e4od will not shift? stuck in neutral - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
djsk8r33

Bronco Info: '94 EB edition 5.8L and STOCK (for now..)
e4od will not shift? stuck in neutral

ok so im reversing down the driveway (who knows if i was even in R.
and i went to put it in Drive and it woudlnt shift. it was stuck in nuetral. Its a 94 EB with auto tranny. right now its just stuck in the street with the E-brake and 'IN park' its actually in nuetral because it kept rolling when i tried to park it. 4x4 doesnt work. 1, 2, OD dont work. 3 different people said 3 different things, Power brakes, IDK> HELP?!
djsk8r33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
93Beast

Bronco Info: Currently without a vehicle
is the truck running....

Little more information would help, what is the truck doing...does the engine rev and it sits, what is the truck actually doing besides "Not working"
Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
djsk8r33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Beast View Post
is the truck running....

Little more information would help, what is the truck doing...does the engine rev and it sits, what is the truck actually doing besides "Not working"
No, eveerything works perfect, it''ll rev up normal. all power options work(radio, etc) everything is perfect, it just wont come out of nuetral. i try to shift with the lever and it just feels loose(not sure on a word) it just goes up and down through all the gears (P, R, N, D, 2, 1)

there are no check dash lights on either
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
93Beast

Climb up under your truck and check the shifter linkage from the shift lever to the transmission and see if it is all connected. There are plastic clips that hold all the linkage together and one might have broken. WHich would allow the shift indicator on your steering column to move, but the tranny isnt acutally shifting.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
djsk8r33

Quote:
Climb up under your truck and check the shifter linkage from the shift lever to the transmission and see if it is all connected. There are plastic clips that hold all the linkage together and one might have broken. WHich would allow the shift indicator on your steering column to move, but the tranny isnt acutally shifting.
i was just under looking at stuff like that, wasnt sure exactly what's what. i be back in 5 mins blahh
Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
93Beast

If everything is connected at the transmission point, engage your emergency brake and have someone watch the shift linkage at the tranny while you move the lever at the column to see if the shift linkage is actually moving.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
djsk8r33

Quote:
If everything is connected at the transmission point, engage your emergency brake and have someone watch the shift linkage at the tranny while you move the lever at the column to see if the shift linkage is actually moving.
dude youre the man. im gunna post the picture soon, but the linkage? from the lever wasnt connected. i just poped back on the little ball. but its still somewhat loose. should i tap it in with a hammer or something?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
93Beast

Post the pic and I will let you know.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
93Beast

If the rod just popped off, the ball or the socket that clips over it is worn out. I have never had this problem, but I am assuming that you will have to replace that little bracket with the ball on it and/or the rod with the clippy. If youare gonna keep driving it, I would use the emergency brake anytime you park it, in case it pops off again. I am sure Steve83 or someone on here, knows EXACTLY what part you have to replace. I will do some looking around to see if I can find a part # for ya.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
djsk8r33

Quote:
If the rod just popped off, the ball or the socket that clips over it is worn out. I have never had this problem, but I am assuming that you will have to replace that little bracket with the ball on it and/or the rod with the clippy. If youare gonna keep driving it, I would use the emergency brake anytime you park it, in case it pops off again. I am sure Steve83 or someone on here, knows EXACTLY what part you have to replace. I will do some looking around to see if I can find a part # for ya.
so one of them is probably worn out? okay. and i always use my E-brake so thats a good thing.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Bronco4Life

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Yeah, just pulled off. In that pic you took, it's not all the way on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
Bronco4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
93Beast

1) EIther its worn out and popped off on its own
2) Someone is playing a practical joke on you
3) Someone was trying to tow it without having the keys, pop off the rod and push it into nuetral by hand (Dont ask how I know)
4) Someone was going to steal it.

I am betting one of the two pieces got warn out and fell off when you hit a big bump in the road or something and you didnt notice it cause you were already in gear.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
djsk8r33

Quote:
1) EIther its worn out and popped off on its own
2) Someone is playing a practical joke on you
3) Someone was trying to tow it without having the keys, pop off the rod and push it into nuetral by hand (Dont ask how I know)
4) Someone was going to steal it.

I am betting one of the two pieces got warn out and fell off when you hit a big bump in the road or something and you didnt notice it cause you were already in gear.
#3 is right. the school keeps towing my truck, im about to sue the company. now since they broke it of (somewhat) how does it go back in all the way.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
93Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsk8r33 View Post
#3 is right. the school keeps towing my truck, im about to sue the company. now since they broke it of (somewhat) how does it go back in all the way.
Grab a pair of channel locks or vise grips and put one side on the inside of the "L" bracket that has the little ball and the other side of the tool on the "clip" and just squeeze until it pops all the way on.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
93Beast

It shouldnt take that much force at all. It will be butted up against the little lip that you see in the picture.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #16
Bronco4Life

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsk8r33 View Post
Why are they towing your truck?

If you haven't done anything wrong and you have a parking permit and all that jazz, then you should definitely get ahold of whoever is giving the tow company the authorization to tow your truck, and let them know you're going to file harassment charges, or whatever other BS you can make fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
Bronco4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #17
djsk8r33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco4Life View Post
Why are they towing your truck?

If you haven't done anything wrong and you have a parking permit and all that jazz, then you should definitely get ahold of whoever is giving the tow company the authorization to tow your truck, and let them know you're going to file harassment charges, or whatever other BS you can make fly.
long story short, no i dont have a parking permit
Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #18
SigEpBlue
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
Get a permit!!! Geez man, you're still wondering why they're doing it? They're not harassing you if you're parking illegally and they tow you; you're being a pain in the arse by not following the school's rules, plain and simple. Obviously tickets haven't worked (or you're parking in a really bad spot), so they're hoping towing your rig and having to pay a fee each time you want it back will teach you something.
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
SigEpBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #19
djsk8r33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Get a permit!!! Geez man, you're still wondering why they're doing it? They're not harassing you if you're parking illegally and they tow you; you're being a pain in the arse by not following the school's rules, plain and simple. Obviously tickets haven't worked (or you're parking in a really bad spot), so they're hoping towing your rig and having to pay a fee each time you want it back will teach you something.
thing is, i dont pay the fee. my hockey coach owns the towing place, its just a pain going there to pick it up, then they **** with all the brakes n shit. as you can see.

and again, long story short, cant get a permit
Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
Da Beast

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco xlt 5.0, AOD, 31" bfg a/t's
cant get a permit OR wont get a permit because your scared of random drug testing (thats how they do it at my school)
Da Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech