• 1 Post By miesk5
  • 1 Post By BigBlue 94
  • 2 Post By BigBlue 94

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1989 FORD BRONCO 351 XLT 100% ORIGINAL
Garage
Intermittent AC

When I first got my Bronco a couple month ago, the A/C was so cold I would have to cut it off. Now, she is just blowing hot air. Every once in a while, it will get cool, and then goes back to warm air.

I looked under the hood at the ac compressor and this is what I saw:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1...8_163750_1.mp4

Loose belt maybe?

Poppa

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by PoppaGator; 05-15-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: remove hyperlink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGator View Post
[IMG]httphttp://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1133258/fullsize/20180508_163750_1.mp4[/IMG]
Supermotors sucks for hosting videos. Neither are working for me.

Check the pulley for wiggle or sticky spots with the ac off. Then turn a.c. on and shut the engine down again. Check the pulley again. It should have more resistance now, but not sticky or wobbly.

My compressor locked up 120 miles from home once. Belt started smoking bad as it was running across a locked pulley.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
im going to try it on you tube
BigBlue 94 likes this.

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
https://youtu.be/0kjqsFixWI0

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo p,
I have bad vision
Is this occurring?
BigBlue 94 suggested;
Improper Accessory Operation (Power Steering or Air Conditioning)
Loose drive belt.
CHECK drive belt for looseness or GLAZING and REPLACE or ADJUST tension of manually tensioned belts if necessary.

Or is the compressor clutch cycling on and off? The clutch is mounted on the front of the compressor.
If you have voltage at the power side of the clutch connector and a good ground through the other side of the connector the clutch should work, either the clutch plate is broken, this could indicate a seized compressor or the electromagnet is burnt out. Test the clutch side of the connector with an ohmmeter, There is no spec in the book but I would guess around 50 ohms, I suspect you will see an open circuit. By Dave @ASA.

The air conditioning clutch is an electromagnetic clutch that is energized when the clutch cycling A/C pressure cut-off switch closes. The A/C pressure cut-off switch is located on the suction accumulator-drier. The closing of the A/C pressure cut-off switch completes the circuit to the clutch and draws it into engagement with the compressor driveshaft. by Ford

Low Pressure Switch Location; "...switch is located on the accumulator. This is also called the receiver/dryer. It is a cylinder, black or aluminum, mounted just ahead of the evaporator/blower assembly. The switch is threaded onto a port on the side of the accumulator. Here is a tiny photo of the general area you will be looking at; There should be a two wire plug attached to the switch. Unplug the connector, use a jumper wire to short the two pins together. Start the truck, turn on the A/C, verify if the clutch engages. If it does, then it a bad switch or extremely low charge of refrigerant that is causing your problem. The low pressure/clutch cycling switch is closed between ~24 and 45 PSI.If it does not work then it is another electrical problem further upstream. Your A/C should also have a high pressure switch. It should be attached to the line between the compressor and condenser, that would also prevent the clutch from engaging. The high pressure switch is supposed to open at ~400PSI..."

Source: by rla2005

Drive Belt Noise/Flutter

Drive belt chirp is a regularly occurring chirping noise that occurs due to pulley misalignment or excessive pulley runout. It can be a result of a damaged pulley or an improperly replaced pulley that was not properly aligned.

To correct, determine the area where the noise comes from. Then check each of the pulleys in that area with a straightedge to the crankshaft pulley (6312) and look for the accessory pulleys to be out of position in the fore/aft direction or at an angle to the straightedge.

Belt squeal is an intermittent noise that occurs when the drive belt slips on a pulley during certain conditions such as: engine start-up, rapid engine acceleration, or A/C clutch engagement.

Drive belt squeal can occur under the following conditions:

If the A/C discharge pressure goes above 2895 kPa (420 psi). This can occur if:

The A/C system is overcharged.
The A/C condenser core airflow is blocked.
The fan blade (8600) is not engaging fully at idle.
If A/C OFF equalized pressure (the common discharge and suction pressure that occurs after several minutes) exceeds 965 kPa (140 psi), which is a rare occurrence at high ambient temperatures with a hot engine, turn A/C off for a few seconds and then back on after fan blade begins to cool A/C condenser core.

If any of the accessories are damaged, or have a worn or damaged bearing or internal torsional resistance above normal for any reason. All of the accessories should be rotatable by hand in the unloaded condition. If any are not, the accessories should be inspected.

If fluid gets on the drive belt. Fluids include power steering fluid, engine coolant, engine oil or air conditioning system lubricant.

If fluid does get on the drive belt during service, the best policy is to clean the drive belt with soap and water and thoroughly rinse with clean water. The drive belt does not have to be replaced if no apparent damage has occurred.

If drive belt is too long. A drive belt that is too long will allow the drive belt tensioner arm to go all the way to drive belt tensioner arm travel stop under certain load conditions, which will untension the drive belt. If the drive belt tensioner (6B209) is resting on the stop, replace the drive belt.

If the drive belt tensioner is worn or damaged. The drive belt tensioner arm should rotate freely without binding.
PoppaGator likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Get your charge level checked. Having the compressor click on and off and on and off like that is a sign that you have low charge. The compressor fires up, the safety pressure switches see that you don't have enough refrigerant in the system to safely run it and shut down the compressor until they cool off/pressure returns to within normal parameters then the cycle repeats. Stop running your AC until you get this checked as while the safety switches are supposed to protect your compressor from grenading due to lack of refrigerant/oil, continuing to run the compressor in this marginal state does cause damage just as running your engine while low on oil causes accelerated wear.
PoppaGator likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Joy,
wiring diagram for your 89, by Ford is also attached.

Here it is in full size view;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180515-123638.jpg (215.6 KB, 51 views)
PoppaGator likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/

Last edited by miesk5; 05-15-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added full size diagram
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Aye, check fluid level as advised. The field coil controls the clutch, and it could be going bad, or have a loose wire somewhere too.

I bought a brand new compressor, pulley, and field coil from ford and it was about 1000 bucks, 4 years ago.
PoppaGator likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I was in a Hardees drive thru a few weeks ago I was sitting in line and the truck started squealing like a pig. I didnt even realize it was my truck. I was looking at the lady behind me thinking damn her car sounds like sht. Then some smoke bellowed out from under my hood. I cut the truck off and let the smoke clear. After I was confident it wasn't going to catch on fire, I cranked it back up. I have not had any other trouble like that other than the a/c not working.

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
That's almost exactly what happened when mine locked up. The only cure was to turn the a.c. off. That flipped the field coil off and the pulley started freespinning, allowing me to keep driving. I replaced the entire compressor assembly.
fordbronco1995 and PoppaGator like this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
sounds expensive man . lol

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode