Anyone Else Addicted to MotorTrend Channel? - Ford Bronco Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1982 xlt lariat. 351 Windsor, Edelbrock 4bbl carb, c6 tranny, 4x4, auto locking hubs.
Garage
Anyone Else Addicted to MotorTrend Channel?

I've always loved watch car programs. I've been a bit of a gearhead since i was around 16 and had my first boyfriend who had a 78 Camaro... It might have happened a bit before that with my grandmother's car, a 67 and a half gold Camaro RS... But the 78 was really the first resto i took part in. Pretty sure i loved that car more then him, it was a blast... Burning up the back roads at the Jersey shore blasting metal and eluding police... I was hooked

Anywho... I've always enjoyed reading about cars and trucks, spec sheets, tech reviews, all that stuff. I use to collect model booklets from local dealers... Not ur typical girl... But NOW they have the wonderful invention of cable tv and with that I've discovered the motor trend channel... I must admit, next to the music channel M/T is the most watched... I Love Fantomworks some of the restos they do just leave me in awe... All i can think is imagine what they could do to my rig (then i think about the price tag ). Garage squad is another I like... Bitchin' Rides, Chasing Classic Cars is nice to see all the beautiful classics, Overhaulin is another great one.. really too many to mention but those are a few of my favorites...
So what about everyone else? Anyone else watch that channel? What are some of your favorite shows?

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 PM
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 98 TJ
Fixed title for you....
BroncMom likes this.

Tim

Newest token Jeep owner....

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
I watch a few here and there. There are a few shows on History Channel also on the weekends like Truck Tech and Truck U - they’re kinda dumb and corny, but sometimes they have some cool builds. Truck Night in America on History is kinda fun too - seeing a bunch of folks running their trucks through a crazy obstacle course and many times tearing up their rigs. The hosts are like - sorry dude, you just snapped your axle - you’re out, see ya!

It all is very corny and overacted, but if I ever want to watch tv alone and in peace, I’ll put those on after the kids go to bed (on DVR) and the wife rolls her eyes and goes to bed to watch Hallmark Channel play Christmas movies in July or something and I sit with some chips and salsa and watch mindless television. Lol
BroncMom likes this.

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO CHECK OUT THIS MONTH'S FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH COMPETITION HERE!!***
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1982 xlt lariat. 351 Windsor, Edelbrock 4bbl carb, c6 tranny, 4x4, auto locking hubs.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
Fixed title for you....
Thanks @Redwagon appreciate it

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll have to check those out on the history channel @MS88Bronc thankfully when i put on car shows i don't get eye rolls cause both hubby (use to build helicopters for the Marine corps) and my 14yo son (when not playing football or wrestling, he's building his dirt bike) dig em.

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
I don't really watch much on TV anymore. I know 99% of the car shows are for entertainment purposes which gets annoying with some being worse than others. A couple that I did like watching here and there were Wheeler Dealers back when Edd China was on the show and the occasional auction show like Barrett-Jackson just to get some eye candy.
BroncMom likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:04 AM
Past Bronco Owner

Bronco Info: 2015 4Runner in - Bronco out - to another member
My favs Best first

Bitchen Rides > Chasing Classic Cars > Goblins Works Garage > Wheeler Dealers > Fantom Works
BroncMom likes this.

Bronco is sold to another member but the memory will live on.
I still come here to keep up with wheeling buddies and check out their rides.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/33" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS88Bronc View Post
but if I ever want to watch tv alone and in peace, I’ll put those on after the kids go to bed (on DVR) and the wife rolls her eyes and goes to bed to watch Hallmark Channel play Christmas movies in July or something and I sit with some chips and salsa and watch mindless television. Lol
I'm with you... but my TV time with the DVR is early Saturday and Sunday mornings, and when the kids and wife get up, me time is over.

With that said, back to the topic... I like Roadkill and Dirt Everyday. I'm getting tired of the unlimited budget builds.

I still say, I'd like to see a show where they visit regular folk and showcase their ve-hickles.
BroncMom likes this.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
My favs Best first

Bitchen Rides > Chasing Classic Cars > Goblins Works Garage > Wheeler Dealers > Fantom Works
Very cool @90Beater but i just can't seem to get into goblin works garage... I think it's the accent. Makes it hard to take them seriously.

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by makersneat View Post
With that said, back to the topic... I like Roadkill and Dirt Everyday. I'm getting tired of the unlimited budget builds.

I still say, I'd like to see a show where they visit regular folk and showcase their ve-hickles.
They have a couple where they do that with giving the average guy a surprise resto. I like those too and wonder how to enter my rig
I don't like roadkill too much cause i hate seeing cars destroyed
And I agree... The unlimited budget restos are beautiful but it's unrealistic for the average Joe... All i can think is... How can they afford that...

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Kind of a touchy subject for me. I grew up watching Trucks! and Horsepower TV on TNN. Then it changed to spike and they added muscle car and extreme 4x4. Loved it all. Now this "Powerblock" airs on History and CBSsports. It's still good. I dont like how many of them have too much drama written in.

Then all of a sudden, Velocity comes out. Its gearhead heaven! Now its MT.

My favorite show of all is Stacey David's Gearz. I grew up watching Stacey build up an early bronco, Crazy Horse. Some dont like him because he chuckles at his own jokes. But he actually shows you how to work on things, and not just cars. He's done amphibious atvs, snowcats, heavy tow trucks, kit cars, and a WWII power wagon on 54" tires.

I HATE graveyard cars, because of the host. But he DOES know what he is talking about. Cant stand Bitchin Rides because of KevDog, and they show the same 6 digit builds every damn day. What's my car worth is worthless. Two guys garage is worthless. TruckU is nearly garbage.

I like chasing classic cars and an older show, "what's in the barn". I also like CarFix with Lou Santiago. All girls garage isn't bad, plus Christy is nice to look at. Fantomworks and that Canadian show about the "guild" are decent, but too much sometimes. That Bugatti the guild built by hand out of magnesium was FUC**NG AMAZING though.

Obviously overhaulin is one of the best

One show on NBCSN is Jay Leno's Garage. It's a bit different, but always entertaining, especially if you like Jay's sense of humor.
Gunny4Sawx and BroncMom like this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:34 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Kind of a touchy subject for me. I grew up watching Trucks! and Horsepower TV on TNN. Then it changed to spike and they added muscle car and extreme 4x4. Loved it all. Now this "Powerblock" airs on History and CBSsports. It's still good. I dont like how many of them have too much drama written in.

Then all of a sudden, Velocity comes out. Its gearhead heaven! Now its MT.

My favorite show of all is Stacey David's Gearz. I grew up watching Stacey build up an early bronco, Crazy Horse. Some dont like him because he chuckles at his own jokes. But he actually shows you how to work on things, and not just cars.

I miss the old TNN powerblock. I remember Crazy Horse too! That was very cool. I have not really found any decent auto shows lately.
BigBlue 94 likes this.

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO CHECK OUT THIS MONTH'S FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH COMPETITION HERE!!***
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT FSB 5.0 4Sp AT Auto Hubs Manual Xfer stock over stock. Needs a newish interior.
Yep Stacy David is still how I measure any of these shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Government is a lot like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. My Mother taught me that stealing is wrong.

There is no profit in peace.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:45 AM
Past Bronco Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncMom View Post
Very cool @90Beater but i just can't seem to get into goblin works garage... I think it's the accent. Makes it hard to take them seriously.
I guess I have watched enough British TV (BBC America) to get use to it. Top Gear started that.

Other car shows worth mentioning: Junkyard Empire(8), What's in the Barn(10), Fast And Loud(6), Aaron Needs a Job(8), Diesel Brothers(4)

Past Shows: Junkyard Wars(10), Scrapheap Challenge(10), Black Ops Brothers(6), American Hot Rod(7)

Graveyard cars is the only one I will not watch. 1 episode and done.
BroncMom likes this.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
I guess I have watched enough British TV (BBC America) to get use to it. Top Gear started that.

Other car shows worth mentioning: Junkyard Empire(8), What's in the Barn(10), Fast And Loud(6), Aaron Needs a Job(8), Diesel Brothers(4)

Past Shows: Junkyard Wars(10), Scrapheap Challenge(10), Black Ops Brothers(6), American Hot Rod(7)

Graveyard cars is the only one I will not watch. 1 episode and done.
I like diesel bros, but it's barely a car show. More of a show about those clowns building the trucks. The only reason Ass Monkey garage was any good was Aaron and KC. Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman is good, but I cant figure it out. Is it just a few episodes that came out randomly?

American Hotrod was the original. Too much drama, but still good. I just wish Boyd would have not used a 350 Chevy in EVERY build. But damn, the guy is a Legend. American Chopper was the same way.

I had forgotten about Howe and Howe Tech (black ops bros). That was a bad ass show. The show itself was decent, but the stuff they built was off the charts. I'd love one of them mine trucks they built, or obviously a Ripsaw. I mean really? A driver-optional tank capable of 65mph? That's just cool. I wish it lasted more than 2 seasons. That little fire fighting tank they made was really neat too.
90Beater and BroncMom like this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:47 AM
Past Bronco Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman is good, but I cant figure it out. Is it just a few episodes that came out randomly?
It was short lived. He crashed his car and got hurt pretty bad. Show Canceled. Now he has a new show that's pretty much a ripoff of Dirty Jobs. Aaron wants a job.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wonder why he left gas monkey/fast n loud

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Aaron was the talent behind Fast-N-Loud; Shifting gears was cool, the need a job thing, not so much.

Dave Kindig and his guys do some phenomenal work, but as said, Kevdog I can do with out.

Joe Martin and his crew on Iron Resurrection are probably my favorite, Joe is extremely talented and can do just about everything.
Festus and BroncMom like this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:03 PM

Bitching Rides I like. Kevdog and all. You want to know why? Every GOOD shop has a guy like Kev. Viewers may think he just plays tricks and hams it up for the camera, but I guarantee you there is a VERY good reason why he manages that shop. I bet you he's the same off camera as he is on. The main reason I like Bitchin Rides is they don't do cookie cutter builds and they MAKE / BUILD their own stuff most of the time. Metalworking is becoming a lost art. Some of those guys that work at KinDig It are HIGHLY EDUCATED people that just happen to be car guys. They ENJOY doing what they do. That's saying something nowadays.

The reason for the 6 digit builds? If you owned their shop would you turn them down? I guarantee you they have a waiting list a couple years long. That's respect - people show up with a car, stroke you a check for hundreds of thousands of dollars and say "build it".

Fantom works....well...no offense, some of his work is 'meh'. He's just down the road in Norfolk and I can tell you there are plenty of real car people who build their own stuff who wouldn't take their lawn mower to them - but that's just my opinion. Got tired of watching the owner strut out, make demands, talk about "how impossible" it is to find a certain part etc etc. It's drama for drama's sake.

Roadkill was okay in the beginning....now it's them trying to reproduce the low-budget, no sponsor show they started (with high budgets and big sponsors). Seriously....who wouldn't get paid to drive a crappy car across the country when you have a complete support crew following you the entire time?

Roadkill Garage - the spin off - isn't bad.

I like Hot Rod garage a bit.

The thing is - reality TV isn't. You know why? I've worked / helped out in shops building project cars (low to high $$$) and most of the time it would be extremely boring to watch. And the entertaining people? A lot of them would have no desire to actually be on TV and they sure wouldn't act the same. Not to mention all the cool stories I have from the last 30+ years of wrenching - 1. Most people wouldn't believe them (except the idiots there with me) and 2. Lawyers would have a heart attack.

Example - Ever seen what happens to an empty metal motorcycle tank when you try to weld / grind on it without filling it with water first?

Ever seen what happens when someone doesn't tighten the Jesus nut on an old school tire mounter and proceeds to feed the tire / wheel WAY Too much PSI when trying to mount a stiff, low profile sidewall tire on a wide wheel?

I watch some shows - mainly because of the MotorTrend app - on early mornings drinking coffee before heading out to the shop or to work on the house etc, but I don't watch one religiously. Depends on the car / truck they're working on etc.

Pretty much all the Hot Rod magazine / Peterson Publishing stuff pisses me off...because they work / live in Southern California so picking up a rust free 'beater' for cheap is no big deal to them. But at least I don't have to deal with their taxes, fees, traffic and corporate BS when building something so there is that.

What most shows won't show you is how long those full off builds / restores ACTUALLY take. Who wants to watch an ENTIRE season of ONE vehicle and the monotonous task of pointing out that "bolt on" parts rarely are (especially when the car / truck you're bolting it on is 30+ years old), the HOURS AND HOURS of block sanding. The HOURS of grinding down welds that come before body work. The constant trips back and forth to the car when you're building a part from scratch and you have to modify it AGAIN.

Shit - I guess I'm becoming that "get off my lawn" guy. My bad.
90Beater, cobrajoe and BroncMom like this.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
Shit - I guess I'm becoming that "get off my lawn" guy. My bad.
Nooooo... That was an awesome reply @ctandc . Loved it

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode