An Unexpected Trip to Portland (pt. Deux) - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '93 Custom 351W/E4OD/1356 4"Susp. 33" Tires. Now rockin the soft top.
An Unexpected Trip to Portland (pt. Deux)

As some may remember I took a weeklong "vacation" at the Doernbechers Childrens Hospital last summer when my 11 year old son got an infection in his left eye that was tryin to get into his brain. That thread is HERE

Well a few weeks ago my 2 yr old daughter's left eye started to swell up. the doc said allergies cause nuthin was in there and said try benadryl. didnt work. next day we were back and they started her on antibiotics. swelling went down. she took those for 7 days. the swelling stayed down but never went away completely. after she was done with the antibiotics the swelling came back. so back to the doc's we went. they had no ideas so since the antibiotics were helping they ordered another course and referred us to an opthamologist. he ordered a cat scan. so last fri they took xrays which didnt show enough and went ahead and did a cat scan. the radiologist saw a large mass above her eye socket and a small hole being eroded in her skull underneath it. so the eye doc referred us to the Casey Eye Institute at the OHSU campus which is where Doernbechers is. (also where my son went every day while he was there)

Heres some pics:

A few days before the cat scan. Notice the swelling above the left eye:

Monday early evening at the surgery center of Casey Eye Institute. Notice the "X" on her eye. Its so they cut open the right one i guess :

In pretty good spirits:

Shot of Portland from the roof of Casey:

Cirque de Soliel was in town:

After surgery:

Back at the hotel. She didnt get to eat most of the day. she was packin away strawberries and cheerios like crazy, tryin to watch Spongebob:

Two days later the night we got back home:

Eatin popcorn with her big sister:

She is healin up really good. doesnt complain about it. Doesnt mess with it. Eatin good, sleepin good, playin hard. Doin much better then she was before the surgery.

It was a VERY stressful time. especially after doin it once before, although the two were very different circumstances. We still dont know what it was they removed from her forehead. They said the results would take 7-10 days.
We should know at the beginning of next week and then we have a follow up appt. on Monday the 3rd of April.

Unlike last time, my wife, older daughter, and my mom-in-law went too, not just me. We all stayed in a hotel together. The Elks Lodge is a huge benefactor of Casey Eye and picked up the tab for 2 of the nights we stayed there which really helped out since im still off of work and on disability and my wife is missing 10 days from her job. We ate on the cheap bringing a lot of food from home. Her mom did treat us to breakfast and dinner on our last night there. My best friend Mike who moved up there about 7 months ago visited every night and was a big emotional support. Me and him even went to the movies. "The Hills Have Eyes".

Gotta say i hate driving in downtown Portland.

Well thats the story so far.

Joe

Baby Girl
My SuperCrap Site

"The Price Good Men Pay For Indifference To Public Affairs Is To Be Ruled By Evil Men"
-Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Portland sux... glad you baby girl is don' good.
God speed healin' up!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 AM

Bronco Info: I may be slow, but I'm expensive!
I'm glad to read that everything went well, Joe. Our oldest had a cyst removed from above her eye, when she was about your daughter's age... we understand the stress well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '93 Custom 351W/E4OD/1356 4"Susp. 33" Tires. Now rockin the soft top.
the eye doc thought at first that it was sumthin called a "dermoid cyst". cat scan showed otherwise. whatever the stuff was it was all up in her forehead as well as fillin her eyelid.

Baby Girl
My SuperCrap Site

"The Price Good Men Pay For Indifference To Public Affairs Is To Be Ruled By Evil Men"
-Plato
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95 Bronco, 351W, NP435/205, Solid D44 front, 35" MTR's, 3.55 gears
wow, that's really scarry. Glad everything went smoothly

My SuperFord
'95 Eddie Bauer-- 351W, NP435/205, D44 SAS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

yeah the whole "hole in her skull" thing was really freaky. i mean shes only two fer criminy's sake. the doc said he put some steroid stuff in there to make the bone knit up really fast.

oh yeah one other thing they thought it might be was an infection in her "lacrimal gland" which is the thingy that makes yer tears.

lucky her she had to get a tumor poor baby

it might possibly be sumthin called "eosiniphilic granuloma"

doc threw that out as a maybe. if it is that then we got lucky cause whats all ready been done will have fixed it.

Baby Girl
My SuperCrap Site

-Plato
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Former owner of Shadofax

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes93Bronco
yeah the whole "hole in her skull" thing was really freaky. i mean shes only two fer criminy's sake. the doc said he put some steroid stuff in there to make the bone knit up really fast.

oh yeah one other thing they thought it might be was an infection in her "lacrimal gland" which is the thingy that makes yer tears.

lucky her she had to get a tumor poor baby

it might possibly be sumthin called "eosiniphilic granuloma"

doc threw that out as a maybe. if it is that then we got lucky cause whats all ready been done will have fixed it.
man that's really scary Joe. So they are still guessing at this point as to what's going on?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

yeah until the biopsy results of the mass of goo they took out come back. doc said 7-10 days. they are supposed to call on monday to see how shes doing and hopefully theyll know by then.

Baby Girl
My SuperCrap Site

-Plato
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:57 AM

Bronco Info: 93 bronco Custom 4.56's both Trac locs w/33x10.50's
Glad to see she's doing better, that's great...!
The Portland metro area isn't that bad either.
I was raised as a kid on the other side of the Willamette River where you took those pics. And yeah, I could walk to the river as a kid and fish for steelhead too.. And my parents had one of the best childrens hospitals right accross the river too.
Keep us posted, and our prayers are with your family...

It's coming back!, slowly.
78' Big Bronco "Outdoors" Daktari.

93' Bronco Custom 33x10.50's 4.56's LS F&R. Ex OSP game enforcement rig. Dual shocks sway bars F&R. 33 gallon Tank. Oh yes rubber floor mats/factory no carpet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Pacific Northwest Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode