Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Interior Paint to match Tan Interior?

18K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  pakmule87 
#1 ·
I have a 95 EB with tan interior. Which interior paint matches the interior? Link would be helpful.

I have an expedition center console I need to paint and install.

Thx!

#2 ·
Best thing I can recommend is take a sample to O'Reilley's and have them pull out the Sem's vinyl dye sheet. Other stores might have it too, but I know O'Reilley's has it up here. I believe some of the good automotive paint shops can custom mix the dye also, but it's been a good while since I was around the shops.
Swamp

#4 ·
Heres the color chart. I dont thing the 15883 will work for a bronco tan interior. That color is a shade of grey.

I dont know which one will work, but if you figure it out, please post it up here so we can ALL benefit from it.

Looking at the second chart, light buckskin 15093 looks close to me just eyeballing it.

#7 ·
Heres the color chart. I dont thing the 15883 will work for a bronco tan interior. That color is a shade of grey.
Hmmm, the grey color that 15883 is rendering as on that image on my laptop doesn't resemble the paint itself. It's a dark and stormy day here and the Bronco is sleeping peacefully in its shed but to show the contrast here's a grey and dismal day pic of the paint cap on a random piece of original color plastic.

Or maybe my trim isn't the color I think it is? I have some grey trim from another bronco and it's a very different color, so if not tan, then what?

To the OP: You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Don't buy it blind, take a trim piece to the paint store and compare.

#5 ·
Although SEM is an excellent product, you may want to consider using Colorbond. Unlike SEM, Colorbond only lists the colors used in the Broncos.
A friend of mine used Saddle in his tan EB and it was a very good match. I used Colorbond and it is a very good product, no issues in the last three years. Click the link below

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

#8 ·
I didn't do my door panels but the stuff covers pretty good. If you are not doing a color change then I would say 2 cans should do it. I applied a minimum of three thin coats and got great results.
I did all the interior trim for top, rear side panels and my tailgate carpet and I "think" I bought 4 cans and had like a half a can left over. Its really good stuff.

If you are ever doing anything in black on the exterior such as wiper arms, bumper trim, mirror housings etc.., SEM's Trim Black is unbeatable. I painted alot of exterior trim with it and after a little over 3 years of the CA sun and washings everything looks great, zero fade.

#11 ·
You can also take your fuse panel cover to Lowes and have them mix up a small batch. Ive done that with a 93 tan to do a gauge pod and it tuned out perfect.

As far as SEM goes, I can attest to their quality and finish when properly prepped. I did my entire interior black several years ago and its held up perfectly.

#16 ·
I've been thinking about this so I don't have to buy new trim/panels everywhere. Can anyone post up some pics to see how it's turned out and held up? I figure painting will be much cheaper than buying all new, although I suppose I'll have to replace a lot of tabs along the way.

#19 ·
@ctandc A couple more questions if you don't ind. I saw you used the prep can from SEM. How many cans of that did you need? I assume 1 and only used on real dirty/greasy areas. Then how many cans to get good solid coverage? I plan to try to use a very light coat, then go over very light one or 2 more times to get good nice clean coverage that should hold I hope for years/forever. Do you guys think this will work?

#20 ·
One can of prep spray is plenty. Wash and clean the parts. Prep spray is used right before color. Light, multiple coats work best. One can was enough for changing from gray on two front door panels. If i were doing all the panels and trim I would probably get 4-5 cans to be safe.

#21 ·
Dang, thanks for the very prompt reply! Sounds good. To get in the cracks good, I'm thinking of using my cheap pressure washer from a distance...I think too close even as weak as it is it may damage/strip it. I just want to make sure I get all the dirt/grime from all cracks/holes. I think I can do this. I'm not near as handy as most of the people putting up these build threads. I am very thankful for you guys and the detail you guys put in!

#22 ·
No need for pressure washer - the set of rear trim panels I did were NASTY. Just use some spray degreaser (I like LA Awesome from the Dollar store - it's a DOLLAR and it's not toxic, did I mention it was $1?) Spray it down goo, use a rag or dish scrub sponge to clean up nasty spots. Rinse off, use some dish soap or car wash soap and scrub it down again real quick. Then dry it off, blow it off with a blow gun from your air compressor if you have on. Then spray some of the prep all on a clean lint free towel, and wipe it down. You don't have to use a lot. Then shoot it with color. HTH.

#23 ·
Cool, thanks for the advice again! Yeah I saw you use LA Awesome. We always have that in stock at the house lol. I will just do that then. My interior is kinda nasty at the moment. I can't wait to get this done. Probably be a couple weeks for me lol, but hope to have it done as quick as I can.

#24 · (Edited)
Anyone have the part number for 94-96 Opal Gray SEM paint?

the interior panel he painted has THREE colors on it. The color on the middle hump I believe is Opal grey for 94-96. SEM 15213 Blue Mist

#26 ·
It lasts a whiles. I actually did some "testing" when I first got some with an extra armrest and sat and rubbed it against my jeans for about 10-15 minutes without anything noticeable on the wear. I have had it wear down to a more dull finish on my door panel from resting my arms on it (did a 2 tone with semigloss black a few years ago), but probably the worst bit is the kick panels (maybe should have done better prep work) and the rear cargo panels where stuff gets tossed in that I particularly didn't care to have in my Bronco anyways (firewood) and has been scratched off, but you could probably expect that from any product put on plastic. If you want, you can email SEM and ask if they have any dealers in your area that can match the paint for you and put it in spray cans, don't know the price since I have yet to bother my local SEM dealer (which happens to be the Bumper to Bumper hub store for the area).

#27 ·
Thanks for the answer pakmule87. I was wondering the same thing as I'm redoing all my trim from mocha to the dark graphite (gray) now. I wonder if I should spray some clear coat on it after to help it be more durable. I really like the outcome and feel of the work when done as it feels natural though.

#28 ·
A clear coat would definitely help. My prep work wasn't as intense as some others, as I cleaned the panels with soap and water, and for some (I think I didn't do this on the kick panels) I used the SEM paint prep, but didn't do anything more than that. Either way since my 92 is down from a wreck, I plan on refinishing most of my interior (apart from the ragged door panels) before it gets back on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.