Scotch recommendations - Ford Bronco Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Scotch recommendations

Anyone have a recommendation on a single malt scotch? I'm not really a drinker (don't like beer, etc.), but for whatever reason, I decided to give scotch a try this last year and have given three a shot so far. Ended up enjoying two of them while the third was like drinking liquid smoke, it was rough. Anything out there that is a must try?

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 E4OD auto xfer/hubs
Glenlivet 21 year old is very smooth. They have several to choose from even a 50 year ole.
Doosenberry and richie1232 like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Cool. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I haven't had anything from Glenlivet yet. I've tried Balvenie, Macallan, and Johnnie Walker so far.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM

I really like Macallan
Doosenberry likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
18yr old glenfiddich
Doosenberry likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:09 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/33" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
I've had Monkey Shoulder recently.. very smooth and tasty.. it's a blended scotch though.
Doosenberry likes this.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by makersneat View Post
I've had Monkey Shoulder recently.. very smooth and tasty.. it's a blended scotch though.
Sounds interesting. I'll be picking something up this weekend to sample in-between bouts with the bronco. I wish we had more selection here locally. I have a feeling something like that one might not be on the shelf of our liquor stores. Otherwise I'll have to order something online another time.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Rebuilt 5.0 Free Wheeling Package
Garage
Middleton Very Rare ..... should make popsicles out of the stuff!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk
Doosenberry likes this.

1984 Full Size Ford Bronco w rebuilt 302 and Auto w/OD
Lotsa Rust - Lotsa Noise - Lotsa fabricating
Project Alpha Bronco
F.O.T.M Nominee for July - Get Out the Vote
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk8 View Post
Middleton Very Rare ..... should make popsicles out of the stuff!
Look at this guy, recommending Irish Whisky. lol I'm sure it's really good, though. When I google it everything shows around $200 a bottle.

I couldn't justify spending $120 on the bottle of Glenlivet that I was interested in trying, because I'm not living a baller life, so I picked this up for 1/4 that price. For what its worth, the Macallan Double Cask 12 year that I tried was reeeeally good and it was about the same price when I got it. I'll let @makersneat know if I think it's "very smooth and tasty".

johnnyk8 likes this.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
What are the that you tried and which is the one you didn't like?

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
1981 Bronco Custom (R.I.P.)
Supermotors Pics
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
What are the that you tried and which is the one you didn't like?
I tried The Balvenie Double Wood 12 year single malt, which was pretty good.

I tried The Macallan Double Cask 12 year single malt, which was the best out of the one's I've tried so far.

And then I tried Johnnie Walker Black label 12 year blended scotch and that was the one that I absolutely did not like, but I'm not one to waste, so I eventually finished it. It was one of those things where you don't know how good things are until you've had something bad and when I say bad, I mean something that tastes bad to me. I'm sure the $200 a bottle Blue label is great.

What's funny is that was the first one I tried, simply because I could find a bottle that was small enough and inexpensive enough to try out and wasn't the complete bottom of the barrel, so to speak. I'd never had scotch before and I don't go to bars, so I was interested in finding something that wasn't gonna be 50 bucks and then sit on the shelf for a year because I didn't like it. It was very smokey, like taking a piece of charcoal out after you grilled some burgers and then sucking on it like you were warming up the reed for your alto sax. No thanks, baybay. I'm glad I gave something else a shot though, because the other two were much better. You get what you pay for I guess, as cliche as that is. I went from a small $20 bottle of Johnnie Walker to like.. a $50 - $60 bottle of Balvenie and it was night and day.

I really enjoyed the other two (Macallan/Balvenie). I have what I consider a poor sense of smell, mostly due to my deviated septum, so I really enjoy the nose from Scotch. When I poured some of the Macallan into my Glencairn whiskey glass and managed to get a wiff of honey out of it I was super excited. My wife thinks I'm weird when I stand there with it swirling it around and then shove my nose into that little glass. lol. I'm obviously new to the whole whiskey thing, especially Scotch whiskey, but I really enjoy a little glass here and there.

Speaking of that, I tried the Monkey Shoulder. Out of what I've tasted so far, as far as the different scotches, I'd place this one somewhere around the Balvenie as far as how much I like it. The Macallan is still my favorite so far, but for $32 the Monkey Shoulder is pretty dang good.
makersneat likes this.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
That's why I was curious. That smokey flavor that the Johnnie Walker black has is definitely an acquired taste that some really don't like. Didn't want to suggest smokey scotches if you didn't like them. (I didn't like them at first, but they're my preference now.)

It's not a "single malt", but for a nice, affordable scotch, I like The Famous Grouse.
Doosenberry likes this.

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
Supermotors Pics
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Rebuilt 5.0 Free Wheeling Package
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
Look at this guy, recommending Irish Whisky. lol I'm sure it's really good, though. When I google it everything shows around $200 a bottle.

I couldn't justify spending $120 on the bottle of Glenlivet that I was interested in trying, because I'm not living a baller life, so I picked this up for 1/4 that price. For what its worth, the Macallan Double Cask 12 year that I tried was reeeeally good and it was about the same price when I got it. I'll let @makersneat know if I think it's "very smooth and tasty".

Lol!!!!! Yeah I work for an Irish company so when I fly to the headquarters that's a treat waiting for us in the hotel when we arrive.

I'm my home office there's a little liquor store in Wisconsin than keeps a few crates of it for our executives. He sells it to us for $120!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

1984 Full Size Ford Bronco w rebuilt 302 and Auto w/OD
Lotsa Rust - Lotsa Noise - Lotsa fabricating
Project Alpha Bronco
F.O.T.M Nominee for July - Get Out the Vote
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
That's why I was curious. That smokey flavor that the Johnnie Walker black has is definitely an acquired taste that some really don't like. Didn't want to suggest smokey scotches if you didn't like them. (I didn't like them at first, but they're my preference now.)

It's not a "single malt", but for a nice, affordable scotch, I like The Famous Grouse.
Well the only reason I asked for single malts is that's what I've had so far that had a taste I liked, so I figured lets keep going down that road. I still want to try some of the other stuff that's been recommended in this thread, but they'll have to fight it out with my Bronco parts budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk8 View Post
Lol!!!!! Yeah I work for an Irish company so when I fly to the headquarters that's a treat waiting for us in the hotel when we arrive.

I'm my home office there's a little liquor store in Wisconsin than keeps a few crates of it for our executives. He sells it to us for $120!
That's quite a discount! That'd be tempting to try out at that price.

The only thing I have waiting for me at work is free yogurt. It's not as exciting as a bottle of whiskey! It's not even good enough to sell to the public, that's why it's free.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:53 PM

12 or 18 year Macallan
12 or 18 year Glenmorangie

I like both but Macallan is top of my list.
Doosenberry likes this.

1996 Bronco XL, 5.8L w/ shorty headers, larger exhaust, E4OD, 3.55 gears, 8.8 (Ford's wannabe GM rear axle), Dana 44, 31x10.5R15, 4-inch Rancho lift.
1997 Ford F-250HD, 7.3L Powerstroke diesel chipped, exhausted, Banks intercooler, RiffRaff Turbo, HPX mod, RiffRaff ceramic up-pipes, E4OD w/ punisher valve body, D50 front axle, 10.25 sterling rear axle with 4.10 gears
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:58 PM
Big Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heihachi1337 View Post
12 or 18 year Macallan
12 or 18 year Glenmorangie

I like both but Macallan is top of my list.

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

Supermotors Pics
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey hey. I just finished a bottle, months later. I only have the Monkey Shoulder currently. Might have to snag a second bottle, so I can always have a choice. Like I said, I'm not much of a drinker. This stuff lasts me forever it seems.

The good ol' Idaho State Liquor Store never seems to have much variety, though.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on a single malt scotch? I'm not really a drinker (don't like beer, etc.), but for whatever reason, I decided to give scotch a try this last year and have given three a shot so far. Ended up enjoying two of them while the third was like drinking liquid smoke, it was rough. Anything out there that is a must try?
For someone who is not a drinker and then decided to give Scotch a try is quite a feat. Scotch is really as they say "an acquired taste", in other words; when most people start, not try, drinking Scotch, they do not enjoy it at all. They usually have to try and muster through several different Scotch's and slowly build a foundation for it's appreciation. They say it will get better as you get more familiar with it.

Personally, I just can't seem to get it to work for me. I received a bottle of Johnny Walker Platinum and Johnny Walker Blue for Christmas a few years back. ( people knew I liked Whisky and figured Scotch Whisky was the same) My wife was a long time bartender at a few high end restaurants told me "that's really expensive and you're really going to enjoy that". She said the Blue was better, so I figured I'd start with the Platinum bottle, hey if it's that good, I might not want to go backwards after I drank the Blue. All I can say is, it's not for me. I mustered my way through both bottles only because I couldn't see wasting them. I have friends that drink Glenlivet and some of the other finer Scotchs and had me try them, but I just can't get it to click.

Till this day, if I go out to a party and I know we are going to be there for several hours and I want to drink but not get drunk; I'll have a Scotch on the rocks because it will last me all night.

Now, Bourbon on the other hand.....
Weber likes this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Blegh! Booze doesn't like me and I dont like booze. Cant stand the taste of really any of it, especially whiskey. When I drink, its Budweiser in a bottle.

Of course in high school (errr you didnt read that) I could walk around swigging out of a bottle of jack or captain. Now it makes me wanna puke. I prefer to get my kicks like Pepe does.
cobrajoe likes this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
For someone who is not a drinker and then decided to give Scotch a try is quite a feat. Scotch is really as they say "an acquired taste", in other words; when most people start, not try, drinking Scotch, they do not enjoy it at all. They usually have to try and muster through several different Scotch's and slowly build a foundation for it's appreciation. They say it will get better as you get more familiar with it.

Personally, I just can't seem to get it to work for me. I received a bottle of Johnny Walker Platinum and Johnny Walker Blue for Christmas a few years back. ( people knew I liked Whisky and figured Scotch Whisky was the same) My wife was a long time bartender at a few high end restaurants told me "that's really expensive and you're really going to enjoy that". She said the Blue was better, so I figured I'd start with the Platinum bottle, hey if it's that good, I might not want to go backwards after I drank the Blue. All I can say is, it's not for me. I mustered my way through both bottles only because I couldn't see wasting them. I have friends that drink Glenlivet and some of the other finer Scotchs and had me try them, but I just can't get it to click.

Till this day, if I go out to a party and I know we are going to be there for several hours and I want to drink but not get drunk; I'll have a Scotch on the rocks because it will last me all night.

Now, Bourbon on the other hand.....
Yeah, it's definitely different than what I've previously tried. I've been told beer is also an acquired taste and I think every beer I've tasted (not many) is crap, so it's not going to be acquired by me.

I like pleasant tasting drinks, which is why most of what I've tried is stuff that gets mixed. Bailey's comes to mind. Yum. I also find some Tequilas to be pretty decent.

I thought I'd try something different and pour an ounce or two of Scotch into a Glencairn whiskey glass and pretend like I was someone important.

I think I mentioned it somewhere earlier in this thread that I think the biggest appeal of the scotch, for me, is the scent of it. I enjoy that aspect of it.
cobrajoe likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode