Need some feedback on 05-07 Mustang GTs - Ford Bronco Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
Need some feedback on 05-07 Mustang GTs

I need a second vehicle, been daily driving my 95 Bronco for nine years, I've had some minor problems with her but in all that time she never left me stranded on the side of the road.
Anyway, I have my heart set on a Mustang GT, my price range seems to be 05-07 years. The ones I have been looking at seem to average 140,000 to 150,000 miles. Just need some feedback on what to look for and what to expect with cars with that mileage. I just need a reliable DD and not a money pit.

Thanks!

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
S197 chassis Mustangs (05-14) are rock solid, simple, and plentiful. As far as the 3V cars go (05-10), they aren't quite as fast as the coyote powered cars of 11-14 but still make great a daily.

Do be mindful of high mileage cars that haven't had timing work done, the system usually needs service around 150k or so. Same goes with the 5R55S automatic if you get one with 2 pedals, service records showing that it was cared for would be a big plus.

Also, don't catch the mod bug with it if you don't want it to be a money pit. The Mustang aftermarket is vast, wide, and full of shit that will have you reaching for your credit card if you aren't careful. Ask me how I know

EDIT: Look into 2010's also, they are sort of the black sheep of that generation of Mustang (new body style, older engine), and because of that they can be had at extremely reasonable prices.
Weber, JScatt, johnnyk8 and 2 others like this.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
2014 Mustang GT
1991 BMW 525i
Ford Parts manager, members needing help researching or locating Ford OEM parts send me a PM!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 PM
I ♥ TTB

Bronco Info: 89 lifted a smidge
Love my 07, drives great (I've made some slight performance mods), IF I drive nice I can get close to 30 mpg but I average about 24 (read heavy foot and love acceleration)
I bought mine used with about 30000 on the clock, I've got 120000 or so now and other than routine maintenance I've only had to replace the alternator...
@JScatt Prices can be all over the board around here... What are you looking to spend if you don't mind me asking?
JScatt likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl89 View Post
Well try snatch next time.
-In Heaven you get love and peace.

In Hell you get to party with Pirates and Ninjas.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92BroncoXLT View Post
S197 chassis Mustangs (05-14) are rock solid, simple, and plentiful. As far as the 3V cars go (05-10), they aren't quite as fast as the coyote powered cars of 11-14 but still make great a daily.

Do be mindful of high mileage cars that haven't had timing work done, the system usually needs service around 150k or so. Same goes with the 5R55S automatic if you get one with 2 pedals, service records showing that it was cared for would be a big plus.

Also, don't catch the mod bug with it if you don't want it to be a money pit. The Mustang aftermarket is vast, wide, and full of shit that will have you reaching for your credit card if you aren't careful. Ask me how I know

EDIT: Look into 2010's also, they are sort of the black sheep of that generation of Mustang (new body style, older engine), and because of that they can be had at extremely reasonable prices.
Thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber View Post
Love my 07, drives great (I've made some slight performance mods), IF I drive nice I can get close to 30 mpg but I average about 24 (read heavy foot and love acceleration)
I bought mine used with about 30000 on the clock, I've got 120000 or so now and other than routine maintenance I've only had to replace the alternator...
@JScatt Prices can be all over the board around here... What are you looking to spend if you don't mind me asking?
Didn't know the got that good of mileage, thats another reason I want to ease up on driving the Bronco. 5-6K seems to be the average price for clean cars with the above mentioned mileage so I've set that as my budget
Weber and 92BroncoXLT like this.

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 351W, E4OD/BW1356, BFG 33x12.5 KM2
With the average mileage you posted, you should inspect ball joints, sway bushings, tie-rods (i went steeda bumpsteer) the average wear and tire items depending how hard it's been driven. I hear people complain about the e-brake freezzing up, but buy it and have fun. All used cars will have issues.

I really love my '01 SVT Cobra, I just did Prothane bushings install, BMR Control Arms with taller ball joints, Koni shocks and she rides like a dream.

Good luck, post some pics. Mustangs are easy to work on.
JScatt likes this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Quote:

What exactly is the timing work you mentioned?

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:43 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
I'm assuming timing belts/chains etc. The typical stuff that needs to be done around 100k on most cars regardless of make.
JScatt likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Foolsize Member

Quote:
Cam phasers and tensioners primarily are the weak points at higher mileage, but a full system replacement (chains, guides, etc) with quality parts is usually the best remedy to have a happy, reliable engine. Some people will also do a cam phaser lockout while its apart, which defeats the variable cam timing of the engine and typically adds to its long term reliability.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
2014 Mustang GT
1991 BMW 525i
Ford Parts manager, members needing help researching or locating Ford OEM parts send me a PM!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Here are the two I will be looking at this weekend

this one has 147,00 miles
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...925388185.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...916072369.html

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Foolsize Member

Quote:
Here are the two I will be looking at this weekend

this one has 147,00 miles
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...925388185.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...916072369.html
Red flag The silver car has a base model V6 grille and bumper on it (no fog lights), you may want to inspect the front end closely and make sure it hasn't been hit. EDIT: You can also see the door panel delaminating in the edge of one of the pics (common issue on 05-09's)

The black car looks alot nicer for the money, already has a few tasteful mods (minus those cheesy headlights), and has fewer miles.
JScatt likes this.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
2014 Mustang GT
1991 BMW 525i
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Bronco Info: 79 ranger xlt
Garage
My parents ordered an 05 GT just about as soon as they could and Mom still loves it. She only put 35k miles on it so far so it's a pup.

Dad did take it to the drags one time with me in my 94GT and that thing (bone stock and automatic) will run a 14.1 all day long and never change.

Mom wanted running horses on the lower door area so we made up some vinyl decals and had them fade from body color to silver.
JScatt and JustRight like this.

79 ranger xlt free wheeler
roll bar, factory cb, lighted sun visors, cruise, tilt, ac, factory air assist, front and rear lockers, built 460, 4inch rancho lift with 2 inch body, rebuilt c-6 with shift kit
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Fullsize Member

get me the vin's and I'll pull the carfax for you.
Weber and JScatt like this.

1979 Ranger XLT 4bt Dana 60 front 80 rear M50D-R2 NP205
My Build Thread;
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...r-xlt-4bt.html
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Bronco Info: No Bronco. 1993 F150 XLT Four Wheel 2.5" Lift
Garage
These overhead cam Mustangs are not like the older pushrod engines. These engines supposedly last longer so 120K 150K imo would be just pass the brek in period. In other words the 40K for the push rod engines. I've seen lots of modular engines lasting well into the 100K range, even in the 200K range still running strong. The 09 Mustangs would be harder to find see there was a lot less made for that year. Like said up top the chain guides and tensioners would be something to look into. If it aint broke or not showing signs of breaking leave it alone.

I have a somewhat built 01 GT Convertible (garage kept) and when doing the heads I passed on doing the tensioners and guides though I did the cam gears. These r holding up very well with 425/420 turbo charged horsepower/torque to the wheels. Not saying these are vehicles which wont break down snd r trust worth (nything mechanical will break down eventually and care is s must). You're buying an older vehicle from someone you do not know and these must be things to be prepared for (break downs).

The thing to worry bout is if the owner selling it beat the living day lights out of it or if he didn't take care of it. Look for signs of built up rubber on the inside fender well, uneven tires, leaks, lots of play in the driveshaft, etc. If he didn't maintain it by doing oil changes (check color of oil), tranny fluid changes, brakes, ball joints, fuel filters/injectors, etc., etc. I remember hearing something bout the shift forks in these Mustangs. Same thing for my year, shift forks. See if there was ny recalls too and if so ask if they've been done. I know of one recall for the 06 and it was something to do with the air bag.

Just be warry of spending more money on it for modifications, this will be tempting. Out of those two the black one looks good and cleaner (very nice engine bay) though going to be tough to keep clean. My 01 is black and even being garage kept I still need to wash it or dust it off before I take it out.
Go look at both n keep your eyes n ears open for others which might pop up. Go on the Mustang forums and see what they have in the for sale sections.
Weber and JScatt like this.

“The greatest Danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 351W, E4OD/BW1356, BFG 33x12.5 KM2
The black GT has some pretty nice goodies, I'd stay from the Gray GT, there is front end damage.
JScatt likes this.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtwow View Post
get me the vin's and I'll pull the carfax for you.
Thanks! I will PM them to you

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Red flag The silver car has a base model V6 grille and bumper on it (no fog lights), you may want to inspect the front end closely and make sure it hasn't been hit. EDIT: You can also see the door panel delaminating in the edge of one of the pics (common issue on 05-09's)

The black car looks alot nicer for the money, already has a few tasteful mods (minus those cheesy headlights), and has fewer miles.
I had no idea about the grille and bumper, if thats the case I won't even bother looking at it Thanks for the heads up
92BroncoXLT likes this.

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

The black car has clear coat damage on the roof and the trunk lid is faded, the only thing that turns me off about it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	139640  

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

This one popped up today, mileage is 105K. Too bad the paint is F'ed up, might be a sign the car wasn't maintained properly

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...936422175.html

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:06 AM

Bronco Info: No Bronco. 1993 F150 XLT Four Wheel 2.5" Lift
Garage
Paint is really no big deal and can be dealt with. Sand the hood and trunk and get some black primer for now till you get u the money for paint. Though looks like something got on it that ate away at the paint, reason why I say this is the rubber / weather stripping looks to be affected too. I would keep this one on the vack burner right now n see what else is out there.

The one with the 22" rims imo I wouldn't even look at. Most who put these size wheel on don't get their car tuned or adjust for the correct MPH. Now you must hope there's no rubbing when you turn the wheels full right n full left. And look to see if it needs any new front suspension due to them having these wheels on for so long. Stopping is reduced too, due to these taller tires. If I remember right 2007 OEM Mustang GT wheels were 17" so you have 5" taller wheels on there. The paint is messed up on that one too.

Oh and hes not telling you everything in that for sale post. Just found this for you, remember I said something bout suspension parts…..https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...933495010.html

“The greatest Danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Foolsize Member

Quote:
This one popped up today, mileage is 105K. Too bad the paint is F'ed up, might be a sign the car wasn't maintained properly

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...936422175.html
Thats a V6.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
2014 Mustang GT
1991 BMW 525i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode