Good Deal on a Tailgate? Your Call. - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Is $200 a good deal for a complete TG in great shape?
Yup. Run with it. Solid score. *optional high-five* 9 90.00%
Meh... I've seen better deals. It's not like they're made out of gold yet. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Ford Hoarder
 
CrazyBRONCOguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Franklin, Indiana
Posts: 6,019
Bronco Info: See Signature
iTrader: (20)
You looking to get rid of the piece which those letters where cut out of?

Also I like it.
silver70 likes this.


Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
CrazyBRONCOguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Eric
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,346
Bronco Info: '88 BKO XLT, 5.0, AOD, welded 8.8, carbon 4L10, 33's, Lightning headers, Saginaw, 3G
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
You looking to get rid of the piece which those letters where cut out of?

Also I like it.
Thanks much. After I'm done I guess I could stand to part with it. I don't really think I'll ever need it again. I have the CAD file saved so I could just re-burn another one if I ever needed to. I sized the frames to act as "locators" for the lettering so they would all line up and be perfectly spaced right where I wanted them on the tailgate. When this project is done, if you're still interested, just hit me up and we'll figure something out.
silver70 is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)
Nice job. I have a new repop tailgate for sale in Tujunga. $100. I do not want to ship it. I just swapped my rusted gate out and it was a satisfying job. Ping me and I will send you a pic.
silver70 likes this.
mwdaugherty is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Forward Some Money
 
j. r. Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio, heart of
Posts: 4,970
Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
iTrader: (6)
That's a WIN on the purchase.....and a WIN on the non-destructo mods!!
silver70 likes this.

Click HERE to visit my frame-off NOS restoration thread.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
j. r. Nice is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!
 
Handy_andy_cv64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 10,313
Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT "Babe the Blue Ox"/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
iTrader: (2)
Garage
1) For how often you find any tailgate to buy, let alone a complete one, you definitely got your money's worth. 2) The aluminum lettering is fine, but I would've duplicated the '87-'91 basic T/G lettering to make it look closer to factory. Otherwise, I'd cut a 'FORD' lettering panel from an otherwise beaten-up F-series T/G and actually welded it in. Because, on the XLT/Bauer trucks, that's what's under the brushed aluminum trim. If you want, I can shoot a pic of Dad's '90 F150 tailgate, as an example, and it would look more or less factory once you're done. Who else could argue with that?
silver70 likes this.

_____________________________________________

LINK??? Link yourself down to Walmart!
Handy_andy_cv64 is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Eric
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,346
Bronco Info: '88 BKO XLT, 5.0, AOD, welded 8.8, carbon 4L10, 33's, Lightning headers, Saginaw, 3G
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
1) For how often you find any tailgate to buy, let alone a complete one, you definitely got your money's worth. 2) The aluminum lettering is fine, but I would've duplicated the '87-'91 basic T/G lettering to make it look closer to factory. Otherwise, I'd cut a 'FORD' lettering panel from an otherwise beaten-up F-series T/G and actually welded it in. Because, on the XLT/Bauer trucks, that's what's under the brushed aluminum trim. If you want, I can shoot a pic of Dad's '90 F150 tailgate, as an example, and it would look more or less factory once you're done. Who else could argue with that?
That's actually what I was going to do initially. However, after mulling it over a bit I decided I didn't want to cut up factory parts if I didn't have to. I did a lot of "modification" to my Maverick street car when I was younger and am now redoing lots of stuff because my tastes have changed. It's getting really hard to find some of those parts now. Also, others have already done the tailgate splice, but I haven't seen anyone with this particular mod yet. Granted, the lettering is a bit more of a "modern" design/font, but I think it'll go well with all the stuff I'm planning for the near future.

We're getting kicked out of our shop for an extended 4-day weekend. I hope to knock out some of the body work and prep on the TG in that time.
silver70 is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 AM
Registered User
 
Doosenberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Southern Idaho
Posts: 740
Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Would those be able to be 3D printed? Someone with a 3D printer could pop a few of those out in "plastic" and paint them various colors for customers... or friends.
silver70 likes this.


77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Doosenberry is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Registered User
 
birch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 192
Bronco Info: 87 408w long travel king shocks deaver springs, cut and turned DRe 96 front end trailer glass,+++
iTrader: (0)
I too am shopping for a replacement. Used ones are hard to find and old and warn by age. Does anybody know others that have installed just a smooth metal outside on them ? OR A place that sells tailgates that are new remanufactured shells like that or ones that are complete with new windows and hardware? Mine has rust on the bottom and does not work well. I need it painted for insurance that will cover its worth over stock so bedsides check, but tailgate on it is not easy. How much labor and how hard is the window and mechanical replacement ? I have changed motors and fixed a few issues but not the window guides etc.. I am unsure of what way to go. I am not using the factory spare swing mount with 35's. Building my new bumper with that. I am in South Commiefornia if it matters for location. Thanks for any info. Very nice job on that tailgate and custom can be nice and extra when you did it yourself IMO.
silver70 likes this.

Its my Constitutional right
birch is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Eric
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,346
Bronco Info: '88 BKO XLT, 5.0, AOD, welded 8.8, carbon 4L10, 33's, Lightning headers, Saginaw, 3G
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
Would those be able to be 3D printed? Someone with a 3D printer could pop a few of those out in "plastic" and paint them various colors for customers... or friends.
I believe it could be 3D printed. It would have to be altered in CAD to have a Z axis value (thickness), but I don't see why it couldn't be done. That person could also make the lettering whatever kind of font somebody wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch View Post
I too am shopping for a replacement. Used ones are hard to find and old and warn by age. Does anybody know others that have installed just a smooth metal outside on them ? OR A place that sells tailgates that are new remanufactured shells like that or ones that are complete with new windows and hardware? Mine has rust on the bottom and does not work well. I need it painted for insurance that will cover its worth over stock so bedsides check, but tailgate on it is not easy. How much labor and how hard is the window and mechanical replacement ? I have changed motors and fixed a few issues but not the window guides etc.. I am unsure of what way to go. I am not using the factory spare swing mount with 35's. Building my new bumper with that. I am in South Commiefornia if it matters for location. Thanks for any info. Very nice job on that tailgate and custom can be nice and extra when you did it yourself IMO.
If you take the aluminum trim panel off, the BKO tailgate has a smooth underside to it. You'd just have to fill the mounting holes for the trim panel that are left over. There are also several aftermarket ones available, but I believe you have to install all the window/regulator/latch internals and hardware yourself. There are writeups in the forum on how to do this and I believe there's also a YouTube video out there. Good luck with your project and thanks for the compliment.
silver70 is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Registered User
 
mckenziedg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 54
Bronco Info: 83 Bronco 302/C6, 3.55 Posi F&R
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Great deal on the tailgate and I think the lettering looks unique!

1983 Bronco 302 paired with a C6; 3.55 gears limited slip front and rear
mckenziedg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear window lift motor Anemic_AL Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone! 6 11-02-2018 07:52 PM
1996 EB restoration seanmclaughlin West Coast Chapter 2 06-30-2018 05:04 PM
Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) El Kabong Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone! 16 06-05-2017 03:23 AM
Common Replies to FAQs El Kabong Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone! 32 06-17-2016 08:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome