Well, I wanted a project.. - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenerFab
  • 1 Post By GreenerFab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.8 200k+ Stock
Well, I wanted a project..

Two years ago I moved from Sacramento to the tip, top of California. Now that I've either found or bought all the tools I had before moving, i was thinking about a project that fit my suroundings better. I also now only smog once on transfer of ownership. Bronco was an easy choice, I had a anniversary edition in high school that I got for $200 and never got the 4wd working. Also from where I sit right now I can see a 74 f250, 96 psd f250, 05 expedition, 78 f150, and now also my "new" to me 96 XLT bronco with 5.8, manual hubs, e4od, and electronic TC. It got it from craigslist in yuba city for $700 and the right front is less than 0.5" from the bump stop. The guy talked himself down, really. I thought I was getting a pile of crap to build from but the more I dig the better everything is. Something like 240k on it, the e4od feels better than the last three e4od's I've driven. Overheated when throttle was applied; thermostat was backwards. The suspension on this thing is beyond its life, but I planned on replacing everything with polyurethane, save the radius arms which I need to find longer versions of. I intend to drive this in mud and snow, both packed and a foot-high fresh powder between plows. I want to fit 35s, and would like to severely cut fenders to keep the lift to a minimum, 2 inches or less, maybe stock or cc824 if I can get away without a lift kit. I'm also strongly considering dovetailing both the front and rear.. once I get my garage wired for a welder. Currently stuck with a 110 mig/arc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190808_135148_1565367545027.jpg (538.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190808_135129_1565367577429.jpg (458.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190808_135239_1565367610116.jpg (352.4 KB, 6 views)
biggum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 EB Bronco, 5.0, AOD, 4" lift, 35" tires, 4.56s
Nice project. Looks like itís going to be a fun rig once youíre finished with your plans as if it isnít already. I look forward to seeing your progress. Welcome to the forum!

IG @schaeferlight
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo GreenerFab,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Bronco! I suspect your pup rides shotgun.

Find out if the speed control recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ml#post6530073
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Forum FAQs @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...lies-faqs.html ... includes for example:
How to use Search @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...-advanced.html
&
Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ech-links.html

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) via 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsands...owner-manuals/

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.supermotors.net/registry/3549/15947-2 ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ http://owner.ford.com .

➡️ Try to take time to Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/

Contests will be held in JANUARY, MARCH, MAY, JULY, & SEPTEMBER. Each month in-between will be used for nominating contestants to run in the following Month.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)⚠️

Al

■■■■●●●●♡♤■♧◇♡■●7
Note, 96 is same as most earlier years especially 92-95, except for:
92 through 95 uses the Electronic Engine Control, version Four (EEC-IV, aka On Board Diagnostics (OBD-I)) engine management computer.
96 uses the OBD-II (EEC-V) engine management computer;
4WABS (93-96);

RABS (87-92);

Air Bag (94-96);

3 Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensors in 96 Federal emissions and one more in 96 California Emissions

3 Screw Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);
R134a in 94-96;

2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD;

Ford added Crankshaft Position Sensor, aka misfire detection sensor and the tone ring in 96. The misfire sensor is an electromagnetic inductance coil similar in operation to a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. A four-point stator, or pulse ring, located behind the crankshaft damper generates an electrical impulse in the sensor at each 90 degrees of rotation. The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) monitors the sensor pulses and flags any misfire events. When a specified number of misfires occur within a certain time frame, the powertrain control module will alert the driver to the condition by turning on the CEL.

Most 92-95 Speed Density (SD) EFI uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP), a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) & an Air Intake Temperature Sender (ACT) that gives the engine certain volumetric efficiencies over it's RPM range. SD EFI also uses what is called bank fire injection. 4 injectors are fired at one time on each side of the engine (only 2 wires for firing injectors from EEC-IV).

Mass Air Electronic Fuel Injection (MAF), aka Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) in all 94 5.0,
most 95 5.8 are SD, 95 5.0 & 95 5.8 California models are MAF and all 96s are MAF. Need to verify other Bronco years/engines.

Mass Air directly reads the mass of air (or number of molecules of air). By doing this, it can detect the changes in the volume of air, in addition to it's pressure & temperature. Mass air has one separate wire for each injector & fires them twice for every power stroke of the engine. This makes the injector timing more accurate & will help emissions along with power.

96 5.8 do not have the Air Injection (AIR), Secondary Air Injection; Pump (Smog Pump), Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) & Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoids; Diverter, Check & Bypass Valves, Cross-Over Tube, etc. But 96 5.0 does have the system.

Only 95 5.8L California models & all 96 have the Differential Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor instead of EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor.

The 96, Vapor Management Valve (VMV) replaces the canister purge valve (CanP valve) used in EEC IV. But the 96 manual still shows CanP valve probably because it was a late addition to the 96 production line.

The Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) in a 93 Bronco is located on the driver side frame rail, but in 94 through 96 it is on the master cylinder.
Still researching other differences.

Enjoy our site!
Al

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

This truck is more for my kids and family. Every time I walk to my expedition Bailey there runs to the Bronco and gets sad. I haven't even taken her out in it and she knows!

Thanks for the support youngDUMP!

Miesk5, I really appreciate so much info. I will store some for later, and look into some very soon! The recall check should be my next move. I was considering making a build thread but that can wait until I'm ready for some serious changes. Thanks for the post count advise, I can link to threads for more basic repairs after I make a build thread. And thanks for the abs differences I was worried it would only have rwabs. Either way it's not currently functioning and I'll need it for the snow.

I thought I could just smog it locally and then tinker on it until the winter since I have two other DD, ones 4wd, so I dont need this bronco. That's what makes it fun. Unfortunately I have to drive half an hour down the freeway to smog it, local shops only smog 2002 and newer now. So I think I will have to do much more before taking it on a trip like that.
miesk5 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Bronco Info: 86 XLT 351 HO, Holley 650, 3" Exhaust, 6L Up, 265/75R16 Dirt Commanders, & 85 302 EFI, AOD, 6L Up
Garage
Hey, looks like you bought a roll cage and got a bronco for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk.
https://binged.it/2LnJaeA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post
This guy gets it! Although in a rollover I'm not confident in this cage, I know it needs some angles in there, and I would like to build forwards from it. Still looking for options of a bar behind the front seats to accommodate 5pt harness mounting that is still friendly to rear seat passengers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:27 AM

Bronco Info: 1982 xlt lariat. 351 Windsor, Edelbrock 4bbl carb, c6 tranny, 4x4, auto locking hubs.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggum View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

❤ My '82 ❤

🇺🇸 USMC Wife & Mother 🇺🇸
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode