What price for used carb? - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_andy_cv64
  • 1 Post By Desert Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
What price for used carb?

I have an Edelbrock 1411 (750 cfm, electric choke, mechanical secondaries) that I removed from my bronco for a holley sniper. It works, needs a rebuild/cleaning, but otherwise functions as it should.

Brand new its a $400 carb give or take a few bucks depending where you go. I'm not trying to get top dollar for it, but don't want to give it away. Is $100 off the mark significantly one way or the other? I'm not sure of the market for these locally. I'd keep it as a spare, but its too much cfm and I have a backup 2bbl with a 4bbl adapter.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT "Babe the Blue Ox"/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
Used, unrebuilt, it's a $150 carb solidly. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

LINK??? Link yourself down to Walmart!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Sounds good to me. Thanks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 All Original, 1978 Bronco XLT Ranger, 2010 F150 SuperCrew FX2
Garage
So you I installed a Sniper EFI? If so how were the results? Did you use the in line pump or in tank? I'm about to order one for 78 in a week or so. Thanks.
BroncMom likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bronco View Post
So you I installed a Sniper EFI? If so how were the results? Did you use the in line pump or in tank? I'm about to order one for 78 in a week or so. Thanks.
It's noisy. If you have a very quiet running Bronco and don't want to hear a lot of clickclacking from the injectors I don't recommend the Sniper. If you already have a lot going on, like a loud exhaust etc, then you probably won't care.

If you're wanting better fuel economy I don't suggest getting a Sniper as you won't keep your foot out of it. lol I legit have no idea what my fuel economy is right now, I've never calculated it, so I have no idea if it's any better. I just know as soon as people put performance parts on their engine they tend to drive things aggressively. It definitely manages the fuel very well though, but with an engine that probably got single digit to low double digit mpg I wasn't expecting much better.

As far as performance, it does really well, great throttle response. I still need to make some adjustments to mine and I don't mean through the handheld, I mean actual physical adjustments. It doesn't start any faster than my carb did and had the carb that came with my Bronco been properly sized for my engine I probably would have just rebuilt it and made some mods for it to perform better off road as I was getting a lot of fuel coming out the vents and flooding the carb at any sort of incline. I haven't had my Bronco off road since installing it, so I can't comment on that aspect yet.

I used Holley's master kit, so it has an inline fuel pump. It's a little on the noisy side as you can hear a low whine if you're standing outside the bronco. I don't know if everyone is getting the same pump and having the same experiences, but when my fuel tank gets very low the pump gets very noisy, as it's fighting to pull fuel from the tank. When I say very low I'm assuming less than 5 gallons left in the tank. The big plus to having an electric fuel pump though is that if my Bronco has sat a very long time the pump will prime for 5 secs before I turn the key all the way, so I don't have to worry about cranking the engine more than once. With my carb I'd have to crank it several times to get it to start if it had sat more than a few days.

If I were to do it all over I would do things slightly different as far as how I installed things, but otherwise I'm happy with it. It's definitely not for everybody. If you have a good running engine and a trouble free fuel system already and just want some added mpg, I'm not sure it's worth it. I had enough things "going wrong" that swayed my decision the way that it did. Another thing with the Sniper is it's good up to 650hp, so if I ever swap a 460 or something else into it that's a bit beefed up, the Sniper will take care of its fueling needs as it currently is. Or if I want to swap it into something else (My F100) I can do that and everything I have used to install it will swap over.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
The vast majority of vehicles with electric pumps have whining. Some are quiet, some are loud, but there just are not any that will run silently. It's like a backpack blower--if it's noisy, at any level, it's efficient. if it's silent, it's grossly inefficient, and you work much harder to do the same job. Having said that, you can dampen the noise, but if you have a no-start all of a sudden, what's the fastest way to know if the pump's working? You guessed it--the whine. So, just don't pay it any attention. As far as MPGs, it's the same way as with a carbed engine: fill the tank, record the odom, drive it normally (resist the temptation to romp on it), and after burning 3/4 to 7/8 tank, fill it, record the odom, do the math. Do it over a few months, you can keep an eye on the average, just in case something goes wrong.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
The vast majority of vehicles with electric pumps have whining. Some are quiet, some are loud, but there just are not any that will run silently. It's like a backpack blower--if it's noisy, at any level, it's efficient. if it's silent, it's grossly inefficient, and you work much harder to do the same job. Having said that, you can dampen the noise, but if you have a no-start all of a sudden, what's the fastest way to know if the pump's working? You guessed it--the whine. So, just don't pay it any attention. As far as MPGs, it's the same way as with a carbed engine: fill the tank, record the odom, drive it normally (resist the temptation to romp on it), and after burning 3/4 to 7/8 tank, fill it, record the odom, do the math. Do it over a few months, you can keep an eye on the average, just in case something goes wrong.
You're assuming the odometer reads correctly, which is why I haven't bothered to calculate it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:11 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Hey...I'm not responsible for odometer correction on it. I know how far off Babe's speedo is, so I can still figure out MPGs. As the underarm deodorant commercial said, "Get off the can, and get on the stick."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode