Truck dies when put in gear...wtf - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
RubberChicken

Angry Truck dies when put in gear...wtf

Ok...First off, I'm enlisted in the Navy, so if I don't respond right away, it's not 'cause I'm not satisfied with the answer...it's pry 'cause I'm floating in a giant puddle, waiting to go home and work on my truck....So, that said, I got a 1982 F150 w/ 351W & C6 tranny...Truck is stock, save for a mild lift (might as well be stock...it's old) and 33's...See, problem is, when I start it (rough starting)...it just wants to die....so, yeah, the electric choke is plug is cut.....thank the owner before me...So, I gotta keep on the gas to keep it running...but say, if I romp on it..the revs stay high as HELL (dunno what RPM...my tach doesn't work...if anyone knows the solution to THAT, it would be sweet) for a while before coming back down...the throttle return spring is really old and crappy, but it snaps the butterfly valve on the carb right shut. So it's not like it's staying open...So...what gives? Can't figure it out. My next problem being once it IS running, once you drop it in gear, ker-put, she's dead, unless you're on the gas when you switch into gear, which is HORRIBLE for the tranny, I know... Only gear she kinda likes is first...2nd, after a while, but punch it and it dies...drive, off the line, on the gas, dead. Reverse keeps her alive usually. But not from a dead standstill...gotta be rolling. Is my trans just totally and completely Effed, or could all thest problems be fixed with a simple swap out of the carb? All my prior vehicles have been EFI, so driving carbs...no, but owning one...I'm new at. So...I'm stumped...To me, it sounds like a simple issue of not getting the proper air/fuel mix and just dumping the engine...But I could be wrong. If that's the case, I already have a 720 cfm Truck Avenger carb and Wieland intake manifold sitting in my garage (thank God for the wife....) ready to go on when I get home. I hope it's the extent of it....maybe some burnt valves...I dunno. Didn't have time to pull the heads before I got shipped off to play silly little games for the government. So, that's first, after the carb and manifold come off. But...if anyone's got any suggestions, I'm more than open. Thanks, y'all.

-Happiness is a 200 round belt of ammunition and one solid trigger squeeze.
RubberChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Baron Von Automatic

Sounds like a vacuum leak. You should wire the choke to an ignition hot source too.
Baron Von Automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
J. Mark

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.0 Auto
I agree it sounds like a massive vacuum leak. If you can't find a line off or a port uncapped I'd be surprised.
J. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
marks500

Bronco Info: 1991 Ford Bronco Custom-1990 f-250 XLT lariat Diesel-1988 Ford F-150 XLT 6in skyjacker,3in body,36SS
Yeah sounds like a vacumm line had the same problem when one was just dry rotted and broke off the connector.
marks500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech