a flathead to push it all the way over to start and release and its in run. Steering will be unlock.
yep, and if you can't get it into start, you can jump the starter relay under the hood when it is in run.
bds3795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!