Ten years late, but gettin' 'er done finally - Ford Bronco Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

Bronco Info: '94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
Ten years late, but gettin' 'er done finally

I'm finally at a spot in my life where I have less time at home then I've ever had, but more importantly more money then I've ever had by flying around the world full time. Ya'll can see that thread over @ http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207827

Anyway, over 10 or so years ago my dad picked up our '66 F-250, and about six years ago he dropped it off at a guy's house who did bodywork on the side. Five and half years ago was my dad's fatal heart attack, and with me away all the time in the Air Force, I never had the time to get up there and see what was going on with the truck. Finally talking with my mom who had been still paying registration and insurance all this time, I got the guys number because enough was enough, I'd like this truck done.

Called 'em up, and he said, "Well, I'm not quite done with it..." No, you are done, whats your cash money bill so far, as I'll be up with my trailer on Saturday to pick it up. "Oh, well... I have some bad news. You don't owe anything. My shop had a fire..." (Oh **** I'm thinkin' this thing burnt to the ground) "Some of the parts were inside, so it's gonna cost ya to find replacements" Ok, fair enough.

Headed up there to Highspire PA with a friend of mine to help load and survey the damage. Guys shop did burn to the ground, but the truck was far enough away to not damage it. Only things lost were most of the trim, battery, two tailgates (dad must have found a second better one, as I never knew about that), and ignition switch. He did have the cab mostly painted, fender rot fixed, cab corners replaced, bed floor patched, new hood primed and painted, and new doors installed, so really I just have to get it all sanded and finish coated after I swap the hoods. Not sure what that will cost me yet, but starting to look around now.

Borrowed the second easier to get to battery out of my 6.4L stroker, and after sitting most of the time, fired up and idled. Accelerator pump was clogged, but did have just enough to make it onto my trailer without the winch.

Enlisting the help of some older school knowledge, got my accelerator pump squirtin' again. The soft fuel line to the fuel pump was original Ford, and fresh gas turned it to mush with a quickness. Swapped that out, added a lawnmower style prefilter, so I can keep an eye on things. This was in the filter bowl, so I'm thinking my tank is rusting from the inside out. Might get one of those combo toolbox tank units after painted and bedlined.

So other than needing paint, bedliner, and a new set of trim, I'm in pretty good shape. New radiator and hoses are on order, and excited to start runnin' around in it. After it looks pretty, then I gotta make some changes. Maybe I'm spoiled daily driving a 500 horse tune, and 740 available if I want to play on my stroker, but this thing is sloooooowwwwwwwww. Who has a list of things to do to wake up a 352FE?

Adrianspeeder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 03:23 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT "Babe the Blue Ox"/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
Oh, God, I was getting that lump in my throat that is the total loss, but totally relieved the truck's unharmed. In addition to the gas tank, you may want to replace the fuel pump, as the diaphragm is likely as old as the hose, and you don't want gas in the oil.

LINK??? Link yourself down to Walmart!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
Glad most of it is ok.

Check your throttle linkage first. I've seen some Ford trucks around that vintage where the throttle doesn't open all the way.

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

Doh!, good point. Didn't even think of that.

Also as I was headin' for bed last night I remembered I've got a 360 I saved from a running F-250 I scrapped. First world truck hoarding problems...

Might tear that one down now to see if it's good to be sent off, then I'll put that one back together fresh while puttering around with the 352.

Adrianspeeder

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Charlie don't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
sounds like a cool project. so is this going to be a build thread??

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:20 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
That is so Cool, Adrian... I would def. make it a build thread ...

Thanks,
Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
You know, if you don't go for a point-condenser setup (I'm a mechanic so you can just guess how I feel about them), mid-70s FE engines had Duraspark 1 or 2 (can't remember which) and, of course, you can pop on an aftermarket intake and carb with a mild cam to wake it up. First World truck problems indeed!

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: F100,460, 1tons, 203/205 doubler, sitting on 42" pitbull rockers.
Subscribed

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 AM
OMF

Bronco Info: 1979/1972 "Hybrid Hilda"
Garage
The 352 is a torque monster but not much on the HP side even with a cam.

Dave
Vote for me FOTM!

1979/1972 "Hybrid Hilda"
Built 400, NP435/Strongbox Doubler/NP205
2007 Superduty Axles, Chomo'd, Superjoints, and Locked
110" WB, Body narrowed 6" and armored up!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

Little bit irritated at rock auto, but it is what it is. First radiator I ordered was probably my fault, but I didn't see an AC non AC option. Either way the trucks that came with AC must have shared the radiator with an F-700. Huge mammer jammer, beautifully soldered brass and copper unit. Had to send it back for not being close at all though. Second try the guy assured me it was an all metal tank unit, even though it was a lot cheaper. Course when I pick that box up it is instantly felt to be an aluminum unit with plastic tanks. Grrrrrrrrr......

Crappy part is I messed up by pulling the old falling apart factory radiator before I had opened the first box. Thought about sending this second one back, but just hit with the notice of my forth deployment next week, so gotta get this thing mobile to get insured, tagged, and put in storage.

Then my day gets more irritated when putting this stupid plastic thing in. Both brackets are flipped so the flanges are not on the right sides, but was able to unbolt everything and flip to the right direction. Almost. Now there is no room at the top of the core support for the wiring to run across. Grrrrrrrrr......

So as much as it pains me to hack job it, used longer bolts and nuts as spacers.

Home free? Nope. Top hose outlet on this stupid plastic tank is 1 3/4" wide, not 2" like the hoses I have, or like any book says it should be.

Napa's closed and the sun is going down, but the dude at autozone actually wasn't a waste of space and looked all the racks to see if there was a hose 90ish degrees with 2" on one end and 1 3/4" on the other. Not that lucky of course, but came up with a temporary plan of paid 15 bucks for a random Toyota hose to cut a little bit of the 1 3/4" off to cheat on the radiator and clamp the ballbag off the 2" hose I had over that.

Filled up, pressurized, bumbled around the farm a little bit, and I'll take it to the gas station tomorrow before putting in storage until the unknown time when I get back from fun in the sand and sun.

Adrianspeeder

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Actually, that rad isn't backward...it turns out that the non-A/C rads are set into the core support. One of the last rigs I worked on at work (when I actually felt wanted) needed a replacement radiator...'76 F250 360/manual, no A/C, and the original rad was set into the core support (I salvaged it, so it sits at the shop with some of my other stuff).

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

Hmm, well then the height of it wouldn't let go any more forward. The gap I made with the nuts just gives a clearance of 1/4" for the wiring to go across.

Adrianspeeder

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

Tonight's project was to order new rims, but I'm havin' trouble locating 16" white steel wagon wheels.

Adrianspeeder

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Replace ALL of the fuel system with stuff that can tolerate ethanol. It'll destroy rubber hose, rubber diaphragms & gaskets in the carb, and in the pump. Ethanol will also cause the valves to stick, so until you can rebuild the heads with modern guides, keep something in the gas to lube the top end (lead substitute, MMO, etc.). Fuel stabilizer will help slightly, but only on the gas IN the tank.

If you can find ethanol-free gas, that'll do for a while, but don't expect it to be available forever, or everywhere you might drive.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

New pump is on order.

Before parkin' in the barn with the other stored trucks, got the hood swapped.

Ruined trim and the two tailgates. I don't know if they can be cleaned up and painted. Still trying to find a good paint shop in the area that wants to do it. Been turned down by two now that were recommended.

Adrianspeeder

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Two shops TURNED DOWN doing the tailgates? I'm floored! No auto shop turns anything down, especially if there's no time constraint on the shop. It's what they use to fill in slack times. And it's triply bad when they're recommended shops. If there's a Voc/Tech near you, and they have a body shop program, they might do outside projects. The deal is that you only pay for the materials (even if it takes two or more tries to 'get it right') and the students get something legitimate to practice on. Something to think about.

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
USAF C-17 Maintenance

The first shop didn't want to do a whole truck because, "I'm not painting trucks anymore, I'd like to start selling cars. Go see the body shop on route 8 past..." I went there, and that guy looked at the truck for a minute and said, "Naa, sorry. Macco can do it."

Didn't think of the DelTech, I'll have to check them out after I'm back.

Adrianspeeder

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Stick with it speeder, its worth it.

Rick
"Left for Dead"
Filly

[email protected] (also on facebook)
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
The first shop, OK, he's changing his business, but the second guy? I'd like to stuff him into one of Earl Scheib's 55-gallon paint drums. Hopefully the Voc/Tech can come through for you. This would give you the chance to really do it right and make it a tribute to your father.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco, Eddie Bauer... 302, auto everything, Eaton Posi in the rear.
That's a beautiful truck. Can't wait to see it cleaned up. Hopefully one day I'll have the time to do this to my Grandpa's 68.

1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer, 302ci -- (too new for a name)
1968 Ford F250, 360ci FE -- Ol' Bessie
1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1.6L 4AC -- Sancha

I love my Ford trucks, but still like to play with Toys. ^__^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode