Lifted Truck - Insurance Rant - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco, 79 Bronco, 93 F150
Angry Lifted Truck - Insurance Rant

Those with lifted trucks (over say 4"), who are you insured with and does your insurance company know about your lift?

Apparently I need to look for a new insurance company. This afternoon I walk into my agents office to make a payment and to inquire about getting additional coverage (audio/video, custom body work, tires/wheels, etc). Now my F150 is parked directly in front of their window, the lady takes my payment then asks what kind of coverage I'm looking for. Before I can say much she says, "how much lift is on your truck?" I replied, about 9" (figured I would keep quiet about the additional 3 in body lift). She then says, "ok, let me make a call". So she proceeds to call Progressive (who I am insured with and have been for the last 6 years), she tells whoever is on the other end about the lift, gives my policy number to them, says a few words and hangs up. Then she looks at me and says, Progressive will not insure a vehicle with more than 4" of lift and they have now noted my policy for non-renewal.

WTF... I have paid them $1800 per year for the last 6 years with no claims. The day I drove to their office 6 years ago to get a policy written the agent walked outside and did an inspection of the condition of the vehicle making notes as she went along. Returned inside and wrote up my policy. Back then the truck had 9" of lift and 40's on it. So, I asked her if she has another company that would insure it as is, she said "I don't know.." Well, would you mind checking around for me? She says, well like I said, I don't know of any other companies that would. As much as I tried to remain calm and maintain my composure I snapped back to her that the whole deal was pretty shitty and so was her services and walked out the door.

So, now Im on my own trying to find a company that will insure all of my trucks since all of them are lifted and running on 40's. I have tried several other speciality ins companies before but one condition holding me back is that they are not kept in a garage.

Suggestions anyone? And please don't reply with build a garage, as much as I want and need that, it is not an option right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Bronco Info: 86 EB, 302 AOD, 31's, wanna-be prerunner
maybe try one of the companies that specializes in classic cars, they might have a larger realm of vehicles the insure.

1986 eb, warn hubs, ghetto k&n, msd dizzy and coil, bunch of other cool stuff SOLD

http://www.supermotors.org/users/78broncoboy
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:30 PM

Bronco Info: 89 XLT 5.0L-EFI AOD Tow Package
Me....I would never "talk" about my lift to any insurance co. I mean no matter how bad I would want to brag "oh ive got 20 inches of lift riding on 50's?" I know those bastards could care less about my rig, actually they would prefer to kick me out or rape me afterwards with the new price. My advice would be try to find someone who will insure a 4-6 inch lift and dont mention it being any bigger than that.

89 Ford Bronco XLT w/ 5.0L 302EFI V8 SS Mega Monster AOD w/ Wide Ratio Gears, 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers and Eagle Alloy 187 15x8 Rims, K&N Ghetto Kit, Goodyear Hi-Miller Hoses, Accel Ign Coil, Accel Cap & Rotor, Accel Extreme 9000 Plug Wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs &.55, Remote Tranny Filter, Audio & Video System, Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Alarm System, and a lot of other little stuff.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE

Bronco Info: Broncos Are Gay.
I don't tell the insurance company jack-sh!t about what's in my rigs, just keep receipts to show what it was worth and show them everything if something happens, otherwise it's a don't ask don't tell policy, if they don't inspect it (over the phone they never do) then it's on them as long as i pay my premiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bronco925 View Post
Oldyeller seems to be in-human. He never makes mistakes and is always right. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 & 3-inline6's
my rear is getting real sloppy
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't have said anything, but it was parked in front of their office window and when she asked me directly, I wasn't going to lie (too much) to her.

Classic and custom insurance is not an option as stated above due to garage requirements.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:04 PM
hates EVERYTHING!

Bronco Info: Jesus loves you!!! I think you're a cocksucker!
I lie..

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 PM
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
I lie..

I even went so far as to tell them i only drive 2000 miles a year, and my wife drives 1500 or less. Low mileage discounts are great!

Seriously call any insurance company and give them the vin over the phone, you can have insurance in less than 1/2 hour, tell them you keep it in the garage for pete's sake. and don't tell them about any lift or anything. How are they gonna know?

Quote:
Oldyeller seems to be in-human. He never makes mistakes and is always right. Enough said.

Quote:

Last edited by Oldyeller; 10-10-2006 at 06:12 PM. Reason: 2000 posts, hope david doesn't see this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
crank trigger

Bronco Info: 94 XL M5OD, 5.0, Ghetto K&N, 130A G3
give american national a call. especially if you are a homeowner.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Well it would be all fine not telling them about it until I NEED the coverage. So I go out and total it and they stroke me a check for $2500...then what?

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordgirl View Post
Well it would be all fine not telling them about it until I NEED the coverage. So I go out and total it and they stroke me a check for $2500...then what?
I'm taking it that you don't keep receipts for the parts and work you do/get done?

Then it's your own fault, welcome to owning older vehicles, and yes 10+ years is old to an insurance company.

EDIT: and on the subject of 2500, what would you expect for a 78/79/93? I'd say maybe a few grand more for the 78/79 and maybe just maybe 9 or 10k for the 93, but we're not talking about trucks worth 10k here. You're gonna pay insurance out the ass trying to get money for them that you'd never get anyway.

No offense, but old vehicles are old vehicles, until they are classics of course.

Quote:

Quote:
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
crank trigger

Bronco Info: 94 XL M5OD, 5.0, Ghetto K&N, 130A G3
don't give them a reason to deny coverage. i say be open with what you are insuring. anything can be insured. even big trucks.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:21 PM

Bronco Info: 94 Eddie Bauer 351 auto
First off, forget about progressive and geico. Both those insurance companies suck majorly. Maybe not to you people who have them, but at our shop we're turned down insurance work JUST because they had progressive or geico. They screw everybody.

second, 1800 bucks a year is a major rip off. Either that or its just damned expensive out east. im paying 1400 a year for full coverage agreed value on my 74 charger , valued at 15.5k, and liability on these ones, my 94 buick, 87 dakota, 84 dodge ram, 79 bronco, and my 93 dodge grand caravan. Hell i only pay 11 bucks a month for my bronco and 12 for my ram.

Check with state farm, and dont go out and tell them it has a huge amount of lift either. if they ask say it has a lift, then say you think its 4" or something like that. then say you bought it that way so your not sure. that way you can play the "what? I didnt know it had 9 inches of lift" card later if they catch on.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 98 TJ
Try Nationwide...thats who mine is insured with...they asked if i had a lift, told them it was only 6 inches and sent in pics...(at the time it was only 6) never had a problem with them yet.

Tim

Newest token Jeep owner....

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
94_chickentaco

American family has no problems with my bronco, my agent digs it. And he covered my lifted excursion too. Never mentioned crap about a lift.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I'm taking it that you don't keep receipts for the parts and work you do/get done?

Then it's your own fault, welcome to owning older vehicles, and yes 10+ years is old to an insurance company.

EDIT: and on the subject of 2500, what would you expect for a 78/79/93? I'd say maybe a few grand more for the 78/79 and maybe just maybe 9 or 10k for the 93, but we're not talking about trucks worth 10k here. You're gonna pay insurance out the ass trying to get money for them that you'd never get anyway.

No offense, but old vehicles are old vehicles, until they are classics of course.
I understand what you are saying and I am by no means new to owning older vehicles. I have had the 79 Bronco since 1981. The Bronco's are not my main concern as far as additional coverage, etc. I only carry liability coverage on them, its the F150 that I want additional coverage on. If I total the Bronco's I wouldn't be covered anyways. I do have receipts for everything that has ever gone into any of the trucks. I don't mind paying what they charge as long as I am covered.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to the other replies who have actually given me useful info and advice.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:18 PM

I've been with Geico for a few years now, after Progressive busted my balls over an accident that wasn't my fault. I've never stepped foot into any Geico office, and over the years that I've been with them, I think I've talked to an actual person maybe three times. I've done everything over the internet.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Back in TEXAS

Bronco Info: 87 Eddie Bauer 5.0/C6/BW1356
I'm with State Farm and when I insured my vehicles there was never any question about lift. I droped Geico after I noticed every time that damn gecco was on tv it seemed my rates went up. I switched to National at that time and would still be with them except their nearest office is about 100 miles away ( I moved from FL to TX). I also have my homeowners insurance through State Farm now too which actually gets me a discount on both policies. If companies didn't include lifted vehicles here (Texas) they wouldn't last very long as almost every 4x4 in town has at least 4" lift, many have A LOT more.

Mike
My Super Motor's Link
87 EB, EFI 5.0, C6, Manual 1356, 32x11.50Rx15 Buckshot Mudders, Ravin exhaust, 9mm Ford Racing Wires, KN filter, Yukon 31 spline axles, Uniden 510 Pro CB

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
"The difference between fiction and reality, fiction has to make sense" Tom Clancy
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Can't Touch This!

Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
mda

Met Life has never given me any problems. I bounce trucks on and off the policy and everything is done over the phone or online. Hell my agent is in Kentucky and I have only met him once. I've discussed the trucks with him and there has never been an issue.
Frank Lanzisera likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode