Leaking Bronco Top - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Leaking Bronco Top

I am having difficulty getting info regarding the bolts and screws for the top. Essentially the factory installed screws in the body have dropped so the bolts don't line up and can't thread into the screws. Any one have similar problems/ solutions?

its 92 XLT 5.8
thanks.

Nick Mann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco XLT 302, M5OD, 32" BF Baja Champions
Garage
Hey Nick,
I just replaced all the gaskets and seals on my top, along with the bolts and clips that line the edge of the topper. It's tedious, but it really pays off to do it right.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/WEA...partments/194/
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ful...uctinfo/38250/
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ful...uctinfo/38244/
You should be able to find everything here. Let me know if you have any questions/tips about the installation.

TheHalfJamaican
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:55 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmanndallas View Post
I am having difficulty getting info regarding the bolts and screws for the top. Essentially the factory installed screws in the body have dropped so the bolts don't line up and can't thread into the screws. Any one have similar problems/ solutions?

its 92 XLT 5.8
thanks.
i don't follow. there are a good number of those bolts that connect to a locking clip. you can replace those easily. what do you mean the screws in the body have dropped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
I'm confused, too... I'm thinking he's saying the threaded nut clip-on thingies have dropped down into the bedsides? THJ's second link above would be a good way to replace them all, or a junkyard donor. No one ever seems to grab those.
TheHalfJamaican likes this.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT / 5.8L / Auto / MAF Conversion / Hydroboost / D60/Sterling 10.25 conversion
Is he talking about those 2 crappy floating screw holes at the roof? If so, they are a PITA trying to get the long bolts to line up with them if they float around too much. I thought about cutting into the ceiling and taking those bastards out but it's more trouble than it's worth.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Yes it's the two 2 crappy floating screw holes at the roof. I have used double stick tape; it worked on the right side but not on the left. I think the tape got into the threads on the left side. It seems the floating nut is not pulling the top forward. Originally, was the floating nuts welded in place? I don't know. I think it needs to be riveted to keep the screws in place.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 Xlt 5.8l 351w with e4od and electronic shift. Manual locking hubs.
I think you guys are all talking about speed nuts. I've never had my top off but if they're the same clip on nuts that hold together pretty much the whole nose of the truck, they're called speed nuts.

And it sounds like yours are worn out. The only way those little suckers do a good job is if they haven't been removed or messed with. You might have luck taking a pair of lineman's pliers and squeezing the back side. Don't bother trying to squeeze the front. It won't work. You have to get them from where it bends around on itself and close that gap.

However, there's a good chance you're breaking it cause it's 22+ years old and a 16th thick.

When they're new, they bite just hard enough to not move freely in their slot.

I'm gonna try and find another source for them besides jbg because they're nucking futs with their pricing. On pretty much everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...3SS&th=1&psc=1

If you can get jbg on the phone you can do to them what I do to summit racing when I have a question. Ask for the specs on the part number and what diameter bolt they match. If they're dumb and tell you, put that into Amazon and bam.

Or, if you're more honest than myself, take the bolt to a decent building or hardware supply house and ask them to check diameter, pitch and thread count on your bolt. And then order accordingly.

The price shown on that link is for 2 bags of 20 pieces. Not 2 speed nuts. I was a little nervous I was gonna have to recant my previous statement about jbg.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Custom
Garage
The '92-96 hardtop bolts are M8x1.25, so the speed nuts (thanks for the name tip!) would need to match that.

'92 Bronco Build Thread - '95 MAF 5.0, H5 axle code, York OBA, 3G alt, custom jump seat console, flomaster steps/sliders.
http://www.supermotors.net/28006
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:47 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Yes, speed nuts. I couldn't remember the name.

I got these at a parts store, either advance or Auto zone, but obviously only used a couple.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT / 5.8L / Auto / MAF Conversion / Hydroboost / D60/Sterling 10.25 conversion
I hear you on JBG! They are selling Protofab's Dana 60 conversion and up charging $400!!! They're $1450 (powdercoated) $1250 (bare steel) on Protofab's site and $1650 (bare steel), $1850 (powdercoated) on JBG site. Protofab does all the work, they just put in the order!!!! I just don't understand it. Some items are priced pretty well but others are insane. I don't get it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojbronco4thewin View Post
I think you guys are all talking about speed nuts. I've never had my top off but if they're the same clip on nuts that hold together pretty much the whole nose of the truck, they're called speed nuts.

And it sounds like yours are worn out. The only way those little suckers do a good job is if they haven't been removed or messed with. You might have luck taking a pair of lineman's pliers and squeezing the back side. Don't bother trying to squeeze the front. It won't work. You have to get them from where it bends around on itself and close that gap.

However, there's a good chance you're breaking it cause it's 22+ years old and a 16th thick.

When they're new, they bite just hard enough to not move freely in their slot.

I'm gonna try and find another source for them besides jbg because they're nucking futs with their pricing. On pretty much everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...3SS&th=1&psc=1

If you can get jbg on the phone you can do to them what I do to summit racing when I have a question. Ask for the specs on the part number and what diameter bolt they match. If they're dumb and tell you, put that into Amazon and bam.

Or, if you're more honest than myself, take the bolt to a decent building or hardware supply house and ask them to check diameter, pitch and thread count on your bolt. And then order accordingly.

The price shown on that link is for 2 bags of 20 pieces. Not 2 speed nuts. I was a little nervous I was gonna have to recant my previous statement about jbg.

I hear you on JBG! They are selling Protofab's Dana 60 conversion and up charging $400!!! They're $1450 (powdercoated) $1250 (bare steel) on Protofab's site and $1650 (bare steel), $1850 (powdercoated) on JBG site. Protofab does all the work, they just put in the order!!!! I just don't understand it. Some items are priced pretty well but others are insane. I don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode