Speed density vs. MAF for power adders on the 351 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 351, auto trans, manual hubs and tcase. 4" lift 33s, stock everything else (for now)
Speed density vs. MAF for power adders on the 351

Howdy folks -

I'm in the market for a Bronco and haven't narrowed down the year range I'm looking for quite yet. I prefer the exterior and interior look of the 80s and early 90s, but I think the '96 351 is going to be the easiest to juice up.

What kind of options are there on the speed density motors? Specifically, I'm eyeing a '91 that is in great shape and has a (relatively) low mileage 351 and e4od trans. I'd like to put a cam, intake, and exhaust (headers) on it... what kind of power could/should I expect from that? My understanding is that the cam options are pretty limited on the speed density motors... not so much on MAF though.

I'm not looking to build an entire engine or change any of the other internals. These are changes I'm planning on regardless of year that I find.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:11 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Ox White/Blue Int 5.8L 2Ē Level 33" Ridge Grapplers 17x9 M/T Classic IIIs Punisher Valve Body
Without power adders id imagine with a good set of heads, intake, cam and headers you could prob get 275-300 hp. Torque would be higher though depending on cam choice you could prob get about 350 or so on torque. With just a cam, intake and headers youll probably gain around 50 hp

They are rated at roughly 210 hp factory.

Anything with obdII is going to be easier to tune

EVERYTHING MANUAL EXCEPT THE TRANSMISSION
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 351, auto trans, manual hubs and tcase. 4" lift 33s, stock everything else (for now)
I think 300hp would be perfect. How much tuning needs to be done with fuel injection? All of my previous experience in increasing torque and HP is with carbs....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Any info on tuning? What is required when changing cams, etc?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Man of endless projects

Bronco Info: 96-Bronco 88-Bronco 90-F250
Garage
i will tell you that i have a Quarterhorse tuner on my 96 bronco. one would think it would be easier to tune but the strategy from Core Tuning is not flawless. that does not mean a Tweecer or other tuner will have those issues, thats jsut my issue is the strategy has a few issues. but the 96 is nice that i can run on a stock tune and use a calibrated maf if i needed to. right now im only using a lightly modified stock tune and its working better than most of my other more moderate tunes

they do sell MAF conversion kits but the only kit that i know works with E4OD is the Fiveology Racing kit. but it may be easier to tune than the stock 96 depending on what strategy they actually use. most of the MAF kits use a very common very tunable mustang computer. but with the E4OD they might use the 94-95 5.0 truck computer instead

SD can be tunes for different cams but depending on how agressive the cam is and how good the guy tuning is will determine how successful a tune it will be. since it relies on vacuum signals, really agressive cams will give hard signals to interpret. but that really shouldnt be such an issue since trucks dont like aggressive cams anyways because they need more low end torque than top end power
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 BKO XLT, 5.0, AOD, welded 8.8, carbon 4L10, 33's, Lightning headers, Saginaw, 3G
Here's a question I posted in a forum that specializes in EEC tuning and programming. I joined the forum because I came from the street car world of carbs and mechanicals just before I picked up my BKO. However, I needed to learn about how the BKO works and what its capabilities are as I had ZERO technical knowledge about the EEC systems and SD programming extents. Complete newb. I spent months researching and learning and this forum was a huge resource. My question covers exactly what you are asking, and if you care to read the whole thread, there is tons of solid technical info that was posted. I am also "silver70" in that thread. Hope this helps:

https://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21366
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 Bronco Eddie Bauer ~ 351w EFI ~ E4OD ~ BW1356 (Manual) ~ Manual Hubs ~ 265/75 r15
Garage
Even if you do buy a SD Bronco you can make it MAF,

https://shop.fiveologyracing.com/FOR...L-BLOCK_c7.htm

I currently run this kit, it works but you will need to have the ECU tuned to have good low end torque. (1100rpm to 2400rpm) Also you'll need to buy the $300 k&n maf filter. Its better then maf factory air box.

1991 Bronco Eddie Bauer ~ 351w EFI ~ E4OD ~ BW1356 (Manual) ~ Manual Hubs ~ 265/75 r15
1989 Centurion 350 ~ 460 EFI ~ E4OD ~ BW1356 (Manual) ~ Manual Hubs ~ 35x12.5 r17
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
My question covers exactly what you are asking, and if you care to read the whole thread, there is tons of solid technical info that was posted. I am also "silver70" in that thread. Hope this helps:

https://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21366
Thanks for the link! I'll scope it out and see what I can pick up.

The '91 that I was eyeing disappeared before I could go take a look, so it's back to the search. I may still end up with a MAF truck, but until I sell my current ride, I won't know for sure...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:17 AM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
If you like the 80s, just get a carbed 351 and forget about efi. You could always do aftermarket efi too. All 351s through 87? were carbed.

Otherwise, for SD you need to keep the LSA on the cam at 114į or more. It also likes certain durations. Comp 35-512-8 Is what i ran in my roller block 351. It wont work in any block before 94 when they made them rollerized.

I successfully ran that cam, AFR 165 heads, eddy intake, and different (high) compression. Desktop dyno rated it at 340 HP @4800 and 475 ft lbs at <2000rpm

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Desktop dyno rated it at 340 HP @4800 and 475 ft lbs at <2000rpm
This kind of power would be great if I could get it. I'd like to go EFI along with an e4od, but that does limit the year ranges I can look at ('91 and up, I believe). I'm sure something will turn up that will suit my needs sooner or later... can't really do much planning until then anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode