Official "Police/EMS/Federal Agency" Bronco info thread - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 XL 5.0, 5spd - currently building 5.8L for install.
Interesting thread! I went out to my Bronco to check out the DSO and found a 9E listed. Did some quick Google searching and really did not find much. Maybe Export?

My brother purchased the vehicle in 2008 while in Kansas. I was told it was an old farm truck. I figured with it being a manual everything XL....even transmission it was probably some city or forestry vehicle. Export would seem odd though. Anyway, I'm enjoying reading and viewing the cool SSP/Government vehicles that you guys are posting.

1995 XL Bronco - 5spd, 5.0 - Working on a 5.8 swap
1972 Grand Torino Sport - 351CJ, 4spd, 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
Here is one I saw today still in service with the L.A. Dept of Water and Power.
Sorry for the lousy picture quality, I couldn't pull over to take the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767 (800x314).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	62514  

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron∑co/ˈbršNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #63 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 PM

Bronco Info: 89 XLT, 351w, C6, 3.08
Here is my door sticker. I was told by my coworker his uncle bought it from an SC agency.

The original color is the door jamb color.
post #64 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagerman View Post
I retired out of the Border Patrol and never seen barn doors on them. 1980 to 2006. Seen a lot of crap but very few I'd buy. Most had the guts run out of them by guys that didn't know how to drive till they got in. Seriously.
The "barn doors" were a SDC invention. I came in in '90 and a bunch of the older rides had what I swear were ice cream truck doors instead of the stock tailgate/electric window set-up. The garage guys called them "ice cream truck" doors as well. The 88-91 Broncos that were in SDC had unending problems with the electric windows in the tailgate. SDC garage guys fab'd a panel that covered the rear opening then attached doors that had 'fridge handles on them.
The BP stopped using that ugly puke pale green paint jobs in 91. One could never confuse the BP green with the FS "mint" green. All BP rides 92's and up were white. FYI all the "old timers" called all Broncos "ramchargers". UGH.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a5626b7a00.jpg
post #65 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift & other stuff
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcowboy View Post
The "barn doors" were a SDC invention. I came in in '90 and a bunch of the older rides had what I swear were ice cream truck doors instead of the stock tailgate/electric window set-up. The garage guys called them "ice cream truck" doors as well. The 88-91 Broncos that were in SDC had unending problems with the electric windows in the tailgate. SDC garage guys fab'd a panel that covered the rear opening then attached doors that had 'fridge handles on them.
The BP stopped using that ugly puke pale green paint jobs in 91. One could never confuse the BP green with the FS "mint" green. All BP rides 92's and up were white. FYI all the "old timers" called all Broncos "ramchargers". UGH.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a5626b7a00.jpg
I came in in '96. I never had the privilege of seeing any homemade refrigerator doors on the Broncos, but I can just imagine how that looked! By my EOD, all those earlier Broncos were all gone, although there were a few baby-puke green Suburbans and a sedan or two still around at my station (CHU). And of course, the tank scopes! lol! Yes, the oldtimers were always nostalgic about those old Ramchargers! lol! I wonder if that's the way we are (or, just I am) today about the Broncos?

I always liked the photos of the IH Scouts and old surplus Jeeps. I bet those were fun rides! And, I kinda wished that I had stuck around long enough to drive one of those new Raptors!
post #66 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 PM

The old "Fred" trucks were the best. If you could teach the retards to lower the boom before driving thru airport mesa. They didn't last long without common sense. As to Jeeps, we had some Cherokees and I can say, without reservation, one could chase groups across the willow walkover if he were to fold in the mirrors first. Actually, folding in the mirrors wasn't always mandatory!
Ghosteh likes this.
post #67 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:07 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT
Garage
Here's my 95 XLT. I was told by the second owner that it was used as a Fire Chief's unit by a rural Fire Department somewhere in central Arizona. He purchased it, brought it to Colorado and sold it to me. Was still equipped with the driver spot light and a Galls control box in the center console for the wig wag headlights, tail lights and red/blue strobes in the reverse lights. Was also equipped with a Manik grille guard and Smittybuilt nerf bars. All lights (except the spotlight) have been disabled and the grill guard and nerf bars removed. Luckily there are no random holes in the roof from antennas or light bars. They did add a "mount" to the tire carrier for the old radio antenna. There are a few small mounting holes on the bottom of the dash for the old radio and switches used to control the emergency lights, but other than that the interior is un molested.

The day I got it.

Apparently it was originally sold through the LA DRO.

"Custom" antenna mount for emergency radio.

1995 XLT Daily Driver/ tow pig
1980 Toyota PU Rock Crawler
post #68 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
This is the sticker from @Cosmikdust omaha orange bronco

Dso 87 is body company per the evil Steve83, but what is 3025?

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #69 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XL, 302 V8, e4OD transmission
Garage
Interesting thread, my understanding from all of this is that my 95 is a government vehicle, which makes sense because there's also a US Army Corps of Engineers sticker on the edge of the door. Thanks BigBlue for bringing it back up.

post #70 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
The 83 DSO does in fact mean govt.

I was researching DSO numbers a bit back for my 78 f150, then today I stumbled upon this thread. My f150 was ordered by the Kansas City sales office, which has a pickup plant in KCMO but was built in San Jose, CA. Most likely for the rareish light jade color

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #71 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
I hadn't seen this thread until just now. My '92 was a forestry rig, which isn't quite as exciting as boarder patrol... It was outfitted with the H5 (4.10) rear end, but otherwise was a very base level setup. I purchased it at public auction.

A tow hitch was added (not factory as I originally thought), the roof service light was removed and crudely patched, it had a CB/GPS type antenna mount opposite the radio antenna, and the minty green body and white topper was painted white and black, respectively.

However, seeing Steve83's post atop pg 2 makes me wonder if it was really a forestry vehicle as assumed...

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ml#post3062615

Other than the vinyl graphics, that's exactly what mine would have looked like. They used that color scheme for boarder patrol trucks?

Then again...

Quote:
those lime green trucks are almost always US Forest Service.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ml#post4236418

Quote:
The BP stopped using that ugly puke pale green paint jobs in 91. One could never confuse the BP green with the FS "mint" green. All BP rides 92's and up were white.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ml#post5407337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet View Post
Have you taken a look at your VCL decal on the driver's side B-pillar to see if it has a (6) digit DSO #? I'm curious to know if the Police/EMT/Gov't use Broncos were also issued (or ordered with) a special DSO like the 84-93 Mustangs.
Unfortunately, my door sticker was painted over along with the rest of the crappy paint job -- even the windows weren't masked off -- so it's pretty tough to read, especially the top half. I can make out DSO 5000, with what looks like an 83 (gov't vehicle) over to the left.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
post #72 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted to Junk

Garage
Lacquer thinner may clean it off so you can read it. Isn't H5 the 4.10 LS? That's ultra rare. What do you have for the front axle setup?

The DSO codes are notoriously hard to decipher, other than the first two digits. One may be able to call ford and ask, if it's a newer vehicle.

post #73 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Lacquer thinner may clean it off so you can read it.
You're the paint expert... :) You don't think that'll damage the sticker underneath? Not that that would be much worse than a barely legible one, but I didn't want to blindly use chemicals without knowing how they would react with the plastic.

Quote:
Isn't H5 the 4.10 LS? That's ultra rare. What do you have for the front axle setup?
Correct. One thing I've never read up on is whether all 4.10's from other trucks are LS, or if that combo is what makes it so rare?

It's got the 4.09 front.

Quote:
The DSO codes are notoriously hard to decipher, other than the first two digits. One may be able to call ford and ask, if it's a newer vehicle.
I might have to give that a try. I never knew the DSO code was there, let alone had any significance. This thread has me curious now.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
post #74 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Addicted to Junk

Garage
The sticker should be two layers, one with the printed material, and then a clear protective layer over the top. Do not get too aggressive with the lacquer thinner. I'd put some on a rag and rub it a bit

No, not all 4.10s are LS.

post #75 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
The sticker should be two layers, one with the printed material, and then a clear protective layer over the top. Do not get too aggressive with the lacquer thinner. I'd put some on a rag and rub it a bit
I tried mineral spirits to no avail. I'll have to go pick up some lacquer thinner.

Quote:
No, not all 4.10s are LS.
Gotcha, thanks!

post #76 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Addicted to Junk

Garage
So, it's not a bronco, but I do have a 96 F350 XL that was bought by the Kansas City Missouri DOT and used for plowing duties. It's also a Canadian born truck. On the fenders are the adhesive stains of KCMO 578. Even came with an odd vinyl bench seat, used regularly in 2wd F150 single cabs.

From the factory it had a speed density 351, c6 trans, and BW44-07 TC. D60F, 10.25R with 4.11s.

They left part of the plow mount on it, and I can see holes on the dash from where controls would have been mounted.

post #77 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 351W, C6, manual transfer case, Rancho lift, springs, 3.50 rear. Not on the road yet
Garage
My 86 XLT is a rebuild/front end damage and repainted but has a cop swivel light on the driver's side. The pic my buddy took of my tag wasn't full, naturally it's missing the right side where letters might be. I won't be out where it's stored for several days. Is there a way to search for provenance online? (I haven't read the entire thread yet) I will get a full pic ASAP

" Government is a dangerous servant and a fearful master" George Washington
post #78 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Garage
@BigBlue 94 , good call on the lacquer thinner. I finally picked some up and that did a quick number on the paint over-spray. It's like having a new truck, being able to read what I've got!

Definitely DSO 5000 and gov't code 83.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

post #79 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Addicted to Junk

Garage
That paint code is indeed US forest service green.

Color Codes - Ditzler PPG 46173 Cross-Reference

This is the sticker from the f350 I posted above. Note that it has a Regional Code (of KC), instead of a DSO. Also notice all that extra carrying capacity (F and T numbers, in pounds) .

I have one bit of conflicting information. The trans code 'G' labels it as a c4, but it is a factory c6 transmission. Plus a c4 would never hold up under a one ton.

Last edited by BigBlue 94; 12-11-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Forgot the pic
post #80 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Addicted to Junk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Bronc Buster 00 View Post
My 86 XLT is a rebuild/front end damage and repainted but has a cop swivel light on the driver's side. The pic my buddy took of my tag wasn't full, naturally it's missing the right side where letters might be. I won't be out where it's stored for several days. Is there a way to search for provenance online? (I haven't read the entire thread yet) I will get a full pic ASAP

Appears to be DSO 74, which is Seattle, Wa. Paint codes point to red and white as original colors. Perhaps it was a fire chiefs truck if the pillar light is original.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode