Help! smoking badly! - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Help! smoking badly!

well it isnt a bronco but it has a 4 stroke ice so i figured symptoms are the same. ill give the whole story. i have a 2006 350 honda rancher. for the longest time we were only riding it at the mud bog. well one day we went out trail riding on a hot day with some neigbors. when we got home it sat for a long time. when we started it back up it was smoking really badly. we ran it one more time at the mud bog before deciding to do the top end. we took down the top end and had our friend look at the cylender. part of the cylender wall was "scortched", it had a burn mark, was completely smooth and had oil leaking past. he said it was from overheating. must have been right cause shortly thereafter while washing it down (it hadnt been run yet) i discoverd the radiator completely caked over with mud. we replaced the rings and head gasket and had the cylender honed. when we fired it up it smoked until the excess oil burned off the inside of the muffler. after that it would occasionally puff some white smoke. well its slowly gotten worse. its a year later now. it was stored for a while and lately it wouldnt idle so i tore apart the carb and it had a buch of dirtlike crap stuck in the bottom of it. i cleaned it and put it back on and it runs now, although it runs like crap cause i dont have a tach to adjust the pilot jet yet. i recently had put some seafoam in it too. well now its smoking just as bad as when it first started smoking.i think the seafoam may have loosend the carbon and scratched the cylender wall. we will be doing the top end again but i want to do it so that it will not smoke at ALL afterwards. im thinking i should have the cylender bored out and larger rings installed. where would i get these? aslo what would symptoms of leaking valve seals be? i looked in the intake side when i had the carb off and the intake valve is covered in this nasty gunk. i also plan to lap the valves while i have the head off. is it possible that a warped cylender would cause this?

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 AM
U jelly of my

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351W
Garage
When my uncle overheated his 400 rancher AT, they had to bore the engine out and fit a larger piston in... the engine got so hot the head actually warped....

I'd strip the thing down and clean it... Sounds to me the deeper you keep digging the more gunk you keep finding

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer (Sleeping)
>>>super slow build thread<<<

2003 & 2004 Mercury Marauder 2000 BMW M5 2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
When my uncle overheated his 400 rancher AT, they had to bore the engine out and fit a larger piston in... the engine got so hot the head actually warped....

I'd strip the thing down and clean it... Sounds to me the deeper you keep digging the more gunk you keep finding
the piston had a ton of solidified gunk the first time around. so you think it will need a bigger piston or can i just do bigger rings (whats the right way to do it?)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 AM
U jelly of my

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351W
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
the piston had a ton of solidified gunk the first time around. so you think it will need a bigger piston or can i just do bigger rings (whats the right way to do it?)
depends on how bad the cylinder walls are....

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer (Sleeping)
>>>super slow build thread<<<

2003 & 2004 Mercury Marauder 2000 BMW M5 2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 AM

Bronco Info: 95 EB 351
Sounds like a combo of overheat and ingesting some crap through the intake. I am no fan of additives either. I've seen some do serious harm, and haven't seen any give a real benefit.

Check out the forums on www.atvriders.com, too.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

well the carb definately ingested crap, i think its due to a lack of a fuel filter. it hasnt overheasted since then, it just has slowly gotten worse over time. i will i know what size to bore it out to?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Nvr Been Bnnd

Bronco Info: 91 bronco 5.8 e40d
The best bet would be to take it to a machine shop to mic the cylinder and they will tell you hhow much theyll have to take out. if its not a chrome sleeve.. if so then a new jug or replacement sleeve is in order. and after that work is done theyll measure it to order the right size piston and ring. hope that helps.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

anyone know what the symptoms of a bad valve guide are?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode