Project ďMean GreenĒ - DD 1994 Bronco - Ford Bronco Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Project ďMean GreenĒ - DD 1994 Bronco

After some searching, I stumbled across a 1994 Bronco from another member here on the forum. He reached out to me because of one of my posts looking for a project. Few weeks later and paperwork is signed and the newest build for me is here.

This is a 1994 FS Bronco, XLT. Optioned well with the 5.8 351 Windsor, dual shocks up front, 3.55 open diff. 268k miles. Body is in good shape for a near 25 year old truck. Itís not perfect and a project for sure, but I am very impressed with it, especially because I did not pay much for it. A big thanks to the PO for that one, he sold it for what he had in it since he wouldnít have the time to put into it.

The original motor is not installed. Completely apart and taken out of the truck, I do have all of the pieces that came with it though. A few pics are below, I will make a second post with my vision for the truck as well as initial findings in getting her home.

IMG_1191.jpgIMG_0086.jpg56614358401__D968DA19-86C6-43AF-8B16-76AB23D3092C.jpgIMG_1213.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bogie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

First few days on the build have gone well. I emptied out the cab, brought all engine pieces and hardware in the man cave. It looks like all pieces are there, but some of the rust on the crank, camshaft, heads, and pistons are pretty deep. I think the crankshaft may be salvageable, but the cam seems like the rust has penetrated enough to create pits as well as the heads being in bad shape with rust. I knew this would not be a guarantee on all of these pieces, so no big issue there, just would have been easier if everything was in better shape. The block seems to be great, is clean, has been hot tanked.

I am on the fence for next ways to go looking at the motor and pieces in the states they are in. Hereís the overview.

This truck will be the weekend, when in town, get around. I love FSBís and had a 1989 Bronco EB with the 302 for my first vehicle. I have a vehicle for work and travel. This Bronco will be the truck and fun for when Iím in town. So there is no rush on the build, even though I am excited to get it back on the road soon.

With the motor in its state right now, Iím unsure on next steps. If all the major pieces of the motor were in good shape, I was going to rebuild it back to spec and go from there, BUT hereís the options I consider...

A) Buy a long block assembly and use the current motor for a core, less exciting option, but not bad.

B) Go to the pull-a-part and find a 5.8 (or even 5.0 if thereís no issues in swapping it) and get it on the road. While I am using the truck, I will bore out the original motor, have it machined and begin the process of rebuilding it. I DO have 393 pistons, crankshaft, and I believe the 393 intake/exhaust valves. All those parts are salvageable I believe.

Open to your thoughts! at pull-a-part, I know itís a gamble, I would of course do whatever I can to check out what I would pull from in every way possible to at least make sure Iím not picking up a completely trashed motor.

But whatís nice is I think with option B, I can get the truck on the road pretty quick, and have an amazing motor on standby once itís built.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a 4BT swap or swapping in a power stroke from the same gen F250/350. I do know that would require a LOT of work though and am unsure if itís worth the effort. So Iím kind of at a standstill on the motor situation. Sitting back and trying to think what would be best. If I would go the power stroke route, I would get a donor F350 and use it. Would be great to get a straight axle swap and upgrade to a 1 ton drivetrain underneath, but once again, thatís a lot of manhours.

Always open to your thoughts! Iíve enjoyed reading through this forum and am glad to be a part of it.

Thanks!

KT

miesk5 and Dee like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

IMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpg56719037334__6957F829-205D-4D12-846C-EAA08893A853.jpg

From no tire carrier to tire carrier. Also cleaned up the paint on passenger side with clay bar, ultimate compound, and liquid glass sealant. Paint cleans up great for the 25 year old original. Also removed the chrome lower body mounding add-ons. Not sure how long they were on there for, but the adhesive was tough to remove.

miesk5 and Frank Lanzisera like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Update, after searching, and a little luck, I have sourced a complete donor for the Bronco. I will post about some of the technical questions, but I found a running 1993 F-150. 5.8/4x4 and extended cab. This truck should give me everything I need to get back on the road. In addition, it has the manual transfer case which I really wanted for my Bronco. Almost feel bad dismantling it, but at least it wonít continue to sit.IMG_1668.jpgIMG_1672.jpg

I6-Kid likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

57687377834__F4F3A494-737D-4C80-9268-FC8C82CE6F4A.jpg

Making progress. Turned the Bronco around in its spot under the shed and was able to squeeze in the donor truck and close the gate after removing both bumpers.

I have gone through the donor truck and changed all fluids as well as taking it for a drive. Itís not road worthy with an extremely loose steering gearbox and a passenger front brake caliper hanging, but the engine, transmission, and transfer case are flawless with no check engine lights or other issues aside from a vacuum leak. But Iíll take care of that leak after making the swap into the Bronco.

Hopefully I will be able to pull out the transmission and transfer case in the Bronco and start getting the donor truckís drivetrain ready for the swap. Should be able to at least get the engine out in the next few weekends. Iím planning on replacing the exhaust manifolds while the motor is out and am considering other gaskets and items to replace while I have full access.

Iím trying to think of all possibilities and things to work on. Really trying to take it slow and not speed too fast into it, but I am READY to be done and driving my Bronco. I bought it in undriveable shape, so getting it on the road for the first time should be quite the experience.

miesk5 likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:29 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT, 351W, E4OD
May the force be with you! Love that color!
RGINCAJUN likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
You've got quite the task ahead of you. Looking good though!
RGINCAJUN likes this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco Eddie Bauer
Awesome! I look forward to reading your posts.
RGINCAJUN likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Update, no pics but I made a quick lunch break run to pull-a-part yesterday. Scored an OEM aluminum rim (which will match up with the other 3 I already found on a previous JY run) so now I have a full set of OEM aluminum bullet holes...

also scored what I believe is a 5R110 transmission pan for 10 bucks, it was worth it. I know people are using the 4R100 pan because of the drain plug, id imagine the 5R110 can be used as well? Showing same bolt pattern at minimum as my E4OD.

Last thing, scored lifting eyes from a 95 F-150 302. So removal of my donor engine just got a little easier.

Only thing I should need to complete the project is tires (and to actually complete the swap). Does anyone have a set of tires in a 33x12.50R15 or a 32x11.50R15 theyíd trade for some F150 parts? I have a 1993 F-150 4x4, there wonít be a motor, transmission, or transfer case, but Iím willing to trade body parts or anything else of use for a set of tires.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGINCAJUN View Post
Update, no pics but I made a quick lunch break run to pull-a-part yesterday. Scored an OEM aluminum rim (which will match up with the other 3 I already found on a previous JY run) so now I have a full set of OEM aluminum bullet holes...

also scored what I believe is a 5R110 transmission pan for 10 bucks, it was worth it. I know people are using the 4R100 pan because of the drain plug, id imagine the 5R110 can be used as well? Showing same bolt pattern at minimum as my E4OD.

Last thing, scored lifting eyes from a 95 F-150 302. So removal of my donor engine just got a little easier.

Only thing I should need to complete the project is tires (and to actually complete the swap). Does anyone have a set of tires in a 33x12.50R15 or a 32x11.50R15 theyíd trade for some F150 parts? I have a 1993 F-150 4x4, there wonít be a motor, transmission, or transfer case, but Iím willing to trade body parts or anything else of use for a set of tires.

You may need to double check on compatibility of the pan. I just purchased an aftermarket deep pan made by B&M that uses the 5R110 filter. My concern is that the filters are different and you will simply need to upgrade to the newer style filter. That is what I had to order for the aftermarket pan, so that tells me there are differences. But, it should swap right on and is probably an upgrade too. Anyone else have any input?

tim
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tim!

I noticed the filter was different for sure, but Iím perfectly fine with updating to a newer style filter. Super simple and hopefully the design got better with time!

TS 90F150 likes this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Update: teardown to prepare the donor truck for transferring the engine is going great. Good progress this weekend with the only big things left to do is remove the computer harness, move the fuel rails, and get the 351 swapped out.

After a lot of soul searching. Iíve decided to keep the transmission and transfer case thatís currently in the bronco. I will still remove the E4OD and Manual transfer case from the donor truck and keep those on standby, but from everything I can see, the transmission and transfer case already in the bronco should be fine. So Iíll just swap the motor and wait to see if I need to swap in the donor tranny after getting the Bronco back on the road.

Getting excited because Iím on the homestretch for getting the motor out of the donor truck. I also got all gaskets and I plan on refreshing all gaskets for the motor and replacing water and oil pump while it is out. Motor wonít be completely new, but it will be ready to go with as much new updates as possible.

Hopefully I can finish up the few things on the motor and pull next Saturday and get started on the cleaning/refreshing of the motor.57878323314__8CD19C1B-3BF2-4AE3-B2FB-A17A59031F3B.jpg

TrEaDeR likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Getting closer to completion. Sourced a set of BFG mud terrains in a 33x12.50 from Facebook. Finished product should look incredible at the rate itís going!IMG_1972.jpg

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
This is fantastic! I'm looking foward to seeing this get buttoned up with all the new bits!

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
This is fantastic! I'm looking foward to seeing this get buttoned up with all the new bits!

Yup! Slow weekend with Motherís Day, but Iím hoping Incan get the motor from the donor pulled next weekend. With just the fuel rails and transmission bolts being my only hold ups, Iím almost there!Then the real fun begins with engine clean up. That will likely be another weekend as well.

My main goal is to get things buttoned up and at least on the road for June. The Bronco was built in June of Ď94. So I think itís important that itís 25th anniversary is spent not being parked. Lol

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Some eye candy. Got the wheels and tires mounted up. Motor will be coming out of the donor this weekend. Stay tuned!

58015790132__3E57A2AE-148A-4222-9626-69B294E8BD96.jpg58015788619__56FD5324-829F-4D93-AA04-49922FE10A5B.jpg

TS 90F150, SRWillis and I6-Kid like this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.0L, E4OD, Bassani headers/exhaust, factory tow pkg. & 31x10.5-15’s on USMag 5 slots
Garage
Wheels and tires look good!

Good luck on the engine swap.

M
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:23 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 EB
Garage
Looking good man I like the green I wish I could say I was going to have mine going by June
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190115_170714.jpg (716.5 KB, 2 views)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 PM

Bronco Info: '95 XLT. Tobago Green & White. 5.8L, E4OD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGINCAJUN View Post
Some eye candy. Got the wheels and tires mounted up. Motor will be coming out of the donor this weekend. Stay tuned!

Attachment 136652Attachment 136654

Are those the stock 15x7.5 Alcoa wheels with the 33x12.50x15s mounted? Any clearance problems?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco,50. 302 EFI eod aut trans , 6 inch suspension 3 inch Body lift,Manual 4x4, 35 in tires
Garage
looks great looking forward to seeing how it is going
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode