• 2 Post By Doosenberry
  • 1 Post By CrazyBRONCOguy
  • 1 Post By BigBlue 94
  • 3 Post By Doosenberry
  • 1 Post By dash_cam
  • 1 Post By Doosenberry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Estate sale info

Hey guys! So I was browsing FB a few minutes ago and noticed an estate sale was listed for this weekend. The pics displayed show a house like 2 blocks from me and there's a mid 70's ford truck much like the ones I already own. I doubt the thing has moved in forever as it looks that way and, as far as I know, estate sales come along when someone dies.

Is this type of sale like an auction? Or is it more like a yard sale type of setup where you just make an offer and if they take it they take it? I've never been to an estate sale, but as you can tell, I'm a sucker for dentsides. I pass this truck often when I walk my dogs and it looks pretty decent at a distance.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:52 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT "Babe the Blue Ox"/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
Pretty straight on this side of it. Estate sales will be dependent on what the family wants to do. One thing's for sure--if it is done as a set sale, versus an auction, grab cash, have someone standing by off-site with it, and go to the sale, first thing when it opens. Make your pitch, do any negotiations, and if they're at or under your cash amount, have the other person bring the cash, and you buy it. Tow it off-property and get it moved to yours, then hustle to the licensing agency, get it put in your name ASAP.

LINK??? Link yourself down to Walmart!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
Pretty straight on this side of it. Estate sales will be dependent on what the family wants to do. One thing's for sure--if it is done as a set sale, versus an auction, grab cash, have someone standing by off-site with it, and go to the sale, first thing when it opens. Make your pitch, do any negotiations, and if they're at or under your cash amount, have the other person bring the cash, and you buy it. Tow it off-property and get it moved to yours, then hustle to the licensing agency, get it put in your name ASAP.
Yeah, I know. Every time I'd walk by it I would note to myself how it'd be a nice truck to have. Not that I need it. It looks unmolested, but of course we can't see the other side and I wasn't about to jump the fence the last time I ever went down that street. Just wish it had a rear contour bumper so I could put it on my truck.

Why would I need someone off-site with the cash? I mean rather than have it on me at the time?

Heck, I'd push it home if I had to. I'm talkin' like 300 feet from my house. I'll just hook up the dogs to the front bumper and mush it home. Yaw! *whip noises*

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Most estate sales are "fixed price" like a garage sale. Most estate sales are half off the second day.

Cash talks. You are dealing with the estate sale company, not the owners usually. If they want too much for the truck, give em your info and a price you're willing to pay. If no one buys the truck, they may call you. Their job is to sell as much as they can and get as much as possible for it.

Look around inside the garage/house too. Many times theres spare parts and tools worth buying.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Most estate sales are "fixed price" like a garage sale. Most estate sales are half off the second day.

Cash talks. You are dealing with the estate sale company, not the owners usually. If they want too much for the truck, give em your info and a price you're willing to pay. If no one buys the truck, they may call you. Their job is to sell as much as they can and get as much as possible for it.

Look around inside the garage/house too. Many times theres spare parts and tools worth buying.
That's good to know. I'll definitely keep an eye out when I take a look at it. It's supposed to start on Friday at 2pm.

I'm not sure on the popularity of these trucks in my area. I know I like them and I know some people that own them seem to think they're worth a lot in very rough shape. I drove by it this morning after I dropped my kids off for their last day of school (yay). It's a '77 F150 LWB 2wd. Not the most sought after, but it seems pretty straight. It has what I believe is the "visibility" package, so it has extra lighting on it like the two yellow lights that are attached to the top of the bumper. I'm not sure what my endgame is with this truck, but if I got it cheap enough and got it running (it has plates that are at least 20 years old) and the rest of the the truck looks like the passenger side I might try to flip it. I bet that brown paint would buff to a nice shine.

I've already worked out a scenario as to why that truck is there. Call me a weirdo, but it's how my mind works. I figure since it's a deceased person's truck and everything at that little old house is super old lookin' that the owner was very old at their passing rather than it being a sudden death to a middle aged person or something. The truck has a logo on the side of it for some business, one I don't recognize, so maybe it was a small business. I figure the guy retired, parked his work truck in the backyard and it's been sitting ever since. It still has the old whitewalls and it's sitting on a concrete slab with flat tires. Case closed, Johnson.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
You never know what the ol man was into. I've scored some really nice stuff at estate sales for fractions of the cost, and it's all OLD AMERICAN IRON!

Things like hand tools, taps and dies, drill bits, tool boxes, oil cans, etc etc. I have about 250 taps from estate sales and have about 75 bucks in them. Some of the taps cost that new. I got the pair of pliers I carry every day at one. They are right at 100 years old. Scored a set of wooden Gerstner tool chests at one for about 15% of the new retail cost.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I never even thought about the other stuff that's probably there. I wonder what's in that red shed behind the truck...

On the other hand it's weird to think about a dead man's stuff. My grandpa died a few years back at I think 93 years old. My mom and her sisters obviously had to deal with all of his belongings. A lot of it went to goodwill. Some of the more sentimental stuff went to kids and grand kids and whatnot. He liked to whittle a lot and do wood working. I got his little set of blades he used for whittling, though I'm not really into that stuff, but it'd feel weird knowing stuff that was his passion is either in the dump or in a non-relative's hands.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
I never even thought about the other stuff that's probably there. I wonder what's in that red shed behind the truck...

On the other hand it's weird to think about a dead man's stuff. My grandpa died a few years back at I think 93 years old. My mom and her sisters obviously had to deal with all of his belongings. A lot of it went to goodwill. Some of the more sentimental stuff went to kids and grand kids and whatnot. He liked to whittle a lot and do wood working. I got his little set of blades he used for whittling, though I'm not really into that stuff, but it'd feel weird knowing stuff that was his passion is either in the dump or in a non-relative's hands.
Think about it this way. None of the old man's tools and stuff were wanted by his next of kin. Now, consider myself, who likes to use old tools because of their quality. Would you want your tools sitting in your grandsons attic, or in the hands of someone who will appreciate and use them? It feels good to use a tool that has the "history" of working on stuff for 50 years. You can almost feel the knowledge that the previous owner put into it.

The last estate sale I went to was a goldmine of 50s Ford parts. NOS trim, carbs, oil filters, bulbs, trim clips, books etc etc. Most still in original packaging. Even a couple 50s specific tools from snap-on.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
like blue said, the estate sales are usually run by a 3rd party. they do estate sales as their business and are generally more expensive than a regular garage sale. however, they do lower the prices each day. the estate sale company will buy the estate from the family. then the estate sale company sells everything on-site.

however, on the vehicle, it's probably worth taking a shot at an offer. worst they can do is say no.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, either way I'm gonna give it a shot. I get off at 6:30am tomorrow and the sale starts at 2pm, so I'll grab some cash from the bank and mosey on over and hope no one else likes old fords.

Wouldn't it suck if they could do more than say no? Like give ya a shot in the crotch if you low ball 'em?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Also usually estate companies want to sell everything, and not leave much that has value. I've found if you go the last day, near closing time they will almost take any reasonable offer! I say its worth a shot!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT "Babe the Blue Ox"/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
You keep the money off-site to resist the temptation to make a too-quick buy. Hopefully by now, you've gone to the sale, talked turkey with whomever's in charge, and your deal's done. I'll cross my fingers and rub my good luck charms so you can have good luck.

LINK??? Link yourself down to Walmart!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
You keep the money off-site to resist the temptation to make a too-quick buy. Hopefully by now, you've gone to the sale, talked turkey with whomever's in charge, and your deal's done. I'll cross my fingers and rub my good luck charms so you can have good luck.
I guess that's a good point. I don't think I'll have anyone to keep me from doing that though. My family is sick at home. Maybe I can just strap the cash to the inside of my leg, that way if I want to take it out I gotta drop my drawers which isn't gonna happen in public.
BigBlue 94 and trustyrusty like this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Quote:
Would you want your tools sitting in your grandsons attic, or in the hands of someone who will appreciate and use them? It feels good to use a tool that has the "history" of working on stuff for 50 years. You can almost feel the knowledge that the previous owner put into it.
This is completely the truth. I have my great grand fathers tools, the things that especially feel like that are those tools which are modified or made. He was an assembly line maintenance guy at Dana, a lot of his "custom" tools are especially handy, I have used them many times and its funny as they work like they were exactly for what I am doing.
Example he made a shorty, thin profile end wrench, then milled a square drive spot into the handle. This works perfect for 302 thermostat bolts, you know the hard to get to one behind the timing cover. Its longer then most dogbones I have seen, that you can purchase.

I also second that the tap and die sets that are all american tool steel and are older are a great bargain at these sales. I would not have the set I do if I would have had to pay full price. I have also yet to break any of them which I have gotten from an estate sale.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Yup, I've even found machinists tools and endmills and shell cutters at them for pennies on the dollar. I'm talking $200 cutters for like $5.

I lost all of my dads, grandpas, etc tools in a fire. Some of these make up for it, kinda.

These are the pliers I carry every day. About 100 years old and still working like new.

trustyrusty likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I stopped by at 2pm which was about an hour ago. I had to pass on it. The guy that was runnin' the show, which was the deceased's son, wanted 3k for it and that's way more than I'm willing to pay.

The driver's side looks about as good as the passenger's side. There was a small amount of damage on either side, but seemed like no rust. The plates were last registered in 1998. Everything under the hood and in the cab was covered in 20+ years of dirt and dust. The warranty tag said it has a C6, but it had a 4 speed in it. The column was an automatic column with the shifter gone and a clamp holding the shift collar in place so it wouldn't flop around.

The guy said his dad was a master mechanic and put a 429 in it and blah blah blah (I've heard that stuff before), but it has a 335 engine in it (400), which matches the vin. It also has dealer installed A/C as the controls for it are part of the center dash vent, not that that is really a plus or minus. At least I know what I'm lookin' at. I'd hate to be someone who knew nothing about these and think I was getting something I'm not. 3k seems like a lot for something that doesn't run. The guy said it would fire right up, but the fact that absolutely nothing has been touched in 20 years and it's covered in mouse turds and old wasp nests suggests otherwise.

If it was a 4x4 and had been at least used sparingly over the last 20 years then maybe. I guess I'm just cheap. I dunno. I did glance around at other things there real quick, but it was a very cluttered mess and nothing really jumped at me. I don't think this is like the estate sales you guys might be used to. It was exactly what I thought it might be, a glorified yard sale.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:19 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Well, it's all about the price. Leave your info and maybe he calls in a few weeks.

Guy sounds full of bs if what you're saying is accurate, anyway.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Yeah, that was a garage sale, branded as estate lol.

I've got a 78 ranger 4x4 351m, np435, np205 and a factory LS 9" rear under 3/4 ton leaves. It ran, about 15 years ago. Now the axles are rusted solid and it's a mouse house. I'd never dream of asking 3k for it. Of course its rusty and had a tree fall on it.

Lol, that's not patina, its Lichens. Guess they dont like the door?

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, that was a garage sale, branded as estate lol.

I've got a 78 ranger 4x4 351m, np435, np205 and a factory LS 9" rear under 3/4 ton leaves. It ran, about 15 years ago. Now the axles are rusted solid and it's a mouse house. I'd never dream of asking 3k for it. Of course its rusty and had a tree fall on it.

Lol, that's not patina, its Lichens. Guess they dont like the door?

Well at least we can see the blue on your valve covers. Not so much with the one I looked at.

I wouldn't go ahead and say he was full of bs. Maybe that's what his dad told him back in the day. Who knows. What I do know is its still sittin there a couple days later. Guess I'm not alone thinkin that's a bit much. I'll be honest and say I think I paid on the high side for my 77, but its a shortbed and they don't pop up very often here.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Hahahaa you found the only blue on the engine!

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode