My F250 - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco, 6" skyjacker lift, 35 inch A/T's, 351m, 1998 gsx, 1977 f250 highboy 460
looks awesome. i never realized the interest in these trucks. i just got rid of my 97 f250 powerstroke crew cab short bed 4x4[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Blasphemy!
Around these parts, these old 7.3s are still commanding a decent price, theyre worth more than newer chevys or dodges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERJUNK View Post
Kevin,the rig looks great

Which kit did you go with?

I am looking at trying to lower my EGT's also.Those Baby Swamps are awesome but man,it gets real hot real quick..
Thanks
Yeah the EGTs, they climb fairly fast, but this takes care of that.
This is the kit I used. Not cheap, but arguably the best currently on the market. I ordered the "Under 300 HP" version with a single nozzle. You can go pretty wild with dual pumps & dual nozzles if youre putting down major power, but for a mild tow rig this is all I need.

Oh, interesting tidbit. I had no idea until yesterday, but Walmart has a separate website dedicated to MSDS sheets for every product they make. I mention this because according to the MSDS, their cheap Super Tech Windshield Washer Fluid is apparently just over 30% methanol, with the rest being water. So that's what im running in the tank

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Bronco Info: '87- 4.9, Tremec RTS 4-spd, 33's, SAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Oh, interesting tidbit. I had no idea until yesterday, but Walmart has a separate website dedicated to MSDS sheets for every product they make. I mention this because according to the MSDS, their cheap Super Tech Windshield Washer Fluid is apparently just over 30% methanol, with the rest being water. So that's what im running in the tank
You can always count on walmart for selling cheap and weak products

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
No kidding, that's the winter stuff. Looked up the MSDS for the summer washer fluid, and it says 70-100% water

On the up-side, the winter stuff is the exact mix of water/meth I wanted to run anyway, so that's what ill continue to get.

post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: transforming...
What does the water/meth injection do for it?

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
The water lowers your EGTs. This is the primary function, as the F250 is mainly a tow rig and not a cruiser. The methanol is primarily in there for winter use as it keeps the water from freezing, altho it is technically a fuel so you can gain HP from it, if theres enough of it in there.

The combo of 4.10s & 37s is nice for cruising, and I have the power to tow the bronco pretty well, but keeping my exhaust & cylinder temps manageable is somewhat challenging when towing in the mountains. This takes care of that. From the #s im seeing driving on the freeway to/from work, this system works better than an intercooler, which is actually kind of a PITA to install in these old trucks.

post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Kev,the kit that you have is a little(way)out of my price range.Is the stage one kit any good?What is the big difference between the 2?
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Seems like a pretty cool setup, I will be showing this to my bro in law. I am guessing it is a fairly inexpensive mod too.

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
It can go either way, just depends on how you spec out your kit. I went towards the high end (this one) because I wanted to buy it once and never have to worry about upgrading, altho you can get a basic kit from them for half that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERJUNK View Post
Kev ,the kit that you have is a little (way) out of my price range.Is the stage one kit any good?What is the big difference between the 2?
I bought the CMGS kit because it is the most tunable. Its my understanding that the basic kits which use a boost switch, merely turn on when you hit your desired boost level. The CMGS & VC2 are both progressive controllers. This means you set a start point (say 5psi) where they start injecting, and progressively ramp up injection rate as boost increases until it gets to 100% duty cycle, which you also set. For example, I have mine set to come on at 5PSI, and to run at 100% at 20 PSI. The controller will progressively inject more until it gets to 100%, whereas the simple boost switches are just on/off. This actually allows me to inject more water since it doesn't inject at 100% at 5PSI like it would if I only had a switch.

The main difference between the CMGS & the VC2 is the controller, the CMGS is a shaped like a standard 2 1/16 gauge whereas the VC2 is a big square controller. Functionally they are the same.

Both the CMGS & the VC2 can use the Failsafe Control Box (FCB or FSB, same thing), which is basically a brain that stores info about your system. It is designed as a secondary failsafe because if it senses something out of the ordinary it also will shut the system down and tell the controller to display a specific error code. I like it because it is basically a second system monitoring the injection, to make sure nothing goes wrong. Not required unless you go big with 2 injection pumps and 2 nozzles. But that's the big boy stuff, like 350 HP and up trucks, not what you or me have so again, not a requirement.

My kit also has a solenoid instead of check valve. The idea here is, the controller must turn on the solenoid in order to inject water; this means there is no chance of the system dripping into the intake when the engine is off or im parked on a hill, etc. Basically eliminates the chance of accidental hydro-lock. Also nice is that if something goes wrong, the controller drops the ground, which shuts the solenoid down preventing the pump from injecting anything.

The cool thing about their kits is you can buy a basic kit now, and then just add components to it later if you wanted to upgrade. Id recommend either the CMGS or VC2 even if you get a stripped down system because the progressive injection is badass. No matter what kit you get, upgrade to the solenoid for the comfort of knowing there is no check valve to potentially fail or leak through.

I would not bother buying a tank from them, id get one elsewhere since you can get more for your money that way.

post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
great work bud. never even herd of the system and now I know what it does and how to install it. needs it's own build thread... for F250 stuff.
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ha yeah, I know it doesn't apply to many people here but this is my primary hangout and I figured you guys would be interested anyway

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM
U jelly of my

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351W
Garage
I remember this truck! Still looking good as ever, you have a great tow rig/trail rig combo for sure!

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer (Sleeping)
>>>super slow build thread<<<

2003 & 2004 Mercury Marauder 2000 BMW M5 2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks

Water Injection Update: it is amazing. I consumed almost 20 gallons towing the bronco to VA, however I was loaded way heaver then I normally am, and that was with the cruise set at 65 for the whole trip. It works amazing, I was tuning it on the way down, and found at 100% duty cycle, it will drop my EGTs from 1200 to 900 in ~ 30 seconds That's going up hill, at 65mph. Yeah, it works awesome. Of course, tuned that high consumes a ton of water, so I throttled it back a bit for the ride home. But yeah, awesome. Being able to tune it on the fly with the CMGS was awesome, it would've been a major pita to pull over after every hill to adjust a manual boost switch until I found a setting I liked.

Ok, next project. Started this one before my trip, didn't get to finish till this week. Damn rain & humidity delayed me as well, but theyre done.

So I bought a piece of 2*3, .250 wall, 16' long, at the scrap steel yard for $50. So I decided to make some steps for the diesel.

Looking at fitment

Deciding where to cut them off at

Cut down

Basic idea

Has to fit around bolt for fender

Both cut, notches to clear fender bolt closed in

Mocking up legs

All welded up

...and bolted to frame

Next up, steps

...and for the finishing touch, 2" grip tape.

I know its not ideal for a rock crawler to have that step hanging down, but this thing only gets wheeled if we need a trailer offroad, so it shouldnt be an issue, and they definitely make it easier for my vertically-challenged wife to get in & out

post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
Those came out real nice.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Looks good Kevin.

Rick
"Left for Dead"
Filly

[email protected] (also on facebook)
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
They came out great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Looks good man

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Bronco Info: 78 bronco
Sharp truck. Those are getting real hard to find in these parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Thanks everybody
Yeah seems most have been designated as plow trucks, which has ruined most of them around here. Getting harder to find a clean one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata View Post
Tell her to work on her "jumping" legs.
That's the problem with living on the side of a mountain, the slope is against you when climbing in the pass side, and its with you for the d.side. So its really easy for me, but actually most of my passengers have issues climbing into it when it is in its parking spot. I just like to bust her chops cuz she's short

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode