• 1 Post By El Kabong
  • 3 Post By CDA 455
  • 1 Post By thequietman
  • 2 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 2 Post By cobrajoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
Thumbs down Stupid U-verse/AT&T -No CBS -No Moon Shot Footage

No Eagle landing on my TV today.

Time to dump U-verse/AT&T. Somehow they managed to loose CBS just in time to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the moon landing. CBS, where Walter Cronkite covered all that cool stuff. I was into it as a kid & was looking forward to seeing what coverage they would have this weekend, & probably record some of it.

U-verse blames CBS. But I don't pay CBS. I pay U-verse. At least I used to. And U-verse failed to work it out.

We had & liked Dish, but their prices went too high. Then U-verse, which was clunky at best, & their prices have gone up too. We were already thinking about a change, but this pushes it over the edge. Time to find another.

Thinking about it, I might have an antenna somewhere that will pick it up directly. Time to go get that set up. Maybe free TV will be the next solution. My wife will miss Nascar & 24 hour animal doctor shows, & I'll miss RFD & classic programs, but I'm tired of getting jerked around by these outfits.
cobrajoe likes this.

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
Well, the digital antenna works. It oughta. We're close enough to the broadcasting towers that it should be overwhelmed. Hopefully CBS will run some sorta special on the moon landing.

When we first moved here, & I set up the analog antenna, it was hard to adjust it to get all the stations. It seemed like we were too close & if we picked up one at full strength, the others were weak. We had to aim it between the towers to get an average good enough signal.

View from one of the towers. You can see my old antenna. It's down front, by that white light, a little to to the right of the moose.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Hope it works out for ya bud. I'm working on cutting the cord myself. Paying anyone $150 a mo. for television is just insane. Setting up the "Free TV" antenna is gonna run around $400 because we're over 60 miles from all the signals. I'm setting up a 100 mile antenna on a 40ft mast, w/guy wires to keep the wind and weather from knocking it down. Good news is... once it's in, it's ours to do with as we please. Sick and tired of the network vs. channel BS. We're dumping DirectTV and we've started using Sling but I still need to setup a UHF, VHF antenna for the locals. Hope the free TV is worth it. They charge too much for crap content and you still loose a station in the middle of a show you're into. Sling leaves some things to be desired but for the price, we'll learn to adjust.
El Kabong, cobrajoe and CDA 455 like this.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
At&t and direct tv just did the same with our NBC channel. CBS is still on ours
El Kabong likes this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
Hope it works out for ya bud. I'm working on cutting the cord myself. Paying anyone $150 a mo. for television is just insane. Setting up the "Free TV" antenna is gonna run around $400 because we're over 60 miles from all the signals. I'm setting up a 100 mile antenna on a 40ft mast, w/guy wires to keep the wind and weather from knocking it down. Good news is... once it's in, it's ours to do with as we please. Sick and tired of the network vs. channel BS. We're dumping DirectTV and we've started using Sling but I still need to setup a UHF, VHF antenna for the locals. Hope the free TV is worth it. They charge too much for crap content and you still loose a station in the middle of a show you're into. Sling leaves some things to be desired but for the price, we'll learn to adjust.
Thanks. We avoided paying for tv for years, but when it became impossible to follow nascar without it, we were sucked in. I enjoy races, but my wife grew up going to the local tracks (oval & drags, raised her right ) with her dad & really enjoys seeing them all. I think we'll give it a shot, but it she'll want it back before long.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
At&t and direct tv just did the same with our NBC channel. CBS is still on ours
Hmm... they must be playing this game with multiple networks in different markets. I don't get their thinking. On ours there is a little note passing the buck explaining that it is the network's fault, like I'm somehow going to join them in getting the network to give in. The only outfit taking my money is U-verse, & that's the only place where I can make a change.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
Hmm... they must be playing this game with multiple networks in different markets. I don't get their thinking. On ours there is a little note passing the buck explaining that it is the network's fault, like I'm somehow going to join them in getting the network to give in. The only outfit taking my money is U-verse, & that's the only place where I can make a change.
It generally is between the local station/managing company and the carrier (AT$T). It's always about money.

Dish at home still has all the locals. DirecTv at work doesnt have KSNT (NBC) but does have the Fox and ABC channels that are owned by the same company as the NBC station. All three are in the same building, using the same antenna. CBS is seperate, and also still on.
El Kabong likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. We avoided paying for tv for years, but when it became impossible to follow nascar without it, we were sucked in. I enjoy races, but my wife grew up going to the local tracks (oval & drags, raised her right ) with her dad & really enjoys seeing them all. I think we'll give it a shot, but it she'll want it back before long.
You can stream nascar on FS1 mobile, but now that it's on NBC, I dont know. You can always listen online on the MRN network or maybe a local radio station.

Tell me you arent a Kyle Busch fan...

Hahah @BikerPepe` is a slinger

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

It
Quote:
Tell me you arent a Kyle Busch fan...
Is anybody? No, I'm usually rooting for Ryan Newman, the invisible Nascar driver.

Quote:
It generally is between the local station/managing company and the carrier (AT$T). It's always about money.

Dish at home still has all the locals. DirecTv at work doesnt have KSNT (NBC) but does have the Fox and ABC channels that are owned by the same company as the NBC station. All three are in the same building, using the same antenna. CBS is seperate, and also still on.
I get that their fight is about money. I am not part of their fight & neither is my money anymore.

I always enjoyed Dish. It was far more consistant than U-verse. It was just the growing cost of being a loyal customer that drove us elsewhere.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Quote:
Is anybody? No, I'm usually rooting for Ryan Newman, the invisible Nascar driver.
Some people do... I'm not sure why

Newman is the man! I was a Kenesth fan, before Gibbs fired him. I like Blaney too. The fact that he drives a Bronco and likes Colter Wall helps lol

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:27 PM
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Bronco Info: '94 XL/2"front spacer/1ton TRE Flip/Upgraded E4OD(To PSD specs)/2"rr lift blk/5100 Bilstein/33"BFGs.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I cut the cord last Fall and haven't looked back.

After the 2 year contract AND all the promotions expired, I fired Dish.

My bill went from $76 to $143. Fug that...

I'll tell you what, though...

The industry knows full well cord-cutting is the beginning of the end for cable as we know it.

When you call to notify them you're cutting, they're going really try hard to keep your business.

Don't be surprised if they're willing to cut your bill by more than 50%.

Dish thought I was playing hard ball when I told them I couldn't afford it anymore.

They offered EVERYTHING I had for less than $50; I said I CAN'T AFFORD IT.

They are hard up to keep business. PERIOD!

μολὼν λαβέ

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
I despise AT&T. we live in the middle of nowhere and we couldn't get OTA channels. I cut Dish off and went with Sling but our only internet was a DSL line from AT&T suppose to be 6MBPS and it was never above 3.

I dont want any TV but the family does so I'll keep trying to find better and less expensive stuff
CDA 455 likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Yep... Pepe's a Slinger!

My Dad got a hold of Direct TV a month or two ago and you're right, they bent over backwards to keep him as a paying customer. They recently upgraded their satellite signals, so he got a free upgrade on his box and dish to remain compatible and about the same time that came down the line, he had called to cancel... as he was tired of the constantly creeping costs on his fixed income. The reduced his $120 bill, down around $75 but who knows how long before they start creeping him up again. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the internet connection out there in my field at all and it would cost almost $3k to extend our fiber connection out to him. He knows nothing about the internet anyway and doesn't care too at 80 yrs. old.

I'm very fortunate for a guy living in a rural county. We got our entire county plumbed with fiber optic a few years back, so my net speed is outstanding (I average 60 mbps on my wireless connected PC) and because I got in on it when they first rolled it out, with Obama's infrastructure upgrade grants... I paid nothing to have it plumbed in to our home. It is $75 a month though, so we need to take advantage of it every way we can. It's the OTA TV and integration with the streaming services (so the lil lady can watch the tube without needing an IT degree or me playing "entertainment director") that I'm working on at this point.

For the best integration, we may be dropping Sling, just so we can pick it back up and qualify for the free AirTV Player setup with a 3 month commitment. The AirTV Player integrates the OTA signal feed with the SlingTV app, offers an OTA DVR solution (w/a 50gb usb stick, separate), a universal remote and it runs the Sling App on it's own. Right now we've been checking out SlingTV on the X-Box 1 and although the signal quality is great, the console game controller is completely beyond her.

I've been researching on and off for a little while now and this seems to be the best strategy for us, at this point anyway.
BigBlue 94 and CDA 455 like this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
I call and cancel Xfinity(Comcast) every year when they go up on my pricing; then they beg me to stay, frop the price, increase my internet speed and add 6 months of a Premium channel for free.
Just sucks that I have to go through this every phucking year....
Weber and CDA 455 like this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode