3Likes
  • 2 Post By mckenziedg
  • 1 Post By WTFBurban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 83 Bronco 302/C6, 3.55 Posi F&R
Garage
My off-road and 4x4 roots....Isuzu Trooper

Thought I would share a little story about what got me interested in offroading/4x4s...

I was a (cough, cough) a tuner...please don't judge, I was young and impressionable; the fast and furious movies were a big hit and I wanted to go FAST. Bought a '93 Honda Civic with a B16 VTEC swap. A year later I had a 322whp turbo monster. It lasted a little over 1,000 miles before I totaled it.

Found out I wasn't as invincible as I thought and decided to go slow. My cousins were into Isuzu's so I bought an '89 Isuzu Trooper LS 2.6L 5-speed, power windows and cruise control.

Even with a limited aftermarket presence, and coming in on the tail end of "Cash for clunkers" I was able to build an off-road beast with some hard to find/rare parts.

Geared 4.56 from the factory, the list of mods include:
Independent 4x HD torsion bars and lift shackles
ARB air locker (rear)
Aussie locker (front)
TerraLow 4:1 low range transfer case
Delta Cam upgrade
Custom front/rear bumpers and rock sliders (build by the late great Joe Darlington)
Roof rack with custom brackets (modified by my father)

I did every trail at Uwharrie with almost bald 235/45/15 when it was stock. I took it up to PA to Bald Eagle State Park, to the beach, and mountains of NC for school. I loved that rig and still have it. It has a little more rust than I would like and currently has an undiagnosed fuel issue. It's currently back at my dad's house in NC. I plan to restore it one day back to it's former glory; I've got wayyyy to much in it to ever sell. I'm still an Isuzu guy at heart, but I'm glad to be in the FSB community.
BigBlue 94 and WTFBurban like this.

1983 Bronco 302 paired with a C6; 3.55 gears limited slip front and rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:07 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT "Babe the Blue Ox"/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
What's the symptom to the fuel problem? As a 'master auto tech' (my ASE accreditations ran out in 2015), I have experience with Japanese engine control systems.

LINK??? Link yourself down to Walmart!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 AM

Bronco Info: 89 f150 RCSB XLT Lariat 5.0/M5OD/1356/8.8 Manual everything!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedg View Post

I was a (cough, cough) a tuner...please don't judge
No judgement here. I'd trade my suburban straight up for a rust free/clear title Early-82 5 speed MA67... doesn't even need to run lol. Mine had way too much HP, looked bone stock, and I really never should have let her go. Friend drove it ONCE about 1/2 mile, came back, tossed the keys on the counter and said "I'm never driving that damn thing again! How are you still alive?".

We may all be here for the blue oval... but were all car guys/gals in the end.
mckenziedg likes this.

Never wheel alone... "Hold my beer and watch this" doesn't work without a buddy or 12. (Please don't drink and drive)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Bronco Info: 92 Bronco on 35 tires with solid axel swap with a Duff parts.
Garage
I had an 89 Isuzu trooper that I got in 92, it was a great vehicle. When we moved to Lackland AFB from Beal AFB it towed a Toyota Paseo the entire way. I hope you are able to restore your original 4 x 4 to its original glory. Good luck

Train today for tomorrow's unknown!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 83 Bronco 302/C6, 3.55 Posi F&R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
What's the symptom to the fuel problem? As a 'master auto tech' (my ASE accreditations ran out in 2015), I have experience with Japanese engine control systems.
It will start and idle just fine, but when you go to take off it will sputter and stall. Not every time but often. It would also do that sometimes when I drove it. Would run fine but then it felt like I was dragging an elephant, wouldn't accelerate, but wouldn't shut off unless you took the foot off the gas. I'd have to leave it for about 5 minutes before it would start back up.

Most likely the fuel system just needs to be cleaned out. There was some rust and debris in the tank when I replaced the fuel pump not too long ago. I'm religious about changing the fuel filter, but I'm sure some stuff got through. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator with a new one, but I could probably get a new one of those. I'd like to get the injectors cleaned and kinda start from there.

Until recently I haven't had a place to park it or work on it. My apartment complex was strict about that sort of thing. I've recently bought a house so I plan to try and get it running and back up here this fall.

1983 Bronco 302 paired with a C6; 3.55 gears limited slip front and rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode