Fumoto Oil Drain Valve - Ford Bronco Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1982 xlt lariat. 351 Windsor, Edelbrock 4bbl carb, c6 tranny, 4x4, auto locking hubs.
Garage
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Is anyone familiar with these ? Do they actually work as advertised?

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=578691
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-01-22-09-08-1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	141950  

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:21 AM
In Front of Jopes

Bronco Info: Need $$$ to restore 1996, and DD is 2001 F-350 PSD
I don't think its a good idea:

1) Someone could open it without you knowing it, a good way to get revenge, or vandalize someone's vehicle
2) It could get tripped by something like if you were in the backwoods.
3) I don't think its worth risking starving your engine of oil if it were to be opened by someone or by accident.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1982 xlt lariat. 351 Windsor, Edelbrock 4bbl carb, c6 tranny, 4x4, auto locking hubs.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I don't think its a good idea:

1) Someone could open it without you knowing it, a good way to get revenge, or vandalize someone's vehicle
2) It could get tripped by something like if you were in the backwoods.
3) I don't think its worth risking starving your engine of oil if it were to be opened by someone or by accident.
Exactly what hubby n I were thinking when he showed me the ad

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:22 AM
In Front of Jopes

Bronco Info: Need $$$ to restore 1996, and DD is 2001 F-350 PSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncMom View Post
Exactly what hubby n I were thinking when he showed me the ad
One time I had someone "lock" my hubs in a school parking lot back them because he wanted to destroy my 4x4 system.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:51 AM
Past Bronco Owner

Bronco Info: 2015 4Runner in - Bronco out - to another member
I have a similar one on my 4Runner. The EZ drain valve. It has a larger opening and a spring locked valve. It has a barbed end to attach a piece of tubing to make draining cleaner.

It is hidden above the skid plate so it would be difficult for someone to release it if they even knew it was there. No more burnt fingers taking off the drain plug and no chance of stripping the nut.

Raindog and BroncMom like this.

Bronco is sold to another member but the memory will live on.
I still come here to keep up with wheeling buddies and check out their rides.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:10 AM
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
It seems like it would be ok for a street vehicle. But I'd be worried about breaking it off while offroading. It looks like it would stick out quite a bit further than the stock plug. And it looks like it's brass, which is soft & easy to break.
BroncMom likes this.

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD, tow pkg. & 235/75-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

If you are doing 3k drains these things are awesome. No more hot oil running down your arm.

An accidental opening is unlikely. The lever actually needs to be pressed down and then turned. There are also options for a plastic clip or a heavy metal spring clamp to further secure the lever.

They are definitely larger so concerns off roading are legit. May not be the best choice if your rock crawling.

Wish I had access to Orey before the engine was pulled to snap a pic. It's not as if it dangles down.

One downside you don't see mentioned, most drain plugs are magnetized. This one by its nature is not. The Fumoto won't go back on until 6k miles after the engine swap is done.

As for vandalism? That's possible to, but I have a sneaking suspicion if someone were intent enough to crawl under your truck to even figure out you had one, they are pretty hell bent on doing something bad anyway.

One caution, Fumoto's website defaults to a later metric thread. My '93 took a 1/2-20 UNF thread. Part # F-101 has the correct threads and the short spout.

Fumoto's customer service was great, sending out the new part before sending a return label and letting me keep the extra plastic keeper as a spare.

All-in-all I'm a fan. When spinning of the old filter becomes the toughest part of an oil change... I call that a win!

My Build Thread: Orey Gets Stroked
“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco XLT 5.8L 4" Dick Cepek stage2 lift 33x12.5x15 4.10s True Trac
They are quite popular on the F150 forums, for newer trucks. They come in handy for people who have to crawl under trucks without a lot of clearance to change their oil. Plus the newer trucks have the drain plug on the side of the oil pan and if you can't get the drain pan close enough the oil gushes out on and hits the sway bar and frame rail. The drain plug on my Bronco is on the bottom of the oil pan so there's no benefit to using a Fumoto on it. I have a 2 post lift so I can get the drain pan close enough on my F150 so it doesn't make a mess. So I don't have any use for a Fumoto on the F150 either. It would only slow down the draining process for me.
But a lot of people find them useful.
BroncMom likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys. It def seems like it has its pros and cons. I just thought it would be easier for me to do oil changes instead of always sticking hubby or the boy with it

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1983 Bronco XLS, manual warn hubs, 4.9, 4-speed manual, 4-bbl, headers, factory air
I've been using those valves in my vehicles for five years now and love them. Because of the valve and the oil filter being on top of the engine, my wife's car (Outback) is the first car I've ever owned that I don't have to jack up to change the oil.
BroncMom likes this.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:37 PM

Bronco Info: 79 ranger xlt
Garage
My 300 series John Deere has a similar valve on it from new in 1988 and it works great!
BroncMom likes this.

79 ranger xlt free wheeler
roll bar, factory cb, lighted sun visors, cruise, tilt, ac, factory air assist, front and rear lockers, built 460, 4inch rancho lift with 2 inch body, rebuilt c-6 with shift kit
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:52 PM
MARBLE GARGLER!

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
...the engine oil BETTER be warmed up before you try to use these type of valves, Had one on my Ranchero. I recommend the style that you can put the drain hose on.
BroncMom likes this.

"I got roller rockers" DAMMIT!!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:17 PM

Bronco Info: 1987 / 5.0 / C6 / Bone Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncMom View Post
... instead of always sticking hubby or the boy with it
Isn't that what kids are for?
Want2BS8ed and BroncMom like this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w500 View Post
...the engine oil BETTER be warmed up before you try to use these type of valves, Had one on my Ranchero. I recommend the style that you can put the drain hose on.
Shouldn't it always be?

Want2BS8ed and BroncMom like this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 w/302
Garage
I used to have one of those valves on a car back in the 80’s..... I LOVED it....... thank you for the reminder to get some of them for my current vehicles. I normally don’t think of those until oil change time, but that’s as far as it gets!
BroncMom likes this.

nra1ifer

"....but I will say that a man who wouldn’t cheat for a poke don’t want one bad enough.”
Augustus "Gus" McCrae of Lonesome Dove
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD, tow pkg. & 235/75-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
FWIW, 15% off and free shipping over $25 through the 3rd with code LABORDAY

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com
BroncMom likes this.

My Build Thread: Orey Gets Stroked
“It doesn’t need to run like a raped ape... a mildly violated monkey would be fine.”
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ring View Post
Isn't that what kids are for?
It is... But he has enough going on with his dirt bike build, football, and freshmen year that he doesn't need to worry about helping me when I'm perfectly capable. Lead by example
90Beater likes this.

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
I used to have one of those valves on a car back in the 80’s..... I LOVED it....... thank you for the reminder to get some of them for my current vehicles. I normally don’t think of those until oil change time, but that’s as far as it gets!
No problem @nra1ifer glad I could help

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
I might have to look into something like that for my F100. I hate changing the oil on that truck because it goes all over the I-beams, cross member, and tie rods and makes a real mess. Having one of these with a hose I could run over things would help. I don't think ground clearance would be an issue as something would have to go though my front cross member before it'd be able to hit the drain plug. My Bronco is a piece of cake as the drain plug points straight down and there's nothing under the pan, so it goes right in the oil bucket for me.

It's hard to make out, but the drain plug is on the very top right hand side above everything in this pic. It's due for an oil change as well.

BroncMom likes this.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosenberry View Post
I might have to look into something like that for my F100. I hate changing the oil on that truck because it goes all over the I-beams, cross member, and tie rods and makes a real mess. Having one of these with a hose I could run over things would help. I don't think ground clearance would be an issue as something would have to go though my front cross member before it'd be able to hit the drain plug. My Bronco is a piece of cake as the drain plug points straight down and there's nothing under the pan, so it goes right in the oil bucket for me.

It's hard to make out, but the drain plug is on the very top right hand side above everything in this pic. It's due for an oil change as well.

Some of the stuff they've done with the newer F series trucks is so stupid. They really have some ass backwards engineering in those rigs... Practically have to take the whole front clip apart just to work on some parts of the motor... I've heard lots of complaints from people. Say it looks like it was engineered by a 5 year old.

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode