Unbelievable. - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Skyjacker leveling coils/aal, 33x12.50 Kevlar MT's, Flowmaster Duals, Uniden CB, other misc mods
Unbelievable.

It seems like my truck is falling apart.

I understand vehicles need maintenance...but this truck is getting out of control. I am going to vent a bit.

A few months ago I discovered tranny fluid leaking from my front seal, between the transfer case and tranny. Aamco charged me 650 bucks to re do the front and rear seal, put in a new filter, and new fluid.

A week later after washing it, I tried starting it at the car wash and it was dead. I had a friend come jump it, and I drove it home. Tried it right away again, and it was deader then hell. Had my battery tested, and found it was bad. Replaced it for 100 bucks. Luckily my alternator wasn't bad.

A few days later my truck started giving me major ideling problems. It was dying occasionally at lights, and while driving and letting off the throttle, the RPM"s would drop down almost killing the truck. My check engine light came on and I found out it was the MAF. I cleaned it and the problem went away.

A few weeks ago I found a bad antifreeze/coolant leak under my truck. I traced it back to what I think is the water pump. I checked all the hoses, and thermostat and didn't see any signs of leakage. I am hoping it is the water pump and not a head gasket. I am still cruising with the leak now because I don't have the money to fix it.

I managed to pull the money together for my new 33's last week because my tires were bald. After the leveling coils, my alignment is horrible. The TTB is showing what it can do...\'''O''/. Obviously I can't drive it that much with it like that because it will only wear down my brand new tires. I took it to ford for an alignment this morning only to be called back with the worse news yet. They claim the ball joints and upper control arms are bad on both side. Repairs are $1200 dollars. Give me a break. Thats insane! I don't have that kind of money. I told them to leave it the way it is. I am going to try to take it somewhere else. Or maybe try to do it on my own. How hard is the job?

Oh yeah, and my MAF started acting up again yesterday. Seems like a result of the bigger tires. Everything seems to be crumbling.

1996 Eddie Bauer. Sold June 2013. Bought back September 2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Some assembly required!

Bronco Info: 90 EB, 351W, E40D, D60 SAS, 10.25 rear, ARB's front & back, indellible Cheerwine stain in carpet
I hate to break it to ya, but your truck is 12 years old now. 12 years is a long time to go without some serious maintenance, and it's all catching up to you at the same time. The ball joints are not tough if you have the right equipment, and damn near impossible if you don't. Most small shops I've seen charge $500 or so for a ball joint job, but having said that, if they're tearing it that far down anyway you had might as well have them do the TTB pivot bushings as well at the same time.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
It's BTW Not AKA!

Bronco Info: 92 F-150 4x4, 302, BBK Shorties, Flowmaster Duals, M5OD, 2" Rancho Coils, 33x12.50 M/Ts
1. It is a given that the truck should have been aligned after the leveling coils. No brainer there.

2. Before you can fix that coolant leak you have to find out whats leaking. Pretty much anything that could leak minus head gaskets can be fixed in the driveway.

3. I want to know what Ford was calling an upper control arm and how the arm itself could go bad even if there was such a thing on these trucks. Balljoints and everthing from the differential out could be replaced in the driveway for probably $500 or less. And you end up with a fully rebuilt front end, minus the differential itself.

Get a plan together and go for it. Times like these are what made me get another, newer truck. I was pretty much making a truck payment every month putting stuff into the 92. It was never ending. Now that it is not a DD anymore, some of those things can be put on hold yet the truck is still very much driveable when I need it.

1992 F-150 4x4
East Coast Firefighting- Only the Best
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...il.php?id=4768

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogonmut View Post
NTB stole my baby's momma away from me when she was on her way down to the check cashin' store to pay my beeper bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I spent $330 for 4 BJs.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Broncoless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blkbeauty View Post
They claim the ball joints and upper control arms are bad on both side. Repairs are $1200 dollars.
UM..............yea ok

but like dave said. it is 12 years old so exspect things to break.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 302/E4OD & 90 EB 302/AOD
kinda normal. Put on some junk 33s on the front and drive it. Do an "eye ball it" alignment.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Since when do bronco's have upper control arms.

The ball jonts are a bitch if you do not have the right tools, and an alignment will probably cost about 300 bucks with the ball joint adjuster.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 PM
It's BTW Not AKA!

Bronco Info: 92 F-150 4x4, 302, BBK Shorties, Flowmaster Duals, M5OD, 2" Rancho Coils, 33x12.50 M/Ts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post

The ball jonts are a bitch if you do not have the right tools, and an alignment will probably cost about 300 bucks with the ball joint adjuster.
A what?

1992 F-150 4x4

Quote:
NTB stole my baby's momma away from me when she was on her way down to the check cashin' store to pay my beeper bill.
Quote:
I spent $330 for 4 BJs.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Broncoless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
A what?
camber kit.... maybe thats what hes talking about
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 F150 302 M5OD 33's
You can rent the ball joint press from the parts store for free. You'll need a spindle nut socket for your hubs ($20) and a snap ring pliers set. Everything else is basic hand tools and patience. It's about a 4-5 hour job for the first side ball joint and about an hour for the other side. While you are in there you can replace the camber bushings that are causing your \--o-/ problem with a set of 2.75 degree adjustable available at Napa since the camber bushing has to come out to replace the ball joint. Then you just take it in for a routine (as TTB can be) alignment.

Water pumps are like $30. It's not likely the head gasket unless you severely overheated it. I don't fall for the "I can't afford it" line. I know the feeling you are having, but it is an old vehicle so you have to be willing to get in there and turn a wrench.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Bronco Info: Sold
Get a Honda.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: Skyjacker leveling coils/aal, 33x12.50 Kevlar MT's, Flowmaster Duals, Uniden CB, other misc mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
1. It is a given that the truck should have been aligned after the leveling coils. No brainer there.

2. Before you can fix that coolant leak you have to find out whats leaking. Pretty much anything that could leak minus head gaskets can be fixed in the driveway.

3. I want to know what Ford was calling an upper control arm and how the arm itself could go bad even if there was such a thing on these trucks. Balljoints and everthing from the differential out could be replaced in the driveway for probably $500 or less. And you end up with a fully rebuilt front end, minus the differential itself.

Get a plan together and go for it. Times like these are what made me get another, newer truck. I was pretty much making a truck payment every month putting stuff into the 92. It was never ending. Now that it is not a DD anymore, some of those things can be put on hold yet the truck is still very much driveable when I need it.
Yeah, I understand that the alignment needed to be done. That isn't a surprise. The surprise was expecting a 50 dollar bill and getting a call back saying it is going to cost 1200 before they can even come close to aligning it. Kinda a shitty thing to hear when you're broke and don't want to ruin your new tires. haha.

I wish I could go out and get a new DD so I could tear into my Bronco daily...and not have to worry about getting it back together before the next day. I wouldn't have any problems with repairs then. I graduate college in 8 months, so hopefully I will pick something up for a DD then.

I just talked to the guy from Ford on the phone briefly between my classes. I am going in around 12:30 to get the whole story and see what they mean. I will update with exactly what is wrong soon.

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Oh, also I don't plan on spending that kinda money to get it done. I will attempt to do it on my own, and hopefully succeed.

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Sayulita Layta!

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
I hate to break it to you, but thats the way it goes. I have experience this myself and the maintenance always comes up after the modifications. Waterpumps, ball joints, anything on the truck besides engine work is pretty easy. Get a friend (someone semi-knowledgeable), some info from FSB, and the right tools; and you can have anything done. I took a weekend in May to do the ball joints by myself in my driveway. I had a basic set of Craftman hand tools, a D44 socket, torque wrench, and a rented BJ press. Its the labor that kills, I spent $330 for 4 BJs, all new TRE's, draglink, and an alignment. It was time consuming, but nowhere near impossible.

Keep your head up man. Your engine probably just needs a tune up. Do the sixlitre and you should be good to go. Bigger tires aren't going to give you MAF problems.

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I enjoy getting in and working on my truck. Its a great feeling knowing you did it and you are capable of doing it yourself.

I will get everything fixed eventually, it will just take some time. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try to replace the ball joints and put some adjustable bushings on there this Sunday.

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Im going to go through my bank accounts and add up what I have spent in parts and maintanence and compair it to what I bought it for

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:56 PM
TTB FTW

Bronco Info: 1984 EFI 351w,C6,NP208,33x12.50 AT3W,9",D44TTB,3.55 gears,Rancho 4" Lift
Garage
you shouldnt be complaining really, on my 84 I had to redo the entire ignition system,tires and brakes,new carb and fuel pump, new belts and hoses,all the fluids,alignments,Steering wheel coloum had to be rebuilt,had to get new shocks,new front wheel bearings,new tie rod ends and radius arm bushings. I had around 2500 just in parts(i do all my own work) before i could drive it a mile down the road.

Now im doing an EFI swap, thats atleast 1500 right there. Its all relative though. its worth it to me.

If you dont like doing maintence be glad you bought the newest year you could, you would have sold my 84 before ever getting it on the road.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 302, AOD, 3.55 gears. 31" Tires
I would love to be working on my broncos, but i just don't have time right now. Broncos NEVER had "upper control arms" I think you're gettin' jacked here.

I tried sniffing coke, but the ice cubes kept getting stuck in my nose.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajSuckelton View Post
It's about a 4-5 hour job for the first side ball joint and about an hour for the other side.

been there done that.

The Bronco Was A Cop, not me.
KI6KTH
"Glory is reserved for those who go where others fear to tread!"
BIGGEST FSB stickers on the board!
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
It's BTW Not AKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blkbeauty View Post
Yeah, I enjoy getting in and working on my truck. Its a great feeling knowing you did it and you are capable of doing it yourself.

I will get everything fixed eventually, it will just take some time. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try to replace the ball joints and put some adjustable bushings on there this Sunday.
This is the kit I will end up ordering when I rebuild the axle thats going in the 92'. It would be hard to buy all the parts seperatly for less, and appearantly the kit comes with grande joints now.

1992 F-150 4x4

Quote:
Quote:
I spent $330 for 4 BJs.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
It's BTW Not AKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
I would love to be working on my broncos, but i just don't have time right now. Broncos NEVER had "upper control arms" I think you're gettin' jacked here.
Don't jump the gun. I promise the dealer works on more newer vehicles than Broncos. Could just be misnomering the radius arm for a control arm. And yes, a spent RA bushing with screw up alignment.

1992 F-150 4x4

Quote:
Quote:
I spent $330 for 4 BJs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode