Stan's AEV Bronco Build - Ford Bronco Forum
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
Stan's AEV Bronco Build

AEV stands for American Expedition Vehicle, I know it sounds kind of cheesy but the purpose behind my truck is to go anywhere, do anything, AND be able to drive home. Im not a big fan of having more than one vehicle-- yeah it would be nice to have a DD gas efficient car, a bad ass wheeler, and a tow rig; but I have no time, money, or space for those extra vehicles. My truck is my daily driver, my weekend warrior, and my BIG project. Im designing my truck to take on some of the hardest trails, drive across the nation, and be able to look go doing it. Im a big fan of Form AND Function

Specs of the rig:
1996 Eddie Bauer
4" Rancho lift with extended arms
AAL in the rear
35x12.5R15 BFG All Terrains
Front and Rear E-Lockers
Yukon 4.56 gears in both ends

Future plans:
Custom Rear bumper with tire carrier (currently working on!)
Sliders
Custom Front bumper
Other doodads

Picture of the truck when I first started and most recent (will continue to update this picture when modifications change).

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com

Last edited by schwim; 11-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 Eddie Bauer - 5.8L 351W - E4OD - '78 D44HP SAS - 4.88 Gears - 35" BFG MTs - 160A 3G etc..
Damn you! I was gonna use Expeditionary Vehicle to some extent, and you beat me to it. :) The thought behind it is awesome IMO. It's not JUST a wheeling rig, or a mudding rig, or a dd, or a cross-country baja type, it's really all of the above. My thoughts exactly :)

Great looking rig... Red on tan FTW!
post #3 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

I know that every body loves pictures, so here are some to show that the truck has always been wheeled and is still decently clean looking.

Last edited by schwim; 11-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #4 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 AM

Bronco Info: 95' E.B.
Good luck I'll be watchin close because that's what I had in mind for my rig. Keep up the photo's and when I get a little futher along with mine I'll post some.

Russell Fox
95 E.B. 5.8L BFG MT 32x11.5, K&n intake
**[Gillamonster] 10:31 pm: i do it with bare hands jopes

maybe hard to get the wife interested in a quickie.
post #5 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

Man I just realized how crappy my wheeling pictures are. I have great posers, but my wheeling shots need some work. Im going to the Nor-Cal meet and great this month, so Im sure there will be lots of pictures to add.

This thread is going to contain my modifications, builds, and just misc. chit chat about my rig. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtarsha View Post
Damn you! I was gonna use Expeditionary Vehicle to some extent, and you beat me to it. :) The thought behind it is awesome IMO. It's not JUST a wheeling rig, or a mudding rig, or a dd, or a cross-country baja type, it's really all of the above. My thoughts exactly :)

Great looking rig... Red on tan FTW!
haha good thinking. It honestly is a mix of all terrains. I never wanted to build a truck based on on type of terrain or my favorite terrain, because California has so much to offer me. There's mud, there's rock, there's sand, trails, and highways. My truck averages 15 MPG with 35s and the new gears so its not terrible. My bronco is a blast to drive and I really wouldnt trade it for a small economical car. Sure, with trying to build for all terrains, Its not going to excel in any one thing, but it will get me there, through it, and back (especially with 2 lockers and soon--sliders).

So there's the shakedown of my truck.

post #6 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 Eddie Bauer - 5.8L 351W - E4OD - '78 D44HP SAS - 4.88 Gears - 35" BFG MTs - 160A 3G etc..
post #7 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtarsha View Post
Got any SAS plans?
Nope. Too diverse for a SAS as of now. I actually like the TTB so far... yeah a SFA works great in the rocks, but my TTB is getting me by just fine for now.

post #8 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 AM
Man with a Golden ticket

Bronco Info: 96 blackout XLT Sport 5.8L E4OD, 4" Rancho w/ 35" MTR's
Stan you are the man!

You just might be a redneck if you start a conversation with:
"happened to us when Dad got pinched by the feds."
- Biker Pepe' -
post #9 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Howdy howdy howdy!

Bronco Info: 1996 XL 302, Rebuilt E4OD, Transgo shift kit, 32" BFG's
Stan, you truly have a beautiful bronco. Mine can only hope to look that gorgeous someday.

Although I want it to be identical to yours... with black paint

Tim AKA Stick Boy. "Tougher then you!"

96 Ford Bronco, 302, The weekend warrior.

96 F-250 Powerstroke. 4 tons of tire shredding, coal rollin' fun.
post #10 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Diesel Gynachologist

Bronco Info: 2001 F350
ah the memorys. reminds me of my bronco and goal before i really started wheeling. then it was rebuild it to make it better. bash in the sheetmetal, the start all offer to build another rig to be better at wheeling then the bronco could ever be. Then need a tow rig so gotta buy and sell to make that happen. damn if i would only known! see what your future holds stan!?!

hurry up and dent that pretty thing already. beat it like it owes you money

Ford Senior Master Technician

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...x.php?vID=1309
Quote:
"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
post #11 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Retired

Bronco Info: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post

post #12 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT/5.0/E4OD
I like the idea. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I think instead of starting out with suspension and tires, I'm going to do a saginaw swap, OBA, and a dual battery setup. Then decide on what type of a suspension I need.

I look forward to seeing your pics.

Quote:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill
post #13 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Looks like it will be a cool build Stan. As to the rear bumper i was looking though a JBG catalog and found a pic of a Protofab rear bumper that was coming out soon. I could not find any pic's online but i took one of the pic in the catoalog but i not a great pic. Maybe you could give them a call for more details.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #14 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
GKR

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco XLT, 95 Bronco XLT, 96 Bronco XLT
That's the same goal I have with my truck. Trying to make it a "do anything" ride. I still drive it to work 3-4 times a week. Just went to the Dunes for the first time a few weeks ago and it really showed how much I need some type of torque arm or 4 link....... to control the axle wrap rompin in the sand. You do have to deal with the frustration of compromise though. It would be such a better trail truck if that's all it was used for. Lookin forward to watchin you build
post #15 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
search, you #$%@! noob

Bronco Info: broncoless!
just so you know, there is a already company called AEV which stands for American Expedition Vehicles, they do jeep stuff.

i had the same plan as you years back, mine started out stock and eventually came out like this (and i wheeled the piss out of it and drove it home):

good luck in your build

Dave

- Karma is a boomerang -

Last edited by schwim; 11-28-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #16 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2003

Bronco Info: '89 XLT SAS ~'78 Ranger, '90 Eddie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Nope. Too diverse for a SAS as of now. I actually like the TTB so far... yeah a SFA works great in the rocks, but my TTB is getting me by just fine for now.

My '89 does very well with a low lift SAS as my daily driver. I havent had it on a trailer yet, and it will do all i want. (if its gonna get hairy i break out the '78)
post #17 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Pissin' into the wind

Bronco Info: I don't even own a Ford anymore...but I still luv you guys
Over on Pirate they created this forum, you might be able to get some good idea's for your AEV.

I've actually been thinking about turning my Ram into an Expedition type vehicle.

...thoughts arrive like butterflys...
post #18 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhart View Post
just so you know, there is a already company called AEV which stands for American Expedition Vehicles, they do jeep stuff.
Im aware of that company and they make really nice parts. There is also a web site for people who actually expedition around the world which is pretty cool (I'll have to find it later).

I didn't realize so many people were going to watch my build, now I'm all giddy and excited to get more work done.

post #19 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
ah the memorys. reminds me of my bronco and goal before i really started wheeling. then it was rebuild it to make it better. bash in the sheetmetal, the start all offer to build another rig to be better at wheeling then the bronco could ever be. Then need a tow rig so gotta buy and sell to make that happen. damn if i would only known! see what your future holds stan!?!

I already know the path that Im headed down. These are my plans for now, but they are subject to change at any time

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post
Looks like it will be a cool build Stan. As to the rear bumper i was looking though a JBG catalog and found a pic of a Protofab rear bumper that was coming out soon. I could not find any pic's online but i took one of the pic in the catoalog but i not a great pic. Maybe you could give them a call for more details.

Thats pretty cool. I like working on my own truck and installing all of my own stuff. Everything done to the truck has been installed by me and I really want to start fabricating my own parts now too. A rear bumper is first on the list, so we will see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR View Post
That's the same goal I have with my truck. Trying to make it a "do anything" ride. I still drive it to work 3-4 times a week. Just went to the Dunes for the first time a few weeks ago and it really showed how much I need some type of torque arm or 4 link....... to control the axle wrap rompin in the sand. You do have to deal with the frustration of compromise though. It would be such a better trail truck if that's all it was used for. Lookin forward to watchin you build
Dude, I envy your build!

post #20 of 882 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Sayulita Layta!

My truck needs some maintenance attention asap. I have a leaky master cylinder, worn out brake pads, and scored rotors... plus I need extended brake lines.

Heres my thinking:
F350 Brake booster
F350 Master cylinder with a new "switch"
New brake pads
and possibly turn the rotors?

What is a good set of pads to get (seeing as how Napa Auto has like 5 choices) and how much will having a shop re-surface run me? The rotors aren't in too bad of shape, but they are scored and NOT smooth. If I drag my finger nail across them, I can feel the roughness pretty good.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode