Bronco camping upgrade ideas. - Ford Bronco Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Bronco Info: 1990 white ford bronco
Bronco camping upgrade ideas.

so now that i have the bronco i plan on taking it camping. has anyone done any camping mods?

looking for stuff that makes the camping a little bit easier if i was to go alone.

cant wait to see what you guys/gals have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Garage
The mods you use would depend on where you go camping. Deep in the woods, or in the middle of the desert for instance. Will there the trails for you to use, or do you need to forge your own trails. What resources will be available? How long will you be camping? What will the climate be like?

I'd go with something like a tent that folds out of the back with the tailgate. Plus some sort of cargo rack on the roof for cargo.

1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors, rear bumper w/ tire rack, 33" Goodyear Wranglers, 2" suspension lift.

To Do List: paint,
My BKO build: Project Farmhand
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by can'd_bronco View Post
has anyone done any camping mods?
That's another way of saying "I haven't searched or read any threads about wheeling or mods." There are plenty of threads in this forum about popular & unusual mods, so there's no need for you to start another. Camping is nothing new for Bronco owners.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
We should have a expedition section for those of us who aren't bent on turning a otherwise useful utility vehicle into a trailer queen that can't be relied upon for anything other than a monetary sacrifice to the land God. Oh nevermind they all are good for the sacrifice thing DD, trail rat, mud truck, mall crawler you name it they consume more money and time than most of us are willing to actually admit to any Jeep owner.

There are about a 1000 ways to set a Bronco up YOU need to decide what you like there is one guy here that even put a hammock in.

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Black FSB built 302ci on 35" BFG MT and an 88 stubborn mule on 38" toyo MTs, LS SASd
X2 on the expedition section

dr jekyll: 86 built 302,30 over, carbed, 4" lift on 35s...mr hyde: 88 302 LS SAS, both ends locked, hydro assist, 5.13s, on 38 toyos
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Member (inlovewithsurfin) Bronco tent setup:

[/QUOTE]
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
Garage
x3

I'd really like to see some kind of subsection too for people who aren't into cutting, chopping and heavily altering their vehicles. I've got long term(very long term) plans of turning my Bronco into essentially a Show/Expo rig of sorts. I'd even be willing to become a Lifetime subscriber and offer to Moderate it.

I do some reading and looking over at Expeditionportal.com. They have all kinds of people there with all kinds of vehicles and all sorts of knowledge levels. Some of these people are the type that drive away from home and stay gone for e very long time in their vehicles.

You need to look at what you want to do, what you plan to do and how you normally camp. Is it just going to be something that'll carry your load from point A to point B or will it be your live in, stay in, vehicle? Do you want or need to carry extra water, fuel, power? Spare parts? All sorts of things to consider.

Again, I'd REALLY like to see a subforum of sorts that would be for those of us who don't want to heavily mod our vehicles into Rock crawlers and mud racers. I know taht with my 92, I6/M5 running 235 tires on factory Alcoa type wheels, I can go ANYWHERE I want or need to and do it well. I don't need to SAS it, LIFT it, CUT the fenders, 4LINK it, or anything else other than what the Designers already put into it. The rest of the things I do to it are just niceties and convenient comforts.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

wow i like the info thats coming up.

salt: i like the idea of a truc tent but that looks like it would take just as long to set up as the floor tent i already have. also i think with the amount of stuff i bring along with me it would be a pain in the ass to uload everything just to sleep in the rig.

i live in cali so any type of camping is is in a small dive away. i guess one of the perks about giving up most of your rights.

anyone on here use a pop up tent on the top of the rig?

i like the idea of a roof rack but really hate ho much wieght is added to the top
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
I don't think you have to worry about a 100lbs or there abouts on top of a 2ton rolling monster your not going to need to worry about getting in a tippy situation unless you drive like a buffoon. These trucks handle loads nicely I pull a boat and don't even know it's back there.

I agree there that TTB is not as bad as some would have you to believe but it does have it's limitations and SAS is just 10 times simpler which means less parts to carry for extreme expeditioning .

FOTM DEC. 2011
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Bronco Info: 88 FSB. 4.9l -T18-BW1356-33" MTs-Warn hubs Daystar leveling kit
x4 on the expedition section. What makes sleeping in a tent on top of a truck better then on the ground?

Sliding rear windows, GT roll bar, Cargo net and looking for other rare options. 4.10 gears LSD 33" MTs First ever Stock Fullsize of the Month...
J A S N http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19528
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
I did all for the Nookie

Garage
Can a scorpion or a skunk climb a Bronco, No vapor barrier, I'm lazy, I could go on and on

FOTM DEC. 2011
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Man with a Golden ticket

Bronco Info: 96 blackout XLT Sport 5.8L E4OD, 4" Rancho w/ 35" MTR's
X5
It would be great to have a forum section devoted to Expeditionary vehicles and modifications.

I never plan to do any extreme wheeling mods, I just want an expeditionary type vehicle that can go anywhere and haul or tow anything I would need to survive there.

Great idea!

You just might be a redneck if you start a conversation with:
"happened to us when Dad got pinched by the feds."
- Biker Pepe' -
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggyb1972 View Post
Can a scorpion or a skunk climb a Bronco, No vapor barrier, I'm lazy, I could go on and on
Been camping for over 20 years, and have never had a skunk or scorpion climb in my tent. Not sure what you mean about no vapor barrier, in a RTT you sleeping on a pile of cold steel.

Sliding rear windows, GT roll bar, Cargo net and looking for other rare options. 4.10 gears LSD 33" MTs First ever Stock Fullsize of the Month...
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I did all for the Nookie

Garage
I have been fortunate enough to enjoy the company of both and I actually think the scorpion was the less worrysome at 3am although the skunk was considerably warmer.

The boyscouts always said to use a vapor barrier that way when you put you tent up the bottom isn't wet and yopu don't pick up ground water sepage. That's how I've done it for years and it always worked well.

FOTM DEC. 2011
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:04 PM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Did you not use the zipper?

post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I did all for the Nookie

Garage
Boy it was hot that year with the skunk and the breeze off the water was cooling. I think the skunk just wanted to hang out with my Uncle that guy was always was getting loved on by some animal he could almost do that thing like Crocodile Dundee never seen anyone like him in that respect.

FOTM DEC. 2011
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM

Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco xlt, 5.0/C6 bone stock
Plastic under the tent is also a small insulator from the cold ground. Make a real difference if you have never done it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James
What's wrong with your TTB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAKEBRONCO Nothing. But if we all could leave things well enough alone there wouldn't be any forum.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

i was looking into the pop up tents that ABR offers but i dont know about spending over 1k on something ill use 5 times a year
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Man with a Golden ticket

Bronco Info: 96 blackout XLT Sport 5.8L E4OD, 4" Rancho w/ 35" MTR's
Yeah, the idea is pretty cool but I just can't see the practicality to it.

You just might be a redneck if you start a conversation with:
"happened to us when Dad got pinched by the feds."
- Biker Pepe' -
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT| 351w | E40D | 32" tires
I've always liked the thought of turning a bronco into a VW-camper van style vehicle. The front passenger seat would be removed and turned into the vehicle entry.

The rear bench would be removed, replaced by some kind of futon couch/bed that parallels the rear window.

A small sink and propane stove would be on the opposite side probably close to the driver seat. The rear window would have a zippered or velcrow fly net. A small LED tv could probably be setup to flip down off the front cab section above the center console

AKA Probowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode