Educate me on Roll Bars plz - Ford Bronco Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 82XLTLariat 351w Edelbrock 4bbl c6 auto hubs 33x10.5x15
Garage
Educate me on Roll Bars plz

So... After taking my rig on her first top off road trip this summer I'm pretty convinced I want to add a roll bar for body stability. In theory shouldn't it help in a tops off situation where you're losing all that weight and added rigidity when the top is off? I'm hoping that by adding a roll bar (and new rear shocks and eventually new leafs) that I'll avoid any future experience like the one I had going to Tidioute with my rear end bounce.

Thoughts?

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, C6, custom np208 based doubler, np208, TTB D44, 9", 5.13's
I don’t think a roll bar or cage will add enough rigidity to change the street stability.... and the weight of the cage itself will probably negate any rigidity benefits.
Nothing against a cage or at least a bar, it’s a good idea to have one should crap go bad, but on a fullsize I don’t see it having the same effect as strut braces and the like would in a Mustang or Miata or similar

I understood that correct, right? Does that apply towards what you are thinking?

I think good shocks, front and rear sway bars, and a little playing with tire pressure to find the happy spot, will get you a long way in street manners
BroncMom likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:51 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
Iíve had my top off all summer on the 86 and didnít really notice any difference in ďhandlingĒ. My shocks are crap and Iím running the stock beat springs with no sway bars front or rear.

What is yours doing exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BroncMom likes this.

When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk.
https://binged.it/2LnJaeA
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOille View Post
I don’t think a roll bar or cage will add enough rigidity to change the street stability.... and the weight of the cage itself will probably negate any rigidity benefits.
Nothing against a cage or at least a bar, it’s a good idea to have one should crap go bad, but on a fullsize I don’t see it having the same effect as strut braces and the like would in a Mustang or Miata or similar

I understood that correct, right? Does that apply towards what you are thinking?

I think good shocks, front and rear sway bars, and a little playing with tire pressure to find the happy spot, will get you a long way in street manners
Yup. Seems u understood exactly @Nickollie
Good in a shtf moment but won't really add much in the way of overall stability or body rigidity is what I'm taking away from your comment... Correct?

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post
I’ve had my top off all summer on the 86 and didn’t really notice any difference in “handling”. My shocks are crap and I’m running the stock beat springs with no sway bars front or rear.

What is yours doing exactly?

Hey @biggum , I was going about 50 on a 2 Lane 'highway' and they were doing construction. Hit a section and it was like i was driving on a wash board. Back end started hopping and shaking. At some points out felt like the neck wheels were bouncing in unison and sometimes it felt like one then the other like the rear was twisting a bit. Had my top off with 2 kayaks in the back and had to slow down to under 30 just to regain control and have the rear stop bouncing. I posted a thread right after it happened and general consensus was my shocks suck haven't had it happen again, but sometimes going down the highway esp at 65+ the rear tires feel every bit of bad road and it feels like they're fixing to start hopping again so i slow down. I have a front stabilizer but nothing that i can see on the rear.

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:55 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
Wow. Iím just running some Gabrielís on the back I think. I would Iikevto upgrade all around but am waiting for my lift - someday after braces, cavities, soccer, food, insurance, mortgage, ...............

Anyway, Iíd just throw a new set of standard shocks in there and see if it helps.

I think the cage will help with twisting due to off-road work but I donít know how much it would matter with what you are describing.

BroncMom likes this.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 PM

Garage
I usually run about 26-30 psi in my BFGs around town.

BroncMom likes this.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:04 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, C6, custom np208 based doubler, np208, TTB D44, 9", 5.13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncMom View Post

Yup. Seems u understood exactly @Nickollie
Good in a shtf moment but won't really add much in the way of overall stability or body rigidity is what I'm taking away from your comment... Correct?
Yeah. I don’t see how your issue had anything to do with frame/body flex. And even if it were, I don’t think a cage would resolve it.
I think your issue came from the perfect storm of bad shocks, crappy road, tire pressure, and whatever weight you had in the Bronco.
But hey, I just bash my junk on rocks for fun, I’m probably not the premier authority on street performance

Also, I mentioned a rear sway bar. That wouldn’t have done anything in your exact scenario. It would just help a little with body roll(side to side) and cornering stability
BroncMom likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOille View Post
Yeah. I don’t see how your issue had anything to do with frame/body flex. And even if it were, I don’t think a cage would resolve it.
I think your issue came from the perfect storm of bad shocks, crappy road, tire pressure, and whatever weight you had in the Bronco.
But hey, I just bash my junk on rocks for fun, I’m probably not the premier authority on street performance

Also, I mentioned a rear sway bar. That wouldn’t have done anything in your exact scenario. It would just help a little with body roll(side to side) and cornering stability
Hey .. i think someone who bashes their junk on rocks has a great understanding of body roll and stability. I appreciate any info you're willing to offer @Nickollie

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post
Wow. I’m just running some Gabriel’s on the back I think. I would Iikevto upgrade all around but am waiting for my lift - someday after braces, cavities, soccer, food, insurance, mortgage, ...............

Anyway, I’d just throw a new set of standard shocks in there and see if it helps.

I think the cage will help with twisting due to off-road work but I don’t know how much it would matter with what you are describing.

Yep, I just run cheap Gabriel’s or most my junk, or cheap pro-comps if I can’t find a Gabriel the right length. Somewhere around here I have a list of various Gabriel stock application lengths. You’d be amazed at the length of some old Cadillac and Oldsmobile shocks....

Good shocks would be cool some day, but Wife, daughter, bills, food, insurance..... at the end of the day I’m lucky to have gas money, let alone shock money
BroncMom likes this.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:11 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 4.9L EFI, ZF S5-42, BW 1345, 32in Falken AT3W
Garage
I recently replaced all of my shocks and it made a world of difference to the ride. It was bad enough that I was fighting my sloppy steering box, then all the body bounce from wind load on the highway also... Now I can comfortably drive the speed limit!

Even cheap shocks will go a long way, and if the ones you have are shot, then its a great place to start.
BroncMom likes this.

Derek

July 2019 FOTM

Build thread: '78 Ranger XLT... 4.9L EFI, ZF5, BW1345
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
I feel the cage/bar does help. However it must be tied to the the frame for it to help change the way bronco reacts to bumps (at least to be noticeable) Same reason the mustang or miata example works, they are unibody, therefore typically you pick up at least some frame "points" and tie them to others, so it helps.
This also is a reason why Solo and a few others sell solid aluminum body mount bushings, for caged broncos

Wheeling with the top off on a bronco can be bad on the b-pillar, especially right near the drip rail area. The frame on these does flex in the middle. The body will eventually tear right near the drip rails. A roll bar will help keep this from happening. I have seen this happen on even 99% street driven broncos with high mileage too.

Something to consider that may help with your shock situation, and also help add some rigidity is a under the bed shock mount.
https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop...for-12-shocks/ or
https://www.solomotorsports.com/shop...s-ford-bronco/
Few other places sell them too, or you could make it with a little bit of effort.
These let you mount a longer shock, which typically will work better offroad as increases available travel and there is more fluid to heat up so it take longer to fade. Also when one of these are mounted up it effectively adds an additional crossmember to the frame, helping to stiffen it up. At least in a side to side way.
BikerPepe` and BroncMom like this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Fullsize Member

Aluminum body mounts and a frame tied cage for a street queen? I just don’t see that making the street manners “better”. Jumping it, yeah, it will help hold crap together. And the b-pilar thing is valid, my cab is split and destroyed from wheeling it so long without a proper cage for most of the time
BroncMom likes this.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
I agree it is overkill, but it will help at least a little.... Is it worth it, thats up to anyone with their specifc bronco to decide. For most likely it is not.
For street use something like this kit for an f-150
https://www.buystifflers.com/harleyd...ingsystem.aspx
Would likely make a noticable differance. I can say it did on the f-150 I had, even on the street, during normal daily driver type driving.
BroncMom likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Well technically, a roll cage should be tired to the frame at every downleg. From there, you can brace the bed rails, B- pillars, and the roofline where the topper meets the body. If tied into the A-pillars too, it would keep the body rigid.

But it wont help your rear end bounce . That's springs, shocks, and maybe swaybar.
BroncMom likes this.

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 4:56 gears, Detroit locker, 35 inch BFG mud radials. 1996 XL 302, all manual
The B pillar issue is the reason I have been looking at Roll bars. To be honest I have owned my 1993 for 14 years and my 1996 for 5 years and neither one has had the top off. I have been waiting until I can afford to get a proper roll bar/cage to ensure no unnecessary twisting. I know that as soon as I take the top off one of them it will never go back on.
BroncMom likes this.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''SAS 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper HeftyFabworks front bumper
I have the cage from jeffs bronco graveyard, not tied into the frame or anything, its a little added safety. You would have to tie the cage into the body and frame for it to really add rigidity.
BigBlue 94 and BroncMom like this.

KEEP CALM AND BRONCO ON
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
@silentjde on instagram
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey @CrazyBRONCOguy i think what you're talking about in post 12 is a little extreme, more off road for what i was thinking, but your link in post 17 looks promising, like it would prevent some of what i was feeling... Add the new shocks, springs, leafs etc and we'd be there.

What might be a lil extreme now living in Northwest PA and being mostly a street Queen is bound to be a whole other ballgame when we move to Alaska, so i appreciate seeing the many different facets of hardware available for this particular scenario

Ps totally agree on the B pillar stuff... Was one of my biggest concerns when she started the rear end bs in Tidioute.

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, 400M, C6 transmisson
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncMom View Post
Hey @biggum , I was going about 50 on a 2 Lane 'highway' and they were doing construction. Hit a section and it was like i was driving on a wash board. Back end started hopping and shaking. At some points out felt like the neck wheels were bouncing in unison and sometimes it felt like one then the other like the rear was twisting a bit. Had my top off with 2 kayaks in the back and had to slow down to under 30 just to regain control and have the rear stop bouncing. I posted a thread right after it happened and general consensus was my shocks suck haven't had it happen again, but sometimes going down the highway esp at 65+ the rear tires feel every bit of bad road and it feels like they're fixing to start hopping again so i slow down. I have a front stabilizer but nothing that i can see on the rear.
Bronco's are a very short wheelbase vehicle, than add to that they have very little wheel travel in the rear and you have a formula for the rear to buck like that. Coming from a desert racing background I've seen this exact problem in the limited classes.

If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing.

-Chuck Yeager
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979Tonka View Post
Bronco's are a very short wheelbase vehicle, than add to that they have very little wheel travel in the rear and you have a formula for the rear to buck like that. Coming from a desert racing background I've seen this exact problem in the limited classes.
How did you guys remedy this buck?

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Off Topic Section > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode